Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am Back

Post Thanks / Like

Default I am Back

Hello everyone. I am not new...I was on this board a while ago. But I kind of went back and forth with participating and back and forth with wanting to bellydance..and kind of drifted off..then I forgot my login information. But a lot of people here now probably don't know me..so I'll reintroduce myself.

I'm not in love with my name on here: It's a combination of a nickname from a former friend who turned out to be really really bad news....and a non-ME pop song (Loba by Shakira) I like. I sent an email to Salome...if it's okay with her I'm going to have my name changed to Sierra Shukarni. It's what I'd pick if I were going to use a belly dance stage name. "Sierra" is a common name for things where I'm from (Nevada) and "Shukarni" is the word for a beautiful woman in the Romany language. I thought the "label" would be nice for me since I have struggled with appearance and body image issues my whole life. So if you start seeing "Sierra Shukarni" on here that's me.

Since I've been gone: I am doing a lot better with actually dancing instead of just drilling. I used to have a bad habit of drilling constantly, but not dancing enough. I still have many weak areas though. I can only improv. I need to learn at least the basics of choreography. And my stationery arm positions are horrible.

I'm still self taught. I keep hearing rumors of belly dance classes that never seem to be there, and right now there is no belly dance in my hometown. The next nearest place is 165 miles away...so self taught it is for a while.

I hope everyone is well. I have two part time jobs now...both writing ones...and Ive made some good friends in town, and started going to church...and taking walks for exercise...so I might not be here a lot except on weekends...but I hope to participate in the forum regularly...and hope I can offer some help to someone as well as get advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi LadyLoba/Sierra, nice to see you again, welcome back!

Wow, 165 miles, that puts my travelling-to-classes issues dilemmas into perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Yes, it is quite a long way. I've put together a pretty good lesson plan on my own..but it took a ton of studying before I got it right. In terms of the best way to learn...I would say..lessons or classes are the best...and a very focused, mixed method (online teachers, DVDs, online video dictionaries plus a ton of research into the dance) is next.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back. Seems you have been a busy lady but have managed to keep dancing, good for you
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been working on it. I'd love to perform, but can't even think of anywhere near me.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Lady.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back! I remember you from when you were here before. I think your "Sierra Shukarni" name sounds lovely, a great choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back!
    ( fighting the urge to embed a John Sebastian clip)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I'm still "Lady Loba" on here, but I'd dance as either just my own real name or Sierra Shukarni. I'm also hoping to have a western USA "flavor" to my costumes...nothing funny...just a southwestern color pallette...gold and silver for neutrals...skirts in turquoise and sage green and the shades of a western sunset: bright pink, bright orange, soft purple, yellow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast