New here!

daimere

Hey there. I'm Shannon. I'm 25 and live in Kentucky, USA. I've been lurking on these forums for a few weeks and have learned a lot! I really want to learn bellydance. I have been interested for years but I've always been too afraid that I'm "too fat." Over the last few years, my self confidence has grown and between my work schedule/money, I'm going to go to a few classes a month and supplement with DVDs (I realize that's frowned upon). I work nights which will make it hard to go to classes regularly.

I have no real dance experience. My other hobbies include hoopdancing, fire fans, flow wand, fire eating, knitting, sewing, learning poi, flags, and contact staff. My favorite bellydancers are Rachel Brice, Zoe Jakes, Sera Solstice, and Valentina Unity.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum Daimere. Glad that you will be able to begin your lessons, it is great you can have a few lessons with an instructor & continue to learn via DVDs - Look forward to hearing about your BD journey:D
~Mosaic

daimere

Thank you! I've taught myself hooping mostly from youtube/DVDs. I really am hoping at least that experience will help me in the most part. There are tribal and Egyptian/cabaret(?) classes in my area. I'm going to take a 6 week class soon. I feel like I have great DVDs for my bellydance DVD buck (Jenna, Autumn Ward, Tribal basics from FCBD, bellydance for core fitness, and more from years ago when I was buying anything tribal fusion which I'll work to one day). I also have "rented" an ATS 6 week class session from raqsTV and comparing it to my good online friend that just started an ATS class at a FCBD sister studio. I'm really excited. When I started hooping, I started dreaming about hooping and the same thing is happening this time with bellydance!

Sirène

Welcome! :)

I'm going to go to a few classes a month and supplement with DVDs (I realize that's frowned upon).

There's nothing wrong with supplementing with DVDs. If there was I'd have been banned a long time ago for addiction. :lol:

Shanazel

Welcome! I don't believe I've ever met a fire eater before though I am partial to hot green chili myself. ;)

daimere

There's nothing wrong with supplementing with DVDs. If there was I'd have been banned a long time ago for addiction.
Good! The great thing is I already have multiple CDs and books already from high school when the "bellydance exercise" craze was huge.
I don't believe I've ever met a fire eater before
It is dangerous but any fire play is! I love fire though!

Welcome to the forum! It seems you really set your mind to learning - yay!

Thank you!

gisela

Super Moderator
Welcome! It's not at all frowned upon to work with dvds :) It can't really take the place of a good live teacher but it is a great supplement.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Hey from across the state! I'm over in the cornfields of Indiana. Are you near Louisville, by chance?

I think fire eating is so cool -- never done it, but always wanted to learn how :)

Sophia Maria

Welcome! You said you have one of Jenna's DVD's? She's great, I bought her beginner basics one when I was starting out.

daimere

Hey from across the state! I'm over in the cornfields of Indiana. Are you near Louisville, by chance?

I think fire eating is so cool -- never done it, but always wanted to learn how :)

I live near Lexington. Although if you know any good workshops in Louisville, tell me about it! I've taken fire eating classes at Flow Festival in Kentucky. Learning to fire eat has helped me be "calmer" around fire. Of course, my inner fire bug makes me excited to see what bellydancers combine fire in their performance.

daimere

Welcome! You said you have one of Jenna's DVD's? She's great, I bought her beginner basics one when I was starting out.

I do have Jenna's beginner basics. I also emailed her asking her how she would recommend someone to use it, like Autumn Ward has the online PDF to go through her DVD. Cause it seems daunting to me. She actually emailed me back! I was shocked!