Thread: performing name

Post Thanks / Like

Default performing name

i need help finding a name to dance under if and when i get a chance to. i really like lotuses and was wondering if anyone knew the arabic word or knew where to find the word for lotus or lotus blossom? thanks for any help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the library and see if they have an Arabic-English dictionary. If they don't, most libraries can get you one on interlibrary loan.

Post Thanks / Like

Arabic Girls Names

Maybe you can find something here you like?

Post Thanks / Like

I found this translation for "lotus" on the Internet
    Turkish - English
    Nilüfer - lotus, water lily

Marisha

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, Marisha! Nilüfer sounds really beautiful

Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like

hi there...well I never met the word "lotus" in arabic yet (since it is not a usual discussion subject ) but my fantastic arabic-english dictionnary tells me it is simply "lotus" or better "al-lotus", and written like this اللوتس , however it does seem to be a tricky word in arabic because my arabic-french dictionnary lists it with a different "t" (hard to explain to non-arabic speakers but I can give u the two letters, note there is a difference in pronounciation: ط ت those would be the two...) then I found another word for it: عرائس النيل in the french dictionnary though my english one doesn't have this word.
    So if you ask me, I would advice to look up arabic girls names as was suggested in this thread because :
    1) as you see it is very difficult to translate and mostly transliterate some names into arabic
    2) you may never know how the word is used. To give you an example I will use the word Tamar or Tamr. It means "fruit" or "date" in both hebrew and arabic. Whilst in hebrew this name is very popular and considered very pretty and girlish, in arabic it would be just too funny being called after a fruit - in hebrew, naming one's child after flowers, fruits, plants or animals is very common and popular...not so much in arabic. so you see? you need to know the customs of naming in a particular language and to avoid being laughed at by an arabic speaking audience later on, you should pick your name with a lot of care. amongst arabic names that I particulary like (and this is just my personnal opinion) are: dalal, amal (hope), leyla(night), aliya(to ascend, ascension, something in that way) , iman (faith) and zahra (flower)...when looking up internet lists on the internet, one last advice: always double-check with an arab friend if that name does really mean what it says on the website, because there are often very big mistakes!!!
    hope I helped