How to get a foundation in tribal without classes?

Muse

I am new to belly dancing, though I take other dance classes regularly (ballet mostly, but also a bit of burlesque). From the performances I've seen, I most identify with the mysterious, earthy look and movement of tribal style.

Twice a week I take a 45 minute bus trip to a neighboring city for ballet and college classes, and they apparently have a very good belly dance studio there. Unfortunately it's in a very seedy neighborhood, and I don't feel comfortable waiting for the bus at night. :(

Hopefully I will eventually be able to carpool or they will offer a beginner class in the daytime, but until then I want to learn all that I can from home.

In order to be as ready as possible for my first "real" class, what can I do to teach myself?

Can anyone reccomend any DVD's/Online videos/books that would give me the basic movements of tribal style?

Daimona

Check what kind of tribal format is taught at the studio (or you prefer) and go for that.

For foundation in ATS (American Tribal Style), Fat Chance Belly Dance DVD series is the way to go. For foundation in other formats you have groups such as Black Sheep Belly Dance and Gypsy Caravan.

If you prefer the solo dances, look for DVDs by Zoe Jakes, Rachel Brice etc.

There are many dvds available and several of them are listed somewhere in this forum, such as this thread: http://bellydanceforums.net/instructors-students/14593-instructional-dvds.html.

Munniko

Thanks for the links, I was wondering myself if there was a way to expand my dance style knowledge bank without having a class everyday of the week. I will definitely have to get on these videos.:dance:

Tammyraks

I know that Fat Chance had some very good instructional DVDs, I had some of them at one time, years ago. I thought they were pretty informative:).

Thanks for the links, I was wondering myself if there was a way to expand my dance style knowledge bank without having a class everyday of the week. I will definitely have to get on these videos.:dance:

Muse

Thank you for the help.

I think my favorite and long-term goal is tribal fusion. In terms of dance in general I'm very non-traditionalist, I always want to try something new and express something differently, and I don't like choreographing/costuming within a rigid set of preconceptions. Tribal fusion seems to be very unrestrained creatively, with a lot of personal style.

I'm definately going to look into those Fat Chance dvd's as a basis in ATS. My problem with a lot of the fusion dvd's that I've seen is that they have more stretching/yoga than dance technique. I stretch daily at the barre and have other dvds for strength and conditioning, I'm looking for good instruction on technique, not a workout.

Kashmir

If you want to do Tribal Fusion long term, the first step would be to become very familiar with ATS. With a teacher this would take a few years - off DVDs - probably longer. It is also a good idea when working on your own to get some private lessons to make sure you are on the right track every few months. Otherwise you can spend time practicing the wrong technique which can be hard to unlearn.

Also keep in mind a huge part of ATS is learning how to synch with a group ie learning to give and understand cues. Working alone this whole area will be weak.

befree

If you love ATS above all (as I do) fat chance belly dance videos are must-haves. You would need at least videos 1 and 4 to get a basic background in the moves. What about attending a 1 or 2-day workshop event? That would let you immerse yourself and see if you really like it.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that Tribal and Tribal Fusion BOTH begin and revolve around either Jamila Salimpour's format or (and/or) the format of her daughter, Suhaila. So I would seriously suggest checking out (if you haven't already) Suhaila Salimpour Official Website | Belly Dancing

Then (in my observation) the whole "Tribal Fusion" genre breaks into 2 styles:

1. People who are using a strong base of ATS/ITS
2. People who are using a strong base of Suhaila format (with or without the ATS base)

and actually then there is a third:

3. People who are moving into the Contemporary Dance or Interpretive Dance category, who don't have an obvious base in either of the above. Usually they refer to themselves as "Dance Theatre" rather than TF, although they perform at a lot of Tribal and TF events.

I think my favorite and long-term goal is tribal fusion. In terms of dance in general I'm very non-traditionalist, I always want to try something new and express something differently, and I don't like choreographing/costuming within a rigid set of preconceptions. Tribal fusion seems to be very unrestrained creatively, with a lot of personal style.

Well, we could argue that :) lol. I personally think TF is too limiting for me -- such a small movement vocabulary, and the kind of music that has evolved into being the "standard" for TF is REALLY limiting, imo. But I love the variety you get from "Oriental" --whether Greek, Lebanese, Turkish, Egyptian folk, Egyptian Classical, Egyptian pop, etc.

Keep in mind that if you like something more earthy, don't dismiss Egyptian. As I am constantly reminded in class, Egyptian is Heavy -- a lot heavier than what I was doing in my Turkish/American format.

I'm definately going to look into those Fat Chance dvd's as a basis in ATS.

Fat Chance created ATS from Jamila Salimpour's movement vocabulary, so you might also want to check out the Jamila archive dvd from Suhaila International. There's no stretching -- it's all just one big movement catalog.

Your main Tribal groups are:

1. Fat Chance (has a series of DVDs)
  2. Gypsy Caravan (has a series of DVDs numbering around 13 I think now.)
  3. Black Sheep Bellydance (has a couple of older dvds and 2 newer -- better ones)

So any or all of those DVDs will be a good starting point. I'm personally more attracted to the format from Gypsy Caravan, but that's totally a personal preference.

In any case, if your long-term goal is Tribal Fusion -- you really can't go wrong with taking the online classes with Suhaila. I've been in TF workshops with several different instructors and they ALL refer back to her format. It's different from Tribal -- the movements are generated differently. Suhaila and Jamila have similar formats, but they are different enough to actually work together to create something interesting and fresh and new -- and if you want to be different and non-traditional, you'll find a LOT of inspiration in their work.

My problem with a lot of the fusion dvd's that I've seen is that they have more stretching/yoga than dance technique. I stretch daily at the barre and have other dvds for strength and conditioning, I'm looking for good instruction on technique, not a workout.

Ah, well, that's a big part of the TF "culture" -- the Yoga and conditioning. You get a lot of that in the online classes too. BUT -- the technique is exactly what you'll get with Suhaila's online classes. That's almost entirely what those are about. You can always fast forward through the conditioning part.

befree

FCBD has recently started posting "drills" on youtube. These are just a few minutes of focussed instruction. "FCBD Four Basic Fast Moves" might be useful to you.

PracticalDancer

Hello, Muse. I think I may know of you and may have seen you dance before. Do you dance with Maharal?

If so, then I am very familiar with the studio you mention, and understand your concerns. There is one teacher there who is grounded in Salimpour techniques and would be worth your time in classes in order to get a solid technique for the fusion you want to study. PM me for details.

But, if that is not an option, what about Suhalia's online classes? (Class Content & Descriptions | Suhaila Online Classes) I have not taken them; but, that instructor has. When she couldn't get to studios or workshops, she invested in the courses and found them very beneficial.

Nothing beats the feedback and injury prevention of a live instructor. However, if that is not an easy option . . .

Muse

I'm afraid outside of student/community ballet recitals, and on stage with some local bands, I've never performed anywhere, so it can't have been me you've seen. :lol:

For the past few weeks I've been sick, and trying to struggle through crazy conditioning classes, work, and three hour lectures on cave paintings, so taking up a new art form has been the last thing on my mind. I'm feeling ok again now, and ready to get my feet wet at least!

While I would very much like to take those online classes, my internet connection is awful. I'm looking into getting that fixed, but it may be awhile considering I live in the middle of nowhere. I'm waiting for a little more cash in my pocket to order the first of the Fat Chance DVD's, but in the meantime I asked around the studio and managed to borrow two tribal fusion DVD's, Irina Akulenko's and Ariellah's. I know they're probably not the best, but at least I can start to familiarize myself with the vocabulary and work on isolations.

As for live classes, it *appears* that studio now has a beginner class on Sunday afternoon, so if I could plan a bus route, I might be in business. I'm going to look into it this weekend.

Greek Bonfire

If you want to do Tribal Fusion long term, the first step would be to become very familiar with ATS. With a teacher this would take a few years - off DVDs - probably longer. It is also a good idea when working on your own to get some private lessons to make sure you are on the right track every few months. Otherwise you can spend time practicing the wrong technique which can be hard to unlearn.

Also keep in mind a huge part of ATS is learning how to synch with a group ie learning to give and understand cues. Working alone this whole area will be weak.

This - totally necessary for foundation before fusion.