Saroyan Zills

Darshiva

There are rumours going around that Saroyan is closing down permanently.

On the website it says to check back, though.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Jane

There are rumours going around that Saroyan is closing down permanently.

On the website it says to check back, though.

Does anyone know what's going on?

I hear he's retiring and closing up shop. He's a nice man, always liked his products and enjoyed chatting. Now he can relax! :cool:

gisela

Super Moderator
Oh man, I hope they have a huge warehouse full of zils in stock or that he has taught someone to continue the production. I want zills!

Jane

Apparently people are snapping up Saroyan cymbals fast. If you want some, now is the time to get them before the price goes sky high.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I received an email from Naj at the bellydanceshoppe this morning it say:

A Fond Goodbye and Thanks to Harry Saroyan

At 75 years old Harry Saroyan has chosen to retire. He sends his thank you and good bye to all who have been his customers over the years. We thank him for his service to the bellydance community and wish him a happy retirement. Naj
P. S. I was informed over the weekend that his retail website is now closed. Saroyan manufacturing lost several of their employees several months ago and stopped selling finger cymbals wholesale.

Due to an extreme shortage. I am doing my best to fill orders for Saroyan zils as quickly as possible. I will fill all finger cymbal orders immediately.
Thank you for understanding
Sincerely,

Naj
www.BellyDanceShoppe.com
602-714-6002

[FONT=&quot]PS Please share this information with your colleagues and teachers [/FONT]
~Mosaic

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Hell !!!!!

With Suleiman gone, are we just now left with Turquoise (and those imports)? Ali's not going to live forever either.

I'm seconding the hope that there's a warehouse somewhere. Dahlal is already almost sold out.

Kartane

Finger cymbal emergency

Saroyan Mastercrafts has closed their doors! Mr. Saroyan is retiring and there will be no more Saroyan Zills! If you can find them, BUY NOW!

Jane

Someday we will tell our descendants how we lived through the great finger cymbal crisis of 2013. Like the gas shortages in the '70s. Lines around the block and soaring prices. :lol:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I have 2 sets of Saroyan zills & I'm not the biggest zill player in the world so they'll last me - the few that are still available are much more expensive than when I bought mine a few years ago. Glad I got them when I did:D
~Mosaic

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I received an email from Naj at the bellydanceshoppe this morning it say: <SNIP>
Yea, I got the same thing. Although my Zildjians are my faves, they're not for everybody and Saroyans are great Zills too. I heard something about he's trying to sell the company.

Farasha Hanem

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! I was wanting a set of Afghanis! *cries* :(

This is FAR worse than the Hostess Twinkie crisis!!! :(

Last edited:

Roshanna

So... I've been thinking about investing in a new set of Saroyans for a while (I already have a set of brass Grecian ones, which are quite nice, they have a quite shallow dome and wide flat rim). The main UK stockist has arabesques in brass or german silver, or 'arabesque 11' in german silver which are a bit bigger with a calligraphy design and cost almost twice as much. I'm prevaricating over which to order before they become a rare commodity... Any recommendations? Do the silver ones sound different? Are the bigger arabesques better? I'm OK with fairly huge zills, I have big hands ;)

Sirène

So... I've been thinking about investing in a new set of Saroyans for a while (I already have a set of brass Grecian ones, which are quite nice, they have a quite shallow dome and wide flat rim). The main UK stockist has arabesques in brass or german silver, or 'arabesque 11' in german silver which are a bit bigger with a calligraphy design and cost almost twice as much. I'm prevaricating over which to order before they become a rare commodity... Any recommendations? Do the silver ones sound different? Are the bigger arabesques better? I'm OK with fairly huge zills, I have big hands ;)

There is a difference in sound between brass and silver. Which is better is a matter of personal preference. There are sound files on the Sayoran site if your UK retailer doesn't host any. I would compare those and then order zils from your local retailer ASAP because they are disappearing quicker than Twinkies.

Roshanna

Thanks Sirene :) I've had a listen, and ordered a pair of silver Arabesque II's - they sound lovely! If I had more money I'd have ordered some other sets too. Most zills for sale here are not particularly nice apart from the one seller I know of that stocks Saroyans, so I suspect it may become a bit difficult to get high quality zills in the UK in future...

gisela

Super Moderator
Hahaha Roshanna, I think you bought the very ones I was looking to buy! They are gone from the website now :lol: grrr

Edit: I think I was mistaken, I was going to get the brass ones but they are gone now :(

Roshanna

Hahaha Roshanna, I think you bought the very ones I was looking to buy! They are gone from the website now :lol: grrr

Edit: I think I was mistaken, I was going to get the brass ones but they are gone now :(

I got mine from Aladdin's Cave in the UK. When I last looked, they had arabesques in silver & brass, arabesque II's in silver, turkish in brass, and minizills in brass.
Aladdins Cave Saroyan Finger Cymbals

Suzanne Azhaar

Check Dahlal International~ they have a small selection of Saroyan zills left.

Also consider sending a heart felt (kind) thank-you note to Mr. Saroyan for years of excellent service to our community. Not knowing where else to send it, I sent mine to his website. Will call a friend to see if she has a personal e-mail for him. BRB.

After calling a friend (who assured me) it is alright to post on a public forum Mr. Saroyan's e-mail is "ZILSUSA@AOL.COM". Cheers and happiness to his retirement.

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Also consider sending a heart felt (kind) thank-you note to Mr. Saroyan for years of excellent service to our community. Not knowing where else to send it, I sent mine to his website. Will call a friend to see if she has a personal e-mail for him. BRB.

After calling a friend (who assured me) it is alright to post on a public forum Mr. Saroyan's e-mail is "ZILSUSA@AOL.COM". Cheers and happiness to his retirement.

You know that's a GREAT idea. I just did that. He really does deserve thanks. It's because of his cymbals that I actually enjoy playing them! (Had a cheapie import pair and hated them!)

gisela

Super Moderator
I did it! I just ordered a set of silver arabesques II. I got a tax refund which I think is partly faulty so I'm taking advantage of the temporary extra money before I call on monday to ask if they did a mistake :lol: