For dances from Near and Middle East

befree

would seem to be a more accurate subtitle for BD forums than "focussed on...inspired by" since the vast majority of posters are dedicated to the traditional Egyptian, Turkish, and Lebanese styles. It also would let people like myself who love tribal and American Cabaret know that these styles aren't really open for discussion here, without stirring up a lot of bad feelings. I have plenty of drama in my real life, and choose not to encounter it on-line. So I'll wish you all Merry Christmas, and to all a good night.

gisela

Super Moderator
Hi Befree, The members make this forum what it is. If more tribal interested people were here then naturally, there would be more tribal discussions. American cabaret is frequently talked about. I am not sure why you think it is not "allowed". Salome herself, the owner of the forum, is an expert in American Cabaret, or American Oriental as I think she calls it. There is really not much lebanese style talk going on.

(Posted in the other thread as well) I'm sorry you feel this way. I don't see much of what you pose as examples but perhaps that is because I've been on here longer and know most of the members' "style" of writing? I agree that anonymity does things to discussions but it can also skew perception and make one take offense where non was meant. I am not trying to blame it on yourself but thinking it might be a little of both. I honestly think this forum is one of the most drama free places online I have ever seen. The long-term members here are NOT actually anonymous anymore since most link to their websites, plenty are active on facebook with their real name or pro dance name and we share and link personal experiences. I sincerely hope you will give us another chance. In *the other thread* people are questioning and trying to understand things about ATS. You could offer valuable experience and knowledge if you choose to stick around.
I'll post this in the other thread as well.
Gisela

Last edited:

Shanazel

Wow, befree, I think you must have us confused with another forum. We have moments of serious disagreement but they are few and far between and usually are resolved fairly quickly. I do strictly AmCab and I've never felt anything but welcome to discuss the style.

Kashmir

Actually Middle East and North Africa :D

I've yet to see anyone have issue with AmCab (other than the name - it's easier to write than American Orientale).

You asked on another thread why "belly dance" needs to be danced to belly dance music and you got heaps of replies from very experienced dancers. If the result was you have decided "belly dance" isn't your real passion, that's sad. Continue with your own path and enjoy it - just label it correctly.

Duvet

...let people like myself who love tribal and American Cabaret know that these styles aren't really open for discussion here, without stirring up a lot of bad feelings.

I've not read much on this forum that would agree with that statement. I'm slightly bemused by it (Tribal and American Cabaret certainly are discussed) and I wonder what threads the OP found to give that impression, or what angle was not being represented?

You get out of this forum what you put in. If you want more discussion about Tribal or American Cabaret (or anything), then start posting about them and generate a discussion. Walking away only leads others, who might share your interest, to miss out on the interaction with you.