2013 Weather thread

Daimona

I do love the crisp sound of snow when walking at temperatures below -7 C/19F (tonight).
I do not love the feeling when walking through slush because the temperature suddenly rose and the snow almost melted (last Sunday and Monday).
I hate how slippery it gets when the melting snow suddenly freezes again (happened last Tuesday, I really need to find those studs for my shoes).
And I detest water as melted snow on top of slippery ice because the temperature got higher again.. (which would be this weekend if the weather forecast is accurate). *sigh*

Last edited:

Shanazel

Wow, Ezma. No wonder Mr. Shanazel left North Dakota for the relative warmth of Wyoming. We h e snow predicted for the rest of the week but not that much. We are about 17 inches of snow behind the season and looking at another summer of drouth.

Aniseteph

Wasn't there a weather thread somewhere?

I'm sure there was a current weather thread, but I can't find it. (Mods please merge this in if there is one...)

Anyhoo being English, I feel the need to go on about the weather 'cos it's what we do.

Last Tuesday I was in London in St James' Park and it was a lovely warm spring day, sunshine and everything. Today it has been snowing and we are not good at snow. We got chucked off the bus when, after a 45 min journey that normally takes 20, it took a diversion due to a road closure, got a little way up the hill, then went down it backwards quite a lot. :shok:

Fortunately it was a short if blizzardy walk to the station where the trains were just about hanging in there, prepearing to trickle to a standstill. It was snowing INSIDE the station. I get that a bit blows in from outside, but it's one of those old terminus stations with a huge roof over the whole shed, and this was right inside.

I do not hold out any great hopes for tomorrow's commute as the Met Office has issued an amber warning for snow (one worse than yellow ;)). And school is going to shut because their drive is slippery. :rolleyes:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
There was - I just searched & found a 2010 & 2008 threads, but am sure there was one for 2012 with a couple of posts this year. I'll merge if I find it other wise we can make this the 2013 weather thread.
~Mosaic

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Thanks Daim, I've merged the threads. I knew there was one, but couldn't for the life of me find it.
~Mosaic

Aniseteph

It must have fallen own the back of the virtual sofa, because I couldn't find it either.

Thawing now with bright sunshine. Crazy. :rolleyes:

Ariadne

It's been schizophrenic lately here. I goes from beautiful sunny days to grey and windy and you never know which it will be when you get up until you look outside.

Shanazel

Snow, snow and more snow. My husband calls it time release rain but this is April and I say the hell with it.

BigJim

We are not getting any snow from the sky today but we still have enough on the ground... 2-3 feet left to melt... at least there hasn't been a fast thaw which would leave us with heavy flooding... but there was snow on the ground here 20th oct 2012 and that will make it over 6 months in a row... I think spring has been canceled in our part of the country..

Ariadne

Aarrgghhh! Frost this morning!... That can't be good for my garden! *mutter*mutter*

We're supposed to be past the last frost.

Shanazel

Even more snow and now the wind is picking up and snow is starting to drift. I may not be able to get out of my driveway, much less down our dirt road to the paved one. Then there is the usual major drifting problem on the street along the golf course, especially since they took downs the snow fences last week.

I hate to cancel class but I think I'm going to do it. No one needs to be out tonight in these conditions.

Just checked the weather report and discovered the weather people are naming winter storms now. This one is Yogi, like the bear and the baseball player.

A nice cuddly name for a nice cuddly storm.

Not.

Last edited:

Daimona

Shanazel: How can you not like yogi the winter storm? ;)
I hope spring will come to you soon.

Until now, where I live spring has been very cold, and at least 3 weeks later than normal. We have finally got some nice and warm days (i.e. warm for April), app. 10-15 C and sunny. Unfortunately the trees are getting horny and have started the pollen season, and the allergy sufferers are hoping for some rainy nights to clear the air knowing that it will only become worse the next month.

Last edited:

Jane

27F and snow on the ground here in Montana. I need a belly dance snowsuit or something.

nitewindz

That is cold! Normally we have weather like that in Fargo but this season has been very oddly warm. Today it's freezing rain and tonight a snowstorm is moving in. Still not cold though.

Have you ever taken a pot of boiling water outside and thrown it up into the air when it's really cold? It's awesome.

From Boiling to Frozen - YouTube

Oh gosh back in the 90s we had a four day cold streak. The temp did not get above 0 F and the low was -25. We did that and it was fun!

Usually Cleveland Ohio hits 0 or below once or twice a year.

Erik

Hi, dancers. It's me, Erik the Good Weasel.

Just enjoying this beautiful November weather....except that it's the 5th of May. Cinco de Mayo and all that. So what gives here? :think: