technique touch up

Ahava_Melantha

what are your favorite dvds for touching up on basic technique?

I would love to know. am looking for something to do at least once a week.

Darshiva

I'm a big big fan of Keti's 1001 moves, because of the way she breaks things down. Actually, I use it more often as an 'Am I teaching things the right way' reference because she explains things in 3 or 4 different ways as well as showing the moves - broken down into components - from different angles.

It is on the pricy side though, but I think it's worth the money. I paid $90 for it back when it first came out (in fact I pre-ordered it & had to wait for the production stuff to finish before I got my copy) but I still to this day think it's the best $90 I've spent on a dvd yet. (it's actually a box set of 3 dvds)

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I can't recommend Autumn Ward's "Beautiful Technique" enough, if you're interested in Egyptian style, or a style that is very grounded and earthy. I love this dvd so much -- but it's tricky to work with. You can't just put it in and go through it and expect to get great technique. You have to really practice the individual movements and sections.

If anybody's interested, I'll do a full review. Autumn has visited us periodically, so maybe she'll comment herself!

I also like Hadia's 4-disk Oriental Dance system, but it's not exactly what you're asking about.

Ahava_Melantha

okay thanx so much. I have shareen al safi's egyptian technique 1 and boy is it good. I have been looking at Hadias dvds lately. don't have one but definitely thinking about it thanx.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

If your focus is Egyptian, you cannot go wrong with Shareen. Also Autumn -- despite the fact that she tends to post a lot of more "fusiony" performances (which I simply love) her basic technique is straight-up Egyptian -- at least as how I'm learning it.

Hadia is great, her 4-dvd set is great, and her method is great. It's more "relaxed" I guess ? than Shareen's, but it feels good. Her older videos (the 6 volumes) area really showing off a different style -- volume 1-3 is more old-school Pan-Arabic, but I think it's 5 is where she starts teaching more modern "Egyptian" style that we recognize as "Egyptian."

Also check out workshop videos from Aida Nour -- she's my big inspiration right now, and her technique when she's teaching is really OBVIOUS, so you don't have to think "What the heck is she moving and how?" like you do with some Egyptians.

I also like Zahra Zuhair's "Magnificent Moves" dvd for practice. She is supposed to be teaching on PowHow pretty soon, if she's not already, so you might also check that out.

Last edited:

Roshanna

I have Outi of Cairo's 'The basics with Outi' DVD, which is nice as a reference guide to Egyptian-style technique. I've not got through the whole thing yet, as it's far too long to do in one go...