Went to Haflah + First Rehearsal!

AyaKara

Hi everyone! I just wanted to update you on my first (of many) experiences in the BD community. :dance:

What really moved me at the haflah was that I was actually seeing dancers dance; Youtube doesn't capture the experience. It was so beautiful & mesmerizing. During intermission, I met a dancer of 25 years! I got to see her troupe but not her solo since I had to leave (the event was 5 hours! :shok: ), but she was amazing.

There were many dancers of all ages & sizes. There was one couple where the husband played the darbuka! It was romantic. They originally met at a show. There were a LOT of BD husbands (& children) around -- I plan on making my boyfriend one :lol:

There was one woman whom was so passionate. She had a certain calmness about her; you could feel that she was very serious about her art. Her daughter was with her & you could see she admired her! She was young too, definitely <30 (I would think ;) ).

My local FBCD troupe performed too, so I got to see them again from when I met them at a workshop last year. One woman danced to Prince's "Cream" while wearing a cream outfit. She was very funny :lol:

I'm glad I went. I met a lot of dancers in my community as well as locations for classes nearby! I'm going to take my mom & sister to an Egyptian & a Tribal class soon, I'm hoping that they like it!

As for rehearsal, we're performing to Move by DJ Said Mrad. We practiced for two hours. It was inspired by Yana's "Tribal Story" with dancers opposing each other in a dance-off. It was fun! We have a guy, too. The 'subtle' team is wearing pink, while the 'explosive' team is turquoise. She told us of an opportunity at a restaurant, but it's at 10:30 PM & an hour from where I live, so I don't want to ask my parents to drive me for a 3-minute dance that they can't even watch :confused: Otherwise, it's very exciting to be able to perform :dance:

On a side note, my teacher told us that she wouldn't be teaching next semester :( she's going to have a baby & she's not sure if my school will hire another. It won't impact me because I'm finishing up with school, but I would want new dancers to have the same experience that I had with my teacher. She's so great. :pray:

All in all, it feels great to be a part of the community :pray:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
It sounds like you had a great time at the hafla & yes seeing live performance is 1000+ times better than any video:D You can feel & hear the energy snaking around you. I hope you get the opportunity to carry on with classes after your current teacher stops teaching, somewhere - somehow.
~Mosaic

AyaKara

It sounds like you had a great time at the hafla & yes seeing live performance is 1000+ times better than any video:D You can feel & hear the energy snaking around you. I hope you get the opportunity to carry on with classes after your current teacher stops teaching, somewhere - somehow.
~Mosaic

I will! I plan on starting classes at BellyQueen in August :dance: I couldn't go this winter break as I had planned because I had my wisdom teeth out :shok: but, I don't plan on stopping ever, now that I've started :pray:

I'm actually going to work in a lab out-of-state this summer & I already told my family that the first thing I'm doing when I arrive is finding the nearest teacher & get some DVDs & use all of my free time to improve :lol:

Sophia Maria

I'm actually going to work in a lab out-of-state this summer & I already told my family that the first thing I'm doing when I arrive is finding the nearest teacher & get some DVDs & use all of my free time to improve :lol:

Lol! I'm studying abroad this semester, and the first thing I did upon arriving was acquiring wi-fi in my hostel and finding local teachers. It's important!

AyaKara

Lol! I'm studying abroad this semester, and the first thing I did upon arriving was acquiring wi-fi in my hostel and finding local teachers. It's important!

Someone gets me! :lol: where are you going? Did you find any nice teachers? :pray:

Yame

That's so funny! I was at that same hafla! I know exactly who you're referring to by each of your comments. Small world...

AyaKara

That's so funny! I was at that same hafla! I know exactly who you're referring to by each of your comments. Small world...

WHY DIDN'T WE MEET YAME? OH MY GOD :shok: :doh: I'm looking at the program now & I missed your performance! I can't believe I could have met someone from here :pray: I had a long black fishtail braid, glasses, a black sweater with grey pants & black boots -- I got up for crackers & hummus a lot? I can't believe it! :lol:

Yame

WHY DIDN'T WE MEET YAME? OH MY GOD :shok: :doh: I'm looking at the program now & I missed your performance! I can't believe I could have met someone from here :pray: I had a long black fishtail braid, glasses, a black sweater with grey pants & black boots -- I got up for crackers & hummus a lot? I can't believe it! :lol:

Yup I was there! Here's my performance
Yame Performs to Akhedny Maak - YouTube

Just the other day I actually met two people from here at a hafla! It happens to me all the time, running into people I know from the internet in person.
I don't remember seeing you... but there were a lot of people there, and I was mostly focusing on the performers and the people I already know.
I hate to say it but you missed out on some of the best performances of the night! A few of the dancers on the last set were the older ladies who have been performing and teaching for a few decades, and it's amazing to watch them!

AyaKara

Yup I was there! Here's my performance
Yame Performs to Akhedny Maak - YouTube

Just the other day I actually met two people from here at a hafla! It happens to me all the time, running into people I know from the internet in person.
I don't remember seeing you... but there were a lot of people there, and I was mostly focusing on the performers and the people I already know.
I hate to say it but you missed out on some of the best performances of the night! A few of the dancers on the last set were the older ladies who have been performing and teaching for a few decades, and it's amazing to watch them!

OMG THAT'S YOU? This is probably going to be weird but I was telling my boyfriend + sister how beautiful this one girl was & how I hoped to see her perform. & that was you! Life is so strange. I knew that I missed out on some of the best (I was also looking forward to Chadia, Aurora, & Joanna since I know/ have heard about them before) but I go to school in Queens so I had to go home to go to sleep! Until we meet again :pray:

Yame

OMG THAT'S YOU? This is probably going to be weird but I was telling my boyfriend + sister how beautiful this one girl was & how I hoped to see her perform. & that was you! Life is so strange. I knew that I missed out on some of the best (I was also looking forward to Chadia, Aurora, & Joanna since I know/ have heard about them before) but I go to school in Queens so I had to go home to go to sleep! Until we meet again :pray:

Aww, thank you!
I'm sure we'll bump into each other soon. Are you planning on attending Rakkasah Spring Caravan, or any NYC workshops anytime soon? I go to NYC all the time for workshops or classes, even though I live practically 2 hours away (if I was any closer, I'd go weekly!).

Sophia Maria

AyaKara said:
where are you going? Did you find any nice teachers?

I am in France, up in the north west. I found a lovely dancer here named Luna, and I would recommend her to anyone who gets the chance to travel to France :)

Yame, that was beautiful as always!