General Opinion of a New Dance

Indigo Shimmer

So I have been yearning to do a solo of my own choosing. I've flip-flopped between several things, Isis wings ( which I haven't learned yet! That's next semester. ) gypsy skirt....something. A friend mentioned that I need to find my dancing niche. So I think I'm still rattling around, looking. So far I really, REALLY like gypsy.

So I now have this idea on a dance to a song that's been haunting me since I was a child. Its absolutely NOT Middle Eastern! And the ideas for moves that have been ghosting through my head, well the only way I can describe them is a sort of gypsy skirt, gothic/steampunk fusion thang.

Am I gonna be kicked out of the club for even entertaining such a radical notion???

Indigo Shimmer

BeatriceC

You might want to be careful when using the word "gypsy" to make it clear that what you're doing is *either* actual rom gypsy, or other authentic gypsy dance from whatever specific tradition you have studied, which might be far less open to fusing with goth/steampunk, and which it might be actively disrespectful to do so, or "fantasy gypsy", where you can do your own thang and it doesn't really matter.

Farasha Hanem

I wouldn't even use the word "gypsy," since it's the Rom equivalent to the "N" word, therefore derogatory to the Rom people. "Fantasy folkloric" would be better.

Indigo Shimmer

Whoops! Okay, thanks for the education. No more "g" word!

I'm okay with using the word "fantasy" being as I hang around with the sci-fi fantasy crowd anywho.

Indigo S.

Indigo Shimmer

On further reflection of the issue, it seems that the proper terminology for this dance should be steampunk fantasy skirt dance. Which means it has nothing whatsoever to do with "belly" dance or Middle Eastern, its more just "dance". So I've totally broken with tradition and I'm off topic in all aspects for this forum. Man! I'm good at that even when I'm trying to be polite and good!

UGH! Sorry guys!

Indigo S.

Farasha Hanem

Asking the question in the first place shows your concern and respect for Middle Eastern dance, and being willing to learn and realize something you didn't know before about the "g" word also shows that you also respect the Romany culture. I think we all do and say things at least once in our lives out of a lack of knowledge, but you're willing and open to learn that knowledge when someone shares it with you. :) And no, you're not kicked out of the club! When it comes to bellydance, "resistance is futile!" :lol: :D

Amanda (was Aziyade)

On further reflection of the issue, it seems that the proper terminology for this dance should be steampunk fantasy skirt dance. Which means it has nothing whatsoever to do with "belly" dance or Middle Eastern, its more just "dance".

And that's awesome!

We tend to almost "undervalue" something unless we can ascribe "specifics" to it -- like "Alexandrian Egyptian Beledi" or "Contemporary post-Graham style Modern" or whatever. And that's kind of ridiculous. I think a VERY refreshing approach is just calling it DANCE. There are no expectations then, other than music (usually) and movement, and I don't have to put my mind in a specific starting place when I want to watch.

I think the real key is to only place those specific delimiters on our dance when we're trying to do what those delimiters ... well, delimit or describe.

Ariadne

Agreed Aziyade, and as someone who enjoys Steampunk I would love to see the end result Indigo Shimmer. :D

Kashmir

I'm glad you've decided this isn't belly dance. Go for it (assuming your venue doesn't expect some belly dance - in which case you might want to reconsider)

However, is this your first solo? As a general rule, I'd suggest your first solo should concentrating on dancing - especially if you are new to your prop as well. I've seen too many solos with dancers struggling with a prop and losing the dance - and often the prop work wasn't great either.

Indigo Shimmer

Well, technically speaking, there will be no actual "belly" dance as I plan to be wearing a corset, or probably a "cincher" around my midriff. No Middle Eastern music too so how can I, in all fairness, call it a Middle Eastern dance? I can't. So I won't. This will be just my own, weird concoction for those who like to watch "dance" plain and simple with what I am, so far, familiar with handling. No props other than the skirt.

My teacher has promised to help me with this. I expected her to talk me out of it and tell me my dreams were a bit too grandiose but she did nothing of the sort. She's also the seamstress extra-ordinare of the dance studio and I was over there today in her hobby room picking out fabrics for the design I had drawn up. I can design outfits, I am just sewing inept! She was translating what I could and couldn't do with my design. Then she confessed that she had always wanted to do a troupe steampunk dance but that no one else was interested.

I think I had better take Tempest's steampunk workshop at "Art of the Belly" this year!

Indigo S.

Ariadne

Well, technically speaking, there will be no actual "belly" dance as I plan to be wearing a corset, or probably a "cincher" around my midriff.

I've had this idea for a while of seeing if I can make a corset style cincher out of stretch fabric with some kind of soft boning just to help it keep it's shape to get the look without the restriction on movement. I'm wondering if cording or a 1/4 inch zip tie would work?

Just a thought.

Aniseteph

I think it might work if you find the right fabric. Anything that make folds and wrinkles or looks too thin when it flexes is going to ruin the illusion of corsetiness.

Maybe stretchy rather than rigid lacing is a possibility? Or rigid panels interspersed with elastic inserts? :think:

Ariadne

Maybe stretchy rather than rigid lacing is a possibility?

When I put lacing in some vests I made instead of using stretchy lacing I made elastic button loops to thread them through. That way I could switch out with any ribbon I wanted and as long as I kept the ribbons from twisting they looked great.

Bridal Button Loop Elastic - White 1 inch spacing
Bridal Button Loop Elastic - Black 1 inch spacing

I recently came across a tip for making your own button loops with hair bands. I may have to try it with my next project. I DON'T recommend the elastic I used to make mine.

teela

Go to the hardware store and buy those long ziplock ties. Cut the blocky end off and use. They can be used in corsets.