Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Saroyan Zills

Post Thanks / Like

Sad

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! I was wanting a set of Afghanis! *cries*

This is FAR worse than the Hostess Twinkie crisis!!!
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 01-25-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So... I've been thinking about investing in a new set of Saroyans for a while (I already have a set of brass Grecian ones, which are quite nice, they have a quite shallow dome and wide flat rim). The main UK stockist has arabesques in brass or german silver, or 'arabesque 11' in german silver which are a bit bigger with a calligraphy design and cost almost twice as much. I'm prevaricating over which to order before they become a rare commodity... Any recommendations? Do the silver ones sound different? Are the bigger arabesques better? I'm OK with fairly huge zills, I have big hands

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roshanna View Post
    So... I've been thinking about investing in a new set of Saroyans for a while (I already have a set of brass Grecian ones, which are quite nice, they have a quite shallow dome and wide flat rim). The main UK stockist has arabesques in brass or german silver, or 'arabesque 11' in german silver which are a bit bigger with a calligraphy design and cost almost twice as much. I'm prevaricating over which to order before they become a rare commodity... Any recommendations? Do the silver ones sound different? Are the bigger arabesques better? I'm OK with fairly huge zills, I have big hands
    There is a difference in sound between brass and silver. Which is better is a matter of personal preference. There are sound files on the Sayoran site if your UK retailer doesn't host any. I would compare those and then order zils from your local retailer ASAP because they are disappearing quicker than Twinkies.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sirene I've had a listen, and ordered a pair of silver Arabesque II's - they sound lovely! If I had more money I'd have ordered some other sets too. Most zills for sale here are not particularly nice apart from the one seller I know of that stocks Saroyans, so I suspect it may become a bit difficult to get high quality zills in the UK in future...

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha Roshanna, I think you bought the very ones I was looking to buy! They are gone from the website now grrr

Edit: I think I was mistaken, I was going to get the brass ones but they are gone now
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    Hahaha Roshanna, I think you bought the very ones I was looking to buy! They are gone from the website now grrr

Edit: I think I was mistaken, I was going to get the brass ones but they are gone now
    I got mine from Aladdin's Cave in the UK. When I last looked, they had arabesques in silver & brass, arabesque II's in silver, turkish in brass, and minizills in brass.
    Aladdins Cave Saroyan Finger Cymbals

Post Thanks / Like

Check Dahlal International~ they have a small selection of Saroyan zills left.

Also consider sending a heart felt (kind) thank-you note to Mr. Saroyan for years of excellent service to our community. Not knowing where else to send it, I sent mine to his website. Will call a friend to see if she has a personal e-mail for him. BRB.

After calling a friend (who assured me) it is alright to post on a public forum Mr. Saroyan's e-mail is "ZILSUSA@AOL.COM". Cheers and happiness to his retirement.
    Last edited by Suzanne Azhaar; 01-25-2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: adding e-mail address

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roshanna View Post
    I got mine from Aladdin's Cave in the UK. When I last looked, they had arabesques in silver & brass, arabesque II's in silver, turkish in brass, and minizills in brass.
    Aladdins Cave Saroyan Finger Cymbals
    Yep, that's where I was looking as well. Yesterday I was thinking o0f getting the brass Arabesque II but they disappeared. Might get the silver Arabesques though.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Azhaar View Post
    Also consider sending a heart felt (kind) thank-you note to Mr. Saroyan for years of excellent service to our community. Not knowing where else to send it, I sent mine to his website. Will call a friend to see if she has a personal e-mail for him. BRB.

After calling a friend (who assured me) it is alright to post on a public forum Mr. Saroyan's e-mail is "ZILSUSA@AOL.COM". Cheers and happiness to his retirement.
    You know that's a GREAT idea. I just did that. He really does deserve thanks. It's because of his cymbals that I actually enjoy playing them! (Had a cheapie import pair and hated them!)

Post Thanks / Like

I did it! I just ordered a set of silver arabesques II. I got a tax refund which I think is partly faulty so I'm taking advantage of the temporary extra money before I call on monday to ask if they did a mistake
    immer glimmer

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast