Neena & Veena ?

kaymarie4201

So my second mother is a self-taught belly dance and although a bigger woman she blows me away with how she can move! She says she started with Neena and Veena and gave me an old VHS to learn from. It is called the sensual art of Belly Dance? If any of you know who these twins girls are would you recommend them? :)

Daimona

If you use the search function in this forum, you'll find previous discussions about their videos.

shiradotnet

Their original videos aren't a bad way to learn a few basics about belly dance. I think they're okay as a starting point for someone who has never belly danced before, is easily intimidated, and wants to start with something really simple. I wish they wouldn't do that lean-back pose, though.

I find it very annoying that their video fails to identify the music used - they teach a choreography, but don't tell you where to get the music that goes with it.

People who learn dance quickly will outgrow them quickly, but everybody has to start somewhere, and these videos are low priced, so they're okay as a starting point.

Munniko

Well a lot of what they made if on youtube unfortunately (or fortunately depending on which party you are) so you can get a quick preview. I will say from what I've seen of them they are good and can give you a decent explanation, but they don't really go into posture so you may end up injuring yourself.

kaymarie4201

If you use the search function in this forum, you'll find previous discussions about their videos.

Thank you! :)

Hmm, okay thanks! I'll have to look into posture elsewhere then so I can work on that aswell

Last edited by a moderator:

BigJim

Neena and Veena gave me my start in bellydancing ... I was looking for something to help me get into shape and I picked up their 3 vhs set... that was 8 1/2 years ago... along the way I've lost some weight ... gotten into better shape... and found a hobby that makes each and every day more enjoyable...

I know that they are not on the cutting edge as far as technique.. skill level .. etc goes but you have to give them credit for producing an introductory lesson set that can make it an enjoyable starter for the person that wants to give it a go....

Michelle A

I find it very annoying that their video fails to identify the music used - they teach a choreography, but don't tell you where to get the music that goes with it.

One of their videos in the discover bellydance series uses Kariat el Finjan for the choreo. I think another video uses a Solace song. I don't have the dvds anymore to check for sure.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

One of my current students came to class with virtually no prior dance experience except for using N & V's dvds. She's one of my best dancers. Her technique was good, and her clarity of movement was good.

For visual learners, you certainly could find WORSE models, but it seems that Neena and Veena videos gave a lot of really good dancers their start.