Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mad Copying other dancers choreographies from videos

I remember some heated discussion about some Russian dancers dancing exactly the same choreography than some American dancer did... Now it seems that Turkish superstar Didem is doing the same without any hesitation and for sure without giving any credits to the original dancers or choreographers.

Worst example was her dancing a pathetic copy of Amar Gamalīs Wings of Isis at New Year show and previously she has already copied dances from e.g. Jillina, Rachel Brice, Tamalyn Dallal (she seems to have Bellydance Superstars video ) and also several Bollywood movies.

Ok copying can be thought to be a form of flattery but at least I am pissed that many idiots at e.g. YouTube praise Didemīs originality and nice moves when in fact they have been done before and usually even better. My appreciation for Didem is now close to zero because of this but should we jsut accept that because she is from Turkey and she is a superstar?

Here are some copycat examples:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiraze
    Ok copying can be thought to be a form of flattery but at least I am pissed that many idiots at e.g. YouTube praise Didemīs originality and nice moves when in fact they have been done before and usually even better.
    IMO copying is only a form of flattery when the dancer who is copying tells the audience she will be dancing a choreography by X or even better to ask X first if it is ok to dance her/his choreography. If you pretend it's your own, it's just stealing.
    I can understand you have no appreciation for her left. People who give her good comments probably don't know the choreographies are copied. I also didn't know. I still think she's a good dancer but copying other dancers' choreographies without informing the dancer or the audience definitely doesn't make you a superstar!

Post Thanks / Like

When using an intructional video that has a bonus choreography, the instructor usually encourages the students to 'make it their own" by adding thir own stype and personality. The same is true for choreographies taught in the workshop setting. However with performance videos, no such encouragement is provided and using the exact same music and choreography is creative infringement. In the video age we get to see who's copying whom now.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Life is WAY too short to give a moment's thought to what YouTube Idiots think.

I agree with Yasmine about using choreographies off instructional video - a bit unimaginitive IMO but I guess that's what it's for, at student level at least. But professionals nicking other dancers' choreographies - . Yasmine's right - it might impress the ignorant, but we know what you're doing and it doesn't make you look big or clever.

As far as dancing ability goes I value the opinions of fellow dancers who know what they are looking at more than those of the general public who are happy enough to see someone shaking it in a sparkly costume. But then I'm not a showbiz superstar who knows where the money comes from

Post Thanks / Like

The music is the same and the costume/wings look similar. However, I honestly don't see much evidence of choreography theft. They both do lots of barrel turns. But that's one of the obvious things to do with wings.

Sedonia

YouTube - Amar Gamal
    Last edited by sedoniaraqs; 02-03-2007 at 06:20 PM.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's the BDSS copying other people to be honest. It's most likely Didem hasn't a clue who they are...

Didem isn't the only one with the same 'routines' as the BDSS.

Hisham Abbas' song and video are played upon in the BDSS bollywood, and they used his music.

Here....

YouTube - Hisham Abbas - Nari Nari

YouTube - Bellydance Superstars - Bollywood

Post Thanks / Like

If you think it's choreopgraphy theft (which is copying without credit), then leave a polite comment pointing it out on YouTube -- but be sure you're ready to cite the particulars of where the act is being copied (like another YouTube video) so viewers can check that out for themselves.

Enough comments like that and maybe the dancer will be more careful not pretend something as her own invention.

Sometimes it's hard NOT to look like you're copying someone else. Dancers have always "borrowed" from other dancers or we wouldn't have a body of knowledge to draw from -- it's claiming to have invented or created the act or not crediting where you got it from that's dishonest and just plain tacky.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

How about the Chinese Belly Dance Superstars?

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't see much similar with the BDSS and Nari Narien (but I'm no choreo expert and am easily distracted with the cutting on the video ). Only a bit at 3:50 ish where BDSS do a similar hands behind the back move sideways on to the audience to what's in the video, only not with all that Bollywood energy. Hisham and co kick their butts IMO.

But I have found out how to run two YouTube clips side by side to watch for similarities, he he he...

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I couldn't see much similar with the BDSS and Nari Narien (but I'm no choreo expert and am easily distracted with the cutting on the video ). Only a bit at 3:50 ish where BDSS do a similar hands behind the back move sideways on to the audience to what's in the video, only not with all that Bollywood energy. Hisham and co kick their butts IMO.
    Oh, I totally agree! I saw the BDSS perform their choreography twice and both times, only Jillina had any expression or any oomph in her dancing, the others were like expressionless robots and I was seriously bored. The Hisham Abbas video is delightful!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast