Forum is changing

Farasha Hanem

oO;;; At first, I didn't register the word "night" in your post, and had an awfully disturbing mental picture of "burlesque hens"! :confused:

There isn't an ad blocker for iPhone, is there? :confused:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I'll ask the IT manager (husband) about ad blocking again. We used to have it on the big PC but fairly sure it's not doing anything to the big ads on the last posts.

OK I found a delightful new feature on the TPBDC thread (note extreme sarcasm) - those keyword things are appearing in posts as links, so e.g. if someone types something about pants a link appears just in case the very mention of the word makes you think "hey, you know that reminds me, I simply MUST go and find out what Amazon or some crappy comparison site has to say on the subject of pants... oh how convenient a link already!!!!" :confused:

Do you ever get one of those days where the internet seriously pisses you off? I've just been watching old clips on Pathe, and I have seen an ad for some tablet about 20 times (and I still don't know/ care which one - see advertisers how effective that is? If I did remember which one, they'd be bottom of my shopping list by now). And no I don't want a burlesque hen night or to date Arab girls or that "mature" lady looking uncomfortable in her suburban bedroom only 6 miles from you (wow, really???!!!), and will the last shops I ordered from please quit stalking me because I just bought stuff so I know where you are if I need you and all you are doing is being annoying. Annoying customers is a Bad Thing.

So

YES PLEASE I WILL BE HAPPY TO PAY A SMALL FEE TO HAVE A FORUM EXPERIENCE THAT IS AN OASIS OF AD-FREE PEACE AND QUIET. Because it is getting really tiresome. Sorry for the shouting. [/rant]
Aniseteph, The links that appear with words like pants etc, are the viglink links (vigilinks - can't remember the spelling), Salome is trying it out to generate a little income from ads.
~Mosaic

Aniseteph

That explains that then. I see it found Amazon in your quote of my post. Does it do it to everyone or a select few?

Call me control freaky, but I object to systems adding things to my posts that I didn't put there. Would pay to avoid. On the positive side it annoys me so much I feel better about going and doing the ironing instead.

ETA oh great, huge great flashing ad asking me if I'm single. Hello ironing.

ETA2, it just did the thing where it slows right down and gives me a message about it trying to run scripts, which usually crashes the browser. OTOH Bhuz is 10x worse for that, can't do squat over there now. Angryface.

ETA3. I see it does it to everyone. Hello ironing and cleaning the bathroom then.

Last edited:

Sirène

Aniseteph, The links that appear with words like pants etc, are the viglink links (vigilinks - can't remember the spelling), Salome is trying it out to generate a little income from ads.
~Mosaic

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :( I can tolerate all the 'Single Asian Women' and other inappropriate ads in the world, but I draw the line at viglinks. Half the time they cause the browser to crash (which seriously pisses me off :mad: since I'm a multi-tab girl and such an error takes them all down with it) and when they do work they turn the post into a minefield for those trying to follow links provided by the OP.

Amulya

The problem is that sometimes you think that a word belongs to the post, like the word 'skirt' being linked in the costume section. And being disappointed to go to some random site.

I think when it comes to visible links its good to have useful ones that people will click, no one here will click on 'single Asian woman' but we all will click on 'belly dance costumes' for example :)

Sophia Maria

Question: why do I still have that thing where I post, and the text, instead extending across the screen, gets smushed into little paragraphs to the left? It seems to happen to some people, but not others, and only happened since the forum changed.

Sirène

Question: why do I still have that thing where I post, and the text, instead extending across the screen, gets smushed into little paragraphs to the left? It seems to happen to some people, but not others, and only happened since the forum changed.

That happens to me in posts where the forums puts an ad. If you have an ad-blocker you might not see the ad but it still pushes your text over.

Salome

Administrator
It must have something to do with what browser people use because that has never happened to me. I know some people are experiencing it... I use the latest version of firefox and have not had that problem.

Sophia Maria

Hmmm. Possibly. I use google chrome, and I probably have an ad blocker on it. It's funny because it shows some people's posts as smushed, and others not. Maybe it is a hidden ad, like Sirène said?

All in all, if it's not fixable, that is no big deal to me--don't worry about it.

gisela

Super Moderator
There should only be an ad in the very last post of each thread. If that is where you see the smushed text then it's probably an invisible ad still claiming its space. If it is in other places something else must be going on.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I use the latest version of google chrome with no add ons and I don't have any of these problems. I also only see the add in the last post of the thread.

shiradotnet

I use Mozilla Firefox 19.0.2, and the only ad I see in a thread is the one in the final message. It displays properly for me.

Sophia Maria

False alarm! It is only in the last post when I look at pages here--I just went to check. I'm just being oblivious, like usual :redface:

Daimona

Hmmm. Possibly. I use google chrome, and I probably have an ad blocker on it. It's funny because it shows some people's posts as smushed, and others not. Maybe it is a hidden ad, like Sirène said?

Are you logged in when this happens?
Because if you are not logged in, the ad in the first post of each thread will smush the text of the post so that it is only visible in a narrow column due to the width of the ad (and unfortunately, the text won't wrap around the ad field). If you are logged in, this won't happen.

The ad on the last post of each page are much more narrow, and will not affect the posted text as much as the one in the first thread. The last post-ad will show whether you are logged in or not.