Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Roshanna, I love your post.

Well, heck, how could anyone NOT love Soheir Zaki? Although I admit that one of my favorite clips of her was her dancing in some kind of mad scientist movie. Totally fun.

Speaking of dancers who aren't to everyone's taste, Esmerelda, if you're drawn to the kind of precision that Sadie has, you might also enjoy Didem and Asena, although they are Turks, so different fundamental style than the Egyptian dancers (they are definitely not classic Turkish style, though -- but that is another discussion.)/turcophile

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiziri View Post
    Well, heck, how could anyone NOT love Soheir Zaki? Although I admit that one of my favorite clips of her was her dancing in some kind of mad scientist movie. Totally fun.
    Ooh, I wanted to post that clip on the 'odd videos' thread as it's both weird and lovely, but I couldn't find it on Youtube and for some reason hadn't bookmarked it! Please do post it if you can find it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roshanna View Post
    Ooh, I wanted to post that clip on the 'odd videos' thread as it's both weird and lovely, but I couldn't find it on Youtube and for some reason hadn't bookmarked it! Please do post it if you can find it!
    I was just looking for it without any luck myself. Drat! It *is* weird and lovely and a hoot (good example of a dancer doing comedy, since she pulls it off so well).

ETA: Aha! Found it! (no, wait, right movie, wrong clip)...Here is one that isn't the entire scene with Suheir:
    http://youtu.be/Q8PJ2G3cDpg
    Last edited by Tiziri; 01-21-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Inserting clip

Junior Member EsmereldaDancer1987's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes glad we cant put all this behind us and start afresh

Has anyone seen this video of "Little Egypt" im not sure if this actually was Little Egypt as ive heard some people say she was a myth so not quite sure about that one. The music on this video scares me lol

Little Egypt - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiziri View Post
    Roshanna, I love your post.

Speaking of dancers who aren't to everyone's taste, Esmerelda, if you're drawn to the kind of precision that Sadie has, you might also enjoy Didem and Asena, although they are Turks, so different fundamental style than the Egyptian dancers (they are definitely not classic Turkish style, though -- but that is another discussion.)/turcophile
    Yes Didem was one of the first belly dancers i saw on youtube, Asena is good also. I was disappointed when Didem had plastic surgery done though :/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EsmereldaDancer1987 View Post
    Yes glad we cant put all this behind us and start afresh

Has anyone seen this video of "Little Egypt" im not sure if this actually was Little Egypt as ive heard some people say she was a myth so not quite sure about that one.

Little Egypt - YouTube
    I have clips of both the dancer in the harem pants and the one in the dress in my collection.

I don't think the one in the harem pants (the first dancer shown) is actually from the Middle East. I think she's a generic American from the burlesque circuit doing a "hoochie koochie" shtick satirizing belly dance. Her technique doesn't look AT ALL like anything I've ever seen in the Middle East, not even in the edgiest of the shaabi clubs. Her harem pants costume is also not something you would have seen dancers from the Middle East wearing during that time.

Now, the one in the dress DOES look like a "real" dancer from the Middle East. Her name is Fatima, and with a bit of googling you should be able to find the full-length clip by Thomas Edison. I have put segments of that clip side-by-side with segments of Naima Akef and Soheir Zaki to show how some aspects of Fatima's technique were still part of the movement vocabulary done by later dancers many decades later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    I have clips of both the dancer in the harem pants and the one in the dress in my collection.

I don't think the one in the harem pants (the first dancer shown) is actually from the Middle East. I think she's a generic American from the burlesque circuit doing a "hoochie koochie" shtick satirizing belly dance. Her technique doesn't look AT ALL like anything I've ever seen in the Middle East, not even in the edgiest of the shaabi clubs. Her harem pants costume is also not something you would have seen dancers from the Middle East wearing during that time.

Now, the one in the dress DOES look like a "real" dancer from the Middle East. Her name is Fatima, and with a bit of googling you should be able to find the full-length clip by Thomas Edison. I have put segments of that clip side-by-side with segments of Naima Akef and Soheir Zaki to show how some aspects of Fatima's technique were still part of the movement vocabulary done by later dancers many decades later.
    Yeah the one in the harem pants looked similar to African dancing i thought. I shall have a look for that clip. I also found a video of a dancer called Princess Raja, she balances a chair in her mouth lol

Princess Raja - 1904 - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    I was thinking that, so it's nice to see it confirmed by an expert

I love the clip of "Ella Lola" here: http://youtu.be/ziOAYNqRjIY some of the comments discussing her origin are interesting. I love her spins. Shira, do you have more information?

I also wish I could find a longer video of the Naili dancer here: http://youtu.be/Fkbbpi7EI3w
    Ed: Fatima! http://youtu.be/zxZoXJBILbc
    (This is TOTALLY derailing, sorry.)
    Last edited by Tiziri; 01-21-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Adding links and then cleaning them up

Post Thanks / Like

Derailing encouraged, go right ahead. I'm thrilled to see the thread take a positive turn.
    Wild and free my effing arse! Use another word!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EsmereldaDancer1987 View Post
    Yes Didem was one of the first belly dancers i saw on youtube, Asena is good also. I was disappointed when Didem had plastic surgery done though :/
    I think her enhancements look a bit big for her delicate frame, but if she likes them, good on her (although there's also surely pressure to "improve" one's looks, so who knows. I do know that Tanyeli, another Turkish dancer, has said before that she regrets having gotten her nose done. I think it looks fine, but it's her nose, after all.)

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    Derailing encouraged, go right ahead. I'm thrilled to see the thread take a positive turn.
    Yes, after I looked at it, I thought, "Wait, no; this is better."