Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You never know what might be relevent. If you like the way she dances, are interested in the subject she's offering, can follow instructions without arguing about them, and the price is right, then go. Take whatever new ideas and skills you can from her class, forget the rest, and go onto the next teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munniko View Post
    I know one of them from the circuit around her and people are pretty much in unison on she can be a little bit rigid on "my way or the high way" on how you do your moves. It definitely doesn't fit my style of learning, would it be worth it to go to this workshop still?
    If you don't do things the way the instructor is showong you what is the point? Trying things out in different ways (providing it is physically safe) is the whole reason you go to workshops.

Many years ago someone brought a teacher down who used a default shimmy that went forward and back rather than what we all did - which was up and down. The whole point was to add a new type of movement to our vocab - but most people insisted on doing the whole weekend with an up/down shimmy thus losing the main learning experience.

So, yes, go - and try and do it the instructor's way. If she corrects you you are luckier than me as most of the workshops I have attended might have 2 or 3 corrections per day - for the whole class. I'd love to have a teacher spot something wrong with my technique and tell me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    So, yes, go - and try and do it the instructor's way. If she corrects you you are luckier than me as most of the workshops I have attended might have 2 or 3 corrections per day - for the whole class. I'd love to have a teacher spot something wrong with my technique and tell me.
    A little off topic, but Ava Fleming is awesome for this. I went to 4 of her workshops back to back a few years ago & went up to her after the final workshop to thank her. The look on her face as I approached her said she thought I was going to tell her off for it (I think I got about 90% of the corrections), but I could have hugged her I appreciated the feedback so much!

And back to topic - make your decision thusly: If you want to learn something new and maybe find a different approach to your bellydance, then by all means go to the workshop. If not, then don't. There's no law requiring you to attend every workshop opportunity that comes up.

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna just piggy back on this thread, my studio just sent out an e-mail saying that they are going to be hosting a workshop during the summer and it will be a day and a half workshop closing with a gala. They've listed the instructors (there are going to be four) and I know one of them from the circuit around her and people are pretty much in unison on she can be a little bit rigid on "my way or the high way" on how you do your moves. It definitely doesn't fit my style of learning, would it be worth it to go to this workshop still? I'm only asking because I can't find any videos on any of the instructors.
    How can we tell you whether or not it will be worth it for you to attend the workshops? Find out what you can about the teachers and determine whether or not what they have to teach is something you would like or need to learn

It's perfectly acceptable for workshop teachers to be rigid on how you do your moves. Some teachers will give you a choreography and tell you to put your own twist into it, but others want to teach you their own technique. If they want to teach technique, what's the point of teaching it only to watch students not even attempt it and just continue to do it their own way?

Personally, nowadays, I only take workshops from people whose technique I'd like to emulate. If someone is teaching in my area and I don't particularly care for his or her technique, I don't take their workshop. If I do care for their technique and do take the workshop, I expect to be corrected when I'm not doing it "their" way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaSTL View Post
    There was only one seminar that was so completely awful that I didn't go back after lunch.
    DYING to know what this one was -- will you tell me this weekend at JtE2?

Post Thanks / Like

Let me explain better of her way or the high way a little bit better, she doesn't really try to explain things different ways she gives you one way of thinking of it with one explanation on how it works and will not try any other explanations and if you can't get it ....not her problem.

I think with what everyone else is saying I will probably go if I have the time when it comes around just to see new things.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me explain better of her way or the high way a little bit better, she doesn't really try to explain things different ways she gives you one way of thinking of it with one explanation on how it works and will not try any other explanations and if you can't get it ....not her problem.
    Suhaila is like that. There is one explanation, period. Drives me nuts because that's not how I learn -- but it makes certifying her "brand" easier for her. (Sometimes you gotta see it from the instructor's point of view.)

If the workshop is going to be focused on her style of technique, and you already know you don't understand or respond well to how she teaches technique, then it seems like this workshop might just be an exercise in frustration for you.

If she's teaching choreo or combos or something, and you think you can use the CONTENT of the workshop, even without understanding the technique, then it might be worth the investment.

Post Thanks / Like

Find out if it's an advanced workshop. Many of them cater to all levels, and if that's the case, you should go. But if it's advanced, I would wait until you feel more comfortable, as you may not be able to keep up and then you may feel that you aren't getting much out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    DYING to know what this one was -- will you tell me this weekend at JtE2?
    But of course, darling!

If there are four instructors over 1 1/2 days I would chance it. Is it a pay per class sort of thing where can you just sit her class out? If she's teaching a choreography the one-way instructional style won't be too much of a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

DancingArabian I think you should ask the instructor. She might say the class is difficult. If so you can go with realistic expectations, not to learn *everything*, but hopefully a move or two, or a new technique, or even just new ideas. Or the instructor may be able to accommodate students of all levels, and will be happy to know you'll be there.

Munniko I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "my way or highway" in this setting? If the instructor is offering a certification for the class, then I can understand why she might be this way. But if it's just a workshop, the teacher can not "flunk" or toss a student out (unless the student is disruptive). She might pay more attention to students who are not "getting it", but when I am teaching I assume students want to learn the way I'm doing it, so I'll try to help the ones who don't seem to be catching on.

As for the other dancers, have you looked for them on Youtube or FB and still found nothing? I have to ask, are these instructors local teachers or dancers?

I have found that if I am going to a workshop with an instructor for the first time, it helps to keep an open mind. What the teacher teaches may or may not be for me, either way I learn something.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast