Saroyan Zills

gisela

Super Moderator
My first zills were very large. I didn't know anything about zills so I bought them without knowing there were smaller ones. I managed to play them alright but I am not good by any measure. I do have quite large hands so perhaps that helped.

"Great Zill crisis of 2013"

Funny name but tragic situation :lol::(

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
there's a new message on the saroyan website:

Dear Customer, Friends and Colleagues:
Our Online Store Will be Open temporarily on
Thursday Jan. 31 up until Midnight Feb. 1 on Friday.
Five items per person maximum please.
Go get them! ;)

Sirène

there's a new message on the saroyan website:

Go get them! ;)

Raise your hand if you believe the server will overload before 10am Thursday. :lol: Bless his heart that he's willing to do this, but I think he might be underestimating the response.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

So this is a random question especially in light of the "Great Zill crisis of 2013" but the pair I have seem to be a little big for my hands, can you learn to play large zills? I got another pair which are a better size for me.

Suhaila always told us to play the largest and heaviest cymbals we could stand. lol. She said you would build up strength.

I have never had a problem with cymbals being too big (I play the Afghanis, which are huge and the Turquoise Suhaila signature ones which are just as big) but I can see if you have shorter fingers, you might not have enough depth for them to feel comfortable.

Here's a fun trick -- measure the diameter of the size cymbal you're contemplating, and then cut out 2 cardboard disks the same size. If you know the depth of the bell, try making the disk a little bigger and bending them to imitate the bell depth. Then staple a rubber band to them and put them on. See if you have enough space in your hands for them to fit.

The WEIGHT of the cymbals -- unless you have serious wrist issues or carpal tunnel -- won't be a factor after you get used to playing them. I have the Saroyan Pro 2 which are the heaviest cymbals he makes, and after practicing with them, all my other cymbals feel feather light!

Farasha Hanem

Too bad a little more notice wasn't given - or was this not possible on Harry's part?

Yeah, really. :( Before all this happened, I was going to order a set of Afghanis this summer after my workplace stops eviscerating my hours. I'm too poor to even get my prescription meds, or even go to bellydance class, let alone have any extra money for anything else. :(

Munniko

I want to get a pair for my son -- for when he's old enough.

Do you guys think the MiniZills or the Tinkerzills? I don't know which to get.

I have the Tinkerzills and they are nice and light, but the noise is really really high pitched compared to normal Zills. They are a nice size for small hands like advertised and the price is definitely right:dance:

Kartane

Yeah, really. :( Before all this happened, I was going to order a set of Afghanis this summer after my workplace stops eviscerating my hours. I'm too poor to even get my prescription meds, or even go to bellydance class, let alone have any extra money for anything else. :(

PM me! I tried to send you a note but you are full up!

Ariadne

Well I just ordered my pair. I've already received an e-mail confirmation but until I have them in hand I'm going to worry about something going wrong. I didn't need to eat this week anyway right? ;)

My zills came today. After watching the set I wanted disappear from other stores I tracked down a store that still had a pair, took a deep breath, and ordered. I've sort of been holding that breath until they arrived today since I had never ordered from this company before. They were nothing but a pleasure to deal with and still have a few Saroyans if anyone misses out on buying direct or from another store you prefer.

Saroyan Zils (Finger Cymbals) - Dancing Props

Sirène

Mr. Saroyan's store is open for today only until Midnight tonight. I ordered some dervish and afgani.

And it's closed again:

Due to overwhelming incoming orders and low inventory levels, we are temporarily shutting down the online store. We are very sorry. Please check back on or after Feb 10th, and we should be up and running again.

gisela

Super Moderator
:lol: that's what we all guessed wasn't it?! Bellydancers can be pretty intense in a mass-attack :lol:

Last edited:

ezmasiddiqah

I ordered brass and silver afghanis. Need to play them to see how I like them, but I'd be happy to sell you a pair if one pair needs to get sold.:D

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Well damn. I'm in the market for a pair of afghanis...

If you don't find them elsewhere Desert Veils has them Zills: Saroyan and Egyptian Zils, Sagets, Cymbals

also here
Afghani Cymbals ~ Saroyan Finger Cymbals for Advanced & Professional Dancers - Artemis Imports I did ask her the cost of shipping to Australia because the cart is for US shipment and I think she said $12.95 ( I accidentally deleted the email). Just email her and she'll send an invoice via PP. I bought the Moorish ones from Desert Veils as they ended up being a couple of dollars cheaper.
~Mosaic