Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here!

Post Thanks / Like

Default New here!

Hey there. I'm Shannon. I'm 25 and live in Kentucky, USA. I've been lurking on these forums for a few weeks and have learned a lot! I really want to learn bellydance. I have been interested for years but I've always been too afraid that I'm "too fat." Over the last few years, my self confidence has grown and between my work schedule/money, I'm going to go to a few classes a month and supplement with DVDs (I realize that's frowned upon). I work nights which will make it hard to go to classes regularly.

I have no real dance experience. My other hobbies include hoopdancing, fire fans, flow wand, fire eating, knitting, sewing, learning poi, flags, and contact staff. My favorite bellydancers are Rachel Brice, Zoe Jakes, Sera Solstice, and Valentina Unity.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Daimere. Glad that you will be able to begin your lessons, it is great you can have a few lessons with an instructor & continue to learn via DVDs - Look forward to hearing about your BD journey
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I've taught myself hooping mostly from youtube/DVDs. I really am hoping at least that experience will help me in the most part. There are tribal and Egyptian/cabaret(?) classes in my area. I'm going to take a 6 week class soon. I feel like I have great DVDs for my bellydance DVD buck (Jenna, Autumn Ward, Tribal basics from FCBD, bellydance for core fitness, and more from years ago when I was buying anything tribal fusion which I'll work to one day). I also have "rented" an ATS 6 week class session from raqsTV and comparing it to my good online friend that just started an ATS class at a FCBD sister studio. I'm really excited. When I started hooping, I started dreaming about hooping and the same thing is happening this time with bellydance!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are all set to go ... right down to the dreams, have fun.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by daimere View Post
    I'm going to go to a few classes a month and supplement with DVDs (I realize that's frowned upon).
    There's nothing wrong with supplementing with DVDs. If there was I'd have been banned a long time ago for addiction.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I don't believe I've ever met a fire eater before though I am partial to hot green chili myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum! It seems you really set your mind to learning - yay!

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing wrong with supplementing with DVDs. If there was I'd have been banned a long time ago for addiction.
    Good! The great thing is I already have multiple CDs and books already from high school when the "bellydance exercise" craze was huge.
    I don't believe I've ever met a fire eater before
    It is dangerous but any fire play is! I love fire though!

Welcome to the forum! It seems you really set your mind to learning - yay!
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! It's not at all frowned upon to work with dvds It can't really take the place of a good live teacher but it is a great supplement.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Hey from across the state! I'm over in the cornfields of Indiana. Are you near Louisville, by chance?

I think fire eating is so cool -- never done it, but always wanted to learn how

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast