Workshop attendance

DancingArabian

How much training do you think a student should have before attending a workshop?

I just got word of a neat sounding workshop next month. It's Egyptian and I've been going in a more Turkish direction style wise but I think it would be fun.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

GO!!!!!

Well, depending upon the workshop itself, you may fit in well or be totally over your head, BUT -- there is what we call the $40 (or I guess it's probably up to $80) moment, where you learn or discover something so valuable to you that it's worth that $40 alone.

If it's a workshop with a native Egyptian, they often just do the "follow the bouncing butt" method of instruction, which can be really difficult for people not used to that method. Or they can break everything down. It really depends.

But workshops are social events as much as educational ones. You can shop, make connections, and watch the evening show (if there is one) to get exposure to local dancers and different styles.

I took my first workshop after about 6-8 months of classes and I was totally over my head, but I brought home some new moves, new combos, new music, new friendships, and way too many hip scarves :)

Dunyah

Can you find out what level the workshop is intended for? If it's geared toward intermediates and you are an advanced beginner, for example, it might still be worth your while to attend. If it is a master class aimed at advanced and professional dancers, you might still learn something great but feel totally overwhelmed.

I usually feel that if I take one or two good nuggets home from a workshop, it was worthwhile.

I personally hate choreography workshops, there's no way I can learn a choreo in a couple of hours, so I avoid those. To me a great workshop has some technique, some combinations, maybe a new step or two, with new-to-me musical or cultural information thrown in and the chance to see a wonderful dancer up close and personal.

Sophia Maria

Yep. Always worth it. Unless in the workshop description it says something like "intermediate to advanced" or "not beginner level"...you can always learn a lot even if you can't follow the bouncing butt :)

teela

I went to my first workshop about 6 months after I started dancing and enjoyed it tremendously. I managed to keep up and came back with a few steps. I"ve found even the choreography workshops are educational for me as sometimes I learn new ways to combine steps, dance to the music or just enjoy the company of others.

AndreaSTL

What they said. :D

I figure if I learn one thing then it was worth it. There was only one seminar that was so completely awful that I didn't go back after lunch. Unless it's marketed as master class or advanced only I'm sure you'll have an overall positive and fun experience.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
It all depends on what level the workshop is teaching at. Some workshops have notice that they are for a certain level of dance experience but if they don't they are probably designed for all levels.

I'm taking professional level workshops now but I would have no clue if I took them as a student. Go but if you are concerned about it shoot off an email to the person hosting it or the teacher of the workshop. They would be able to tell you.

I've been to some workshops where it was for higher level/more experienced dancers and there were beginner dancers there. However to be honest, they didn't have a good time. They were left behind in a lot of stuff, didn't know how to do some moves and needed to be taught, and then the teacher changed the workshop half way though so that they could be more included; which meant that the higher skill set most of us were looking for didn't get taught.

Yame

It depends on the workshop. You should find out from the person sponsoring/hosting it, or the person teaching it.

Munniko

Gonna just piggy back on this thread, my studio just sent out an e-mail saying that they are going to be hosting a workshop during the summer and it will be a day and a half workshop closing with a gala. They've listed the instructors (there are going to be four) and I know one of them from the circuit around her and people are pretty much in unison on she can be a little bit rigid on "my way or the high way" on how you do your moves. It definitely doesn't fit my style of learning, would it be worth it to go to this workshop still? I'm only asking because I can't find any videos on any of the instructors.

Shanazel

You never know what might be relevent. If you like the way she dances, are interested in the subject she's offering, can follow instructions without arguing about them, and the price is right, then go. Take whatever new ideas and skills you can from her class, forget the rest, and go onto the next teacher. :cool:

Kashmir

I know one of them from the circuit around her and people are pretty much in unison on she can be a little bit rigid on "my way or the high way" on how you do your moves. It definitely doesn't fit my style of learning, would it be worth it to go to this workshop still?
If you don't do things the way the instructor is showong you what is the point? Trying things out in different ways (providing it is physically safe) is the whole reason you go to workshops.

Many years ago someone brought a teacher down who used a default shimmy that went forward and back rather than what we all did - which was up and down. The whole point was to add a new type of movement to our vocab - but most people insisted on doing the whole weekend with an up/down shimmy thus losing the main learning experience.

So, yes, go - and try and do it the instructor's way. If she corrects you you are luckier than me as most of the workshops I have attended might have 2 or 3 corrections per day - for the whole class. I'd love to have a teacher spot something wrong with my technique and tell me.

Darshiva

So, yes, go - and try and do it the instructor's way. If she corrects you you are luckier than me as most of the workshops I have attended might have 2 or 3 corrections per day - for the whole class. I'd love to have a teacher spot something wrong with my technique and tell me.

A little off topic, but Ava Fleming is awesome for this. I went to 4 of her workshops back to back a few years ago & went up to her after the final workshop to thank her. The look on her face as I approached her said she thought I was going to tell her off for it (I think I got about 90% of the corrections), but I could have hugged her I appreciated the feedback so much!

And back to topic - make your decision thusly: If you want to learn something new and maybe find a different approach to your bellydance, then by all means go to the workshop. If not, then don't. There's no law requiring you to attend every workshop opportunity that comes up.

Yame

Gonna just piggy back on this thread, my studio just sent out an e-mail saying that they are going to be hosting a workshop during the summer and it will be a day and a half workshop closing with a gala. They've listed the instructors (there are going to be four) and I know one of them from the circuit around her and people are pretty much in unison on she can be a little bit rigid on "my way or the high way" on how you do your moves. It definitely doesn't fit my style of learning, would it be worth it to go to this workshop still? I'm only asking because I can't find any videos on any of the instructors.

How can we tell you whether or not it will be worth it for you to attend the workshops? Find out what you can about the teachers and determine whether or not what they have to teach is something you would like or need to learn :)

It's perfectly acceptable for workshop teachers to be rigid on how you do your moves. Some teachers will give you a choreography and tell you to put your own twist into it, but others want to teach you their own technique. If they want to teach technique, what's the point of teaching it only to watch students not even attempt it and just continue to do it their own way?

Personally, nowadays, I only take workshops from people whose technique I'd like to emulate. If someone is teaching in my area and I don't particularly care for his or her technique, I don't take their workshop. If I do care for their technique and do take the workshop, I expect to be corrected when I'm not doing it "their" way.

Munniko

Let me explain better of her way or the high way a little bit better, she doesn't really try to explain things different ways she gives you one way of thinking of it with one explanation on how it works and will not try any other explanations and if you can't get it ....not her problem.

I think with what everyone else is saying I will probably go if I have the time when it comes around just to see new things.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Let me explain better of her way or the high way a little bit better, she doesn't really try to explain things different ways she gives you one way of thinking of it with one explanation on how it works and will not try any other explanations and if you can't get it ....not her problem.

Suhaila is like that. There is one explanation, period. Drives me nuts because that's not how I learn -- but it makes certifying her "brand" easier for her. (Sometimes you gotta see it from the instructor's point of view.)

If the workshop is going to be focused on her style of technique, and you already know you don't understand or respond well to how she teaches technique, then it seems like this workshop might just be an exercise in frustration for you.

If she's teaching choreo or combos or something, and you think you can use the CONTENT of the workshop, even without understanding the technique, then it might be worth the investment.

Greek Bonfire

Find out if it's an advanced workshop. Many of them cater to all levels, and if that's the case, you should go. But if it's advanced, I would wait until you feel more comfortable, as you may not be able to keep up and then you may feel that you aren't getting much out of it.

AndreaSTL

DYING to know what this one was -- will you tell me this weekend at JtE2? ;)
But of course, darling! ;)

If there are four instructors over 1 1/2 days I would chance it. Is it a pay per class sort of thing where can you just sit her class out? If she's teaching a choreography the one-way instructional style won't be too much of a problem.

nitewindz

DancingArabian I think you should ask the instructor. She might say the class is difficult. If so you can go with realistic expectations, not to learn *everything*, but hopefully a move or two, or a new technique, or even just new ideas. Or the instructor may be able to accommodate students of all levels, and will be happy to know you'll be there.

Munniko I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "my way or highway" in this setting? If the instructor is offering a certification for the class, then I can understand why she might be this way. But if it's just a workshop, the teacher can not "flunk" or toss a student out (unless the student is disruptive). She might pay more attention to students who are not "getting it", but when I am teaching I assume students want to learn the way I'm doing it, so I'll try to help the ones who don't seem to be catching on.

As for the other dancers, have you looked for them on Youtube or FB and still found nothing? I have to ask, are these instructors local teachers or dancers?

I have found that if I am going to a workshop with an instructor for the first time, it helps to keep an open mind. What the teacher teaches may or may not be for me, either way I learn something.