Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nitewindz View Post
    Munniko I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "my way or highway" in this setting? If the instructor is offering a certification for the class, then I can understand why she might be this way. But if it's just a workshop, the teacher can not "flunk" or toss a student out (unless the student is disruptive). She might pay more attention to students who are not "getting it", but when I am teaching I assume students want to learn the way I'm doing it, so I'll try to help the ones who don't seem to be catching on.

As for the other dancers, have you looked for them on Youtube or FB and still found nothing? I have to ask, are these instructors local teachers or dancers?

I have found that if I am going to a workshop with an instructor for the first time, it helps to keep an open mind. What the teacher teaches may or may not be for me, either way I learn something.
    This is just a workshop that you cannot flunk anyone in. She just seems like a rather angry women to be blunt. She came to the hafla to watch some of her students perform and didn't smile or clap for a single one of them the only reason she appears to be allowed to stay at the studio I go to is because she was the original teacher for the owner before she went on to greener pastures. So she wants to keep the working relationship because she is one of the more experienced teachers in this area.

I'm still waiting for the official website to be updated because when I looked at last years they gave links and all the information for the teachers on the website itself. I can find work inspired or choreographed by the instructors, but nothing from the instructors themselves.

I got a lot of time to decide because it isn't till this summer so I will wait although I think I will go anyway if they offer the student discount like they did last year (50% off the workshop if you are in school) for the exposure and to see if this teacher is really as bad as everyone says she is (not as a dancer, but as a friendly environment for learning) I can't really take classes with her at the moment because she only teaches the advanced students and I don't think I qualify because I finally got a shimmy down last Tuesday

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is curious, I did end up signing up for the workshop. It's next weekend 23-24. I only signed up for 2 classes in the workshop because one class just didn't interest me and I couldn't attend the other because I bowl on Sunday nights.

Here's the site if anyone's curious: Workshop - Katalin Schafer-Washington, DC February 23-24, 2013

I signed up for 1 and 3, wasn't interested in 2 and couldn't attend 4. I will not be attending the hafla since it's many hours after the class I'm in, I wouldn't have a way to keep a dish at a safe temperature for that long and I don't have anything performance ready at the moment.

So now the question is.... what do I wear?!

Post Thanks / Like

For workshops I wear the same as I wear to class - yoga pants, a form-fitting top over a sports bra, and a silent hipscarf that stays put. Maybe I wear the less faded versions for a workshop so as to be more presentable.

For me, the important thing is to be comfortable, and to wear something that shows my movements, just in case there's any feedback happening.

Also if I don't know what the floor is going to be like I take ballet slippers.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear something similar to Aniseteph and if I'm dancing for the whole day I'll take a change of clothes too.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely try the workshop.I took one this weekend from Moria of the Belly Dance Super Stars crew. She is an expert on tribal fusion and that was what the class was on.... all totally new technique for me....also I knew I was in deep when she asked who in the class didn't take yoga and only myself and another lady raised our hands.

Once we got past the yoga style warmup (which everyone else breezed through and I thought I might die from) I learned a lot of new ways of doing things and had a great introduction to this style....

It was a very enjoyable afternoon... one I'd of missed if I hadn't gone...

Post Thanks / Like

I've attended a workshop where I had a very different experience to Jim. I didn't know who the instructor was, but the topic was one I wanted to learn more about. I'd also booked a second workshop with the same instructor on a different topic.

The workshop was absolutely terrible. There was very little technique covered, actually it was mostly the instructor enjoying the sound of her own voice. The icing on the cake was the cooldown. There was none. Instead we had to stand in a circle & give each other a shoulder massage. Since the workshop was on arabesques, this was completely useless. Also, it aggravated an existing back condition that I'd til then been babying through the weekend.

I spoke to the organiser & swapped out my second workshop for a workshop with a different instructor on a topic I wasn't at all interested in (burlesque if you're wondering) but ended up enjoying thoroughly.

But I did get something out of the workshop. I learned that 1) I am a better teacher than I though I was, 2) Cooldowns are IMPORTANT and no, social bonding massages will NOT substitute and 3) If a teacher isn't doing it for you, it's okay to walk away (be polite about it, but don't stick around & make their job harder if you aren't getting anything out of it)
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    For workshops I wear the same as I wear to class - yoga pants, a form-fitting top over a sports bra, and a silent hipscarf that stays put. Maybe I wear the less faded versions for a workshop so as to be more presentable.

For me, the important thing is to be comfortable, and to wear something that shows my movements, just in case there's any feedback happening.

Also if I don't know what the floor is going to be like I take ballet slippers.
    Everything here. Be sure to take dance shoes of some sort! Workshops are rarely on a nice sprung dance floor, so having something to protect your feet will make it much more enjoyable. I'm glad you're giving it a shot!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    The icing on the cake was the cooldown. There was none. Instead we had to stand in a circle & give each other a shoulder massage.
    Oooooh. I hate the "touchy-feelies". I'm fine being touched for correction by an instructor, but shoulder rubs from stranger/acquaintances? Bleah.

I'm looking at a weekend workshop with Morocco in a few months, which is exciting, but intimidating. I'm planning to start some zill practice now so that I don't make a complete ass of myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, for those who are curious...

The workshop is now over. I attended both the clinics I had signed up for, had a lovely time and hopefully made a new friend in the clinician. She was genuinely one of the nicest people I have ever met.

She was gracious and ran through everything she taught at the end so that we could video her. She answered all of my questions and was willing to give me pointers specific to me. She gave me feedback and showed me lots of exercises to improve the things specific to me that need work. I loved that she took the time to talk to me personally and answer my questions.

She said that I dance much better when I just have a general notion of what to do and semi-improv along the way. I tend to worry about getting choreography just right which takes away from my performance. Instead, I tried to follow her lead a bit when it came to style. While she did teach a choreography, she also showed us how even a choreography can have variances in it. She also said that I seemed to really feel the music and express it well (I don't know a word of Arabic but once she explained to me what the song was about, I just kind of went with the tones of the song as I went).

All in all, money well spent!

Post Thanks / Like

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast