Costume Measurement

BellyBee

Hi Ladies:
I have a question that confused me for quite a while concerning the costume measurement. So my low hip and high hip are 34 and 36, and I am looking at one of the costume I like, here are the size they put online High Hips: 30 to 44 in
Low Hips: 36 to 60 in. By looking at the measurement, I should be able to fit in this costume (Just some additional information, the skirt is one of those stretchy hug your body type). However, when I measure my own skirt of the same style, the low hip and high hip are 28 and 30. But it fits me well. So my question is do you think the costume I am looking at will be too loose on me.

And when the website gives you a range of the low hip and high hip, how do you decide if it's the right size for you assuming it's a stretchy spandex type of skirt?

ezmasiddiqah

Yes I think that particular costume would be too big for you. since you have a stretchy style that does fit you, it sounds like your costume laying flat unstretched is 28" upper hip, 30" lower hip. And when you have it on it stretches to fit your actual measurements of 34 and 36. How much stretch does your costume have - you can measure this and use the max stretch numbers as a reference when shopping online. And you can always email vendors and ask them about sizing. Good luck!

AndreaSTL

And when the website gives you a range of the low hip and high hip, how do you decide if it's the right size for you assuming it's a stretchy spandex type of skirt?
As Ezmasiddiqah mentioned just e-mail or call them. I think most vendors have a return policy, although you might have to pay for return shipping if it doesn't fit.

This skirt will probably fit well at your upper hip because you are four inches bigger than the smallest measurement. The tricky part is your lower hip, which is exactly the unstretched measurement. How do you like your skirts to fit? Some dancers like a tight fit yet others feel constricted. It's not so much of an issue with this costume, but keep in mind that the more you stretch the skirt you're also affecting the length. When the fabric stretches to cover the hips and booty it shortens. You can lose up to at least two inches that way.

Are you willing/able to do any alterations? Depending on how the skirt is designed and decorated you might be able to take it in a bit on the side seams to better fit your lower hip. Any alteration will usually make the costume ineligible for return, though.