Dance in the community

sstacy123

One thing I would like for my teacher to mention more of the dance goings on in the community...I just noticed on the website that I missed a performance at my own college where the troupe performed...I think some of them perform at a local restaurant but they have never mentioned it in class...But I see on their website they are attending a workshop in Nashville in May with Tarik and Morrocco...hmm, I'll have to stay on top of things...

Aisha Azar

Community

Dear Stacy,
In some cases, the instructors themselves do not know about events unless they are sent the info. In my case, I tell my students about everything that I am aware of...whether or not I am freinds with the sponsor.
This is another issue. Often teachers will not tell students about events that are sponsored by other instructors. I think they are afraid of the competition or something. I try to let my students know about everything. If they ask, I will also tell them about the presenter, if I know anything fior either good or bad. I would ahve appreciated the same kind of honesty when I was coming up. I have wasted thousands of dollars on really bad workshops!
If the instructor is a truly superb dancer/instructor, I will make sure to announce her/him as such to the class and really stress that this is an event that would be worth their while. Again, it does not matter if I completely detest the host if the presenter is great at what they do. It is about getting my students the best education they can get. I have to admit that this is not easy, but it is the right thing to do and I have a responsiblity to my students.
Regards,
A'isha

Yshka

I have to agree with A'isha on this. My teacher usually tells us about things she knows of and organises workshops to bring other teachers she thinks could be of use to us to our danceschool. She wants us to get as much as we can and meet as many different people, styles, etc. to develop our own thing and make up our minds about what we like.

more people should do this IMO, not holding back info because they dislike a teacher or anything..

Safran

Hey Stacy... it is a pity you missed the performance. But I don't understand the situation... is it that in principle, the information is available (on the website), but it just doesn't get mentioned in class by your teacher? Becaus in that case maybe the teacher didn't "hide" it intentionally but just forgot to tell you about it? Maybe you could ask her to give more information about what is happening at your community. You could also help it along by keeping an eye on websites and calendars that you know and then bring the events up during your class.

We have a nice system - we all keep an eye out for information about events across the region + Egypt (of course! :D ). If we find anything, we just forward the information to one of the teachers who puts it all up on the website. And, if someone is going to attend something, we always take it up in our conversations beforehand. This way, those who wouldn't go on their own can find compny :)

sstacy123

No, I don't think she is trying to hide anything but I just think if I was in her place I would mention it-I wish she would...things like the troupe dances at a local restuarant each week...the event at my school was some kind of international festival where the troupe performed. There was some kind of charity thing. A Gina workshop was mentioned on the site. The only thing mentioned (over email not in class) was the Aziza workshop and that may be due to the fact that class was cancelled because of it. I just feel like you can't assume everyone knows about the website and even if they do let's still discuss it in class...I'm quite shy so I'm not really one to say too much about anything...Though in some instances I may find it in me to speak up. Now I will be vigilent about checking the website and others as well.

sparklyraven

I have an email list for my students and this way I can let them know the 'happenings' around town but I have also learned not everyone checks their email so I end up announcing it anyway in class which is fine. My teaching partner and I devised this because we frequently forget to announce stuff in class or we find out in between classes and this seems to work as a catch-all for that stuff. That might be something to suggest to your teacher. So far it is working pretty well.