One of those Performing for Free Questions

AspiringDancer

I don't want be controversial or anything but here's the deal:

I've been a student for over three years and in the past 6 months or so I've had quite a few performance opportunities through the studio (solo and troupes..yay!)

An old friend of mine works at a tea shop, are launching a new product, and have asked some performers (including me) to do a performance (one or two numbers) in exchange for some of their new product...So basically, it's a free performance.

Obviously I want to do this to help out my friend and because I really want the experience but I want to do things right too. I know that undercutting and performing for free is a sensitive issue in the community, to say the least!

I would never pass myself as pro and would want her to make it clear that I'm a student.

Thoughts?

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
It depends to me on if the products you are exchanging are equivalent prices/cost to what you would have charged for the performance. Also is it going to be a one time thing? If she wants you do this every other time she is launching a new product I would think twice about it cause you will set a standard she will come to expect and might get annoyed if later you try to charge money.

AspiringDancer

It's a one time thing. I have no idea how much the products would be worth and I'm not really all that interested in it anyway. I really do just want the experience/fun. Well she hasn't even confirmed yet so I shouldn't get in a twist about it. I did outright refuse to give a lesson after the performance though.

Aniseteph

I'd feel OK with a one-time thing if my friend was the owner of the tea shop or the producer of the new product. Then it's personal - it's a direct favour to my friend, who is getting the benefit. The value of the product doesn't matter because it's a thank you gift, and the fun of the experience is its own reward.

If my friend just works there I'd be uncomfortable about it, because then it's for the benefit of the shop/product owner. Why would I do them a favour, unless they are a community project?

shiradotnet

Hmmm, I'm not so concerned about the "performing for free" aspect as I am about the "student performing in a situation where the public would normally expect to see a pro" aspect.

Even if your friend tries to "make it clear" that you're a student, not a pro, spectators will assume you're passing yourself off as a pro because the situation (promotional event by a business) is one where people expect to see pros. You'll be negatively judged if your skills, costume, makeup, hairstyle, posture, etc. aren't up to expectation.

Also, when students dance in these situations, they "train" the public to think that belly dancers are amateurish, and NOT real dancers, because that's what the public sees. It could damage the opportunity for working pros in your community to get gigs: "I saw a dancer at a tea shop event, and ____ so if that's what belly dancing is, I don't want to hire one. I think I'll just ___ instead."

Or, another spin on it occurs when the public sees student belly dancers performing all over town, every time they turn around: "No, I don't want to hire a belly dancer for my party. In the last 6 months, I've seen belly dancers at probably a dozen different events, and I'm tired of them. Maybe I'll hire a Mae West impersonator instead..."

I think it's great you're trying to get some experience, and I encourage you to keep trying to do that! I'm just not sure this particular event is the right place to do it.

Crow

I always use the WWADOSODTINBD (What Would A Dancer Of Some Other Dance That Is Not Bellydance Do?) technique when assessing these questions. If you were a student of Flamenco, and you were asked to perform at a tea shop, would you do it?

People get sensitive about Bellydance because the number of professional practitioners is very small compared to other dances, and people's perceptions of the dance is still so wrong. But I think it is also wrong to shape your behaviour (and expect others to shape theirs) because of these factors. It's almost like positive discrimination.

Do what feels right to you. Don't do what you think others think is right.

Dunyah

Why not run it by your teacher and see what she thiniks? Shira makes good points about students performing when they are not at pro level.

gisela

Super Moderator
I am pretty much with Shira.

Since we don't know you or how well you dance, you (or your teacher, as Dunyah suggested) will of course have ultimate say. I think that if you feel you are good enough to give a pleasant impression of bellydance to the GP and have an appropriately professional costume (no need for a $1000 Bella, but also not just a hip scarf and leggings) then go ahead. Friend favours are in my book totally OK once in a while.

Kashmir

Personally I allow myself two free/low cost gigs a year providing I really am behind the cause/person and if there are any other performers they are working under the same conditions. So, yes, the the past I have performed for free at a friend's opening (knowing if I said 'no' she would not then go and pay another dancers to perform).

But, Shira's point is very important. This is a public gig. Are you really up to it? Seriously, is your presentation, technique, costume, music choice, audience interaction, professionality up to a paid public gig? If not, then no, say 'no'. It doesn't matter that you are not charging - it matters if you do well.

I think you should also discuss this with your teacher - for her take on where you are at but also to let her know what is going on. S/he may be supportive; s/he may even come along. But she shouldn't find out by overhearing someone discussing your performance in teh supermarket queue.

AspiringDancer

Thanks everyone. I actually asked my teacher earlier in the week if a troupe or teacher would be interested and she said that none of the teachers would be available. Now it's the weekend, show is on Sunday, and it's actually too late to run it by her without bothering her on a day off. I definitely wouldn't want to do anything behind my instructor's back.

I totally respect this art form through and through and I DO think that I can represent re: costume, music etc to a decent level but Shira and others cautioning me definitely raised valid points that I will think over carefully. Thanks again for your help!

Elisheva

I've been thinking something similar lately. I am also a student...improving intermediate, at that funny stage where people who know nothing about the dance or are very new to it often think I am much better than in fact I am, and people with some degree of experience know exactly what level I am at. I've been asked to perform at some charity events and at residential care homes and hospices. I always tell organisers that I am absolutely not professional and will direct them to professionals if they need them. I've also discussed it with my teacher and never use her choreographies without her permission (though she has given me complete carte blanche with them). I personally do not have any qualms about doing a little dance to cheer up elderly or ill people in a care home, or for a good cause. I would hesitate if it were an actual "public" performance (I realise charity shows could be regarded as public, but you know what I mean...and without wishing to be unkind, most of the performers at these are far below the standard in their art than I am at mine) where we might otherwise expect a certain level and might judge future dancers by the standard.

When in doubt, I ask my teacher.

AspiringDancer

Just to update. I went with my instinct on this and did the show. It was amazing. I really needed that experience to reinforce my drive and passion for wanting to take this as far as I can because sometimes I worry that I'm living in my head. To be able to take a performance idea, present it, and do it well was very positive for me.

It also spawned another offer to perform at a company launch party.

This really is an agonizing situation because I actually do want to do the best thing for the greater good and for my future as a professional performer. However, if I know I can pull it off and I really want to do it then like the first time it's a highly valuable experience for me. I guess I'm trying to balance whether thinking of me is selfish or if that's what you have to do to get the experience and exposure.

At least for this one I'll have time to discuss it with one of my teachers.

gisela

Super Moderator
Congratulations on a good experience!

If you charge at least local minimum fee for the gig then go ahead, do it and have great time :) They obviously enjoyed seeing you dance.

Just to update. I went with my instinct on this and did the show. It was amazing. I really needed that experience to reinforce my drive and passion for wanting to take this as far as I can because sometimes I worry that I'm living in my head. To be able to take a performance idea, present it, and do it well was very positive for me.

It also spawned another offer to perform at a company launch party.

This really is an agonizing situation because I actually do want to do the best thing for the greater good and for my future as a professional performer. However, if I know I can pull it off and I really want to do it then like the first time it's a highly valuable experience for me. I guess I'm trying to balance whether thinking of me is selfish or if that's what you have to do to get the experience and exposure.

At least for this one I'll have time to discuss it with one of my teachers.