freecycle

Salome

Administrator
I am in no way affiliated with this group and i have not personally used it... but i love the mission to reuse and for people in the community to connect with resources. It is suppose to be international, though i don't know bow far reaching it is yet. It's at The Freecycle Network. if you need something or have something to give you post it... clothes, furniture, tools etc.

AndreaSTL

This can be a great resource! I've gotten a few things through this network. I, too, hate the thought of something being pitched if it can be used by someone.

BeatriceC

I've benefited from my local freecycle group, by acquiring a vcr player (so that I can watch my old dance videos!), and other stuff, and by getting rid of stuff that was cluttering up my tiny flat. I love it!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I just took a look and there is one in my district. I'll certainly be keeping that in mind when I have something that someone else can use & I might get lucky & find something I can use:D Thanks for bringing this to my attention Salome.
~Mosaic

Dunyah

I belong to a similar group called free recycle, it's a yahoo group, I'm not sure if it is just in my local area. I have gotten stuff like a brand new bathrobe, a child's car seat still in the box, used jewelry, a microwave. I have given away stuff like a vintage barber's chair, clothing, magazines, an entertainment center, etc.

It's a great idea. The down side can be that some people use it to get other people to haul away really worthless stuff. I once went to get a lawn mower, but it turned out to be non-functional. Ugh. The other down side is that people will say they are coming over to get whatever you are offering, so you put it out front or whatever, but they don't show up. Or conversely, you go to get something and it's not there. There are are few hit and misses like that, but mostly it has been great. It does take a little time and effort, but it can be great.