I am Back

LadyLoba

Hello everyone. I am not new...I was on this board a while ago. But I kind of went back and forth with participating and back and forth with wanting to bellydance..and kind of drifted off..then I forgot my login information. But a lot of people here now probably don't know me..so I'll reintroduce myself.

I'm not in love with my name on here: It's a combination of a nickname from a former friend who turned out to be really really bad news....and a non-ME pop song (Loba by Shakira) I like. I sent an email to Salome...if it's okay with her I'm going to have my name changed to Sierra Shukarni. It's what I'd pick if I were going to use a belly dance stage name. "Sierra" is a common name for things where I'm from (Nevada) and "Shukarni" is the word for a beautiful woman in the Romany language. I thought the "label" would be nice for me since I have struggled with appearance and body image issues my whole life. So if you start seeing "Sierra Shukarni" on here that's me.

Since I've been gone: I am doing a lot better with actually dancing instead of just drilling. I used to have a bad habit of drilling constantly, but not dancing enough. I still have many weak areas though. I can only improv. I need to learn at least the basics of choreography. And my stationery arm positions are horrible.

I'm still self taught. I keep hearing rumors of belly dance classes that never seem to be there, and right now there is no belly dance in my hometown. The next nearest place is 165 miles away...so self taught it is for a while.

I hope everyone is well. I have two part time jobs now...both writing ones...and Ive made some good friends in town, and started going to church...and taking walks for exercise...so I might not be here a lot except on weekends...but I hope to participate in the forum regularly...and hope I can offer some help to someone as well as get advice.

Aniseteph

Hi LadyLoba/Sierra, nice to see you again, welcome back!

Wow, 165 miles, that puts my travelling-to-classes issues dilemmas into perspective.

LadyLoba

Thank you :) Yes, it is quite a long way. I've put together a pretty good lesson plan on my own..but it took a ton of studying before I got it right. In terms of the best way to learn...I would say..lessons or classes are the best...and a very focused, mixed method (online teachers, DVDs, online video dictionaries plus a ton of research into the dance) is next.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome back. Seems you have been a busy lady but have managed to keep dancing, good for you:D
~Mosaic

shiradotnet

Welcome back! I remember you from when you were here before. I think your "Sierra Shukarni" name sounds lovely, a great choice.

LadyLoba

Thanks guys. I'm still "Lady Loba" on here, but I'd dance as either just my own real name or Sierra Shukarni. I'm also hoping to have a western USA "flavor" to my costumes...nothing funny...just a southwestern color pallette...gold and silver for neutrals...skirts in turquoise and sage green and the shades of a western sunset: bright pink, bright orange, soft purple, yellow.

LadyLoba

Quit Belly dancing and hoping to start again soon

I've been on the forum from time to time, but I basically quit belly dancing. Lately, however, I keep finding myself doing some isolations I remember from past studies....watching videos of favorite belly dancers on YouTube...and wanting to dance again. There are still no lessons within 165 miles, but (my writing area notwithstanding) I'm good at organization and planning. I am thinking of making myself a belly dance playlist from all the music I have left over from before, making myself a lesson plan, and going back to it.

I know why I keep quitting...it's because I get discouraged and down. There have been some issues in my life lately, and I've got exactly one friend who talks to me for a few minutes a couple times a week and no other social life....struggling with my business...not to get too deep into personal stuff...but things just kind of blew up into a big mess and belly dancing fell by the wayside.

But I'm thinking it might help me to get back into it. So I thought I'd give it a try again.

Farasha Hanem

Hi, LadyLoba, and welcome back. Have you given any thought to online classes? Since losing my transportation to my regular classes, I've been taking online classes with Darshiva, who teaches Egyptian style. There are a number of teachers available online, I'm sure you can find one who's a good fit in whatever style you want to learn. :)

LadyLoba

No, I never thought of that...that is a very good idea..online lessons. I rely heavily on the SOUL Studio Belly dance Dictionary's online lessons..but they aren't full lessons, just demos. I had my first day back to bellydancing today, and I remembered all the basic isolations, the 5 shimmies I knew and the 5 traveling steps I knew....and am working on combining them into dances...but that is rough of course. I used to be able to do it smoothly.

Darshiva

Welcome back. :)

Since my skype classes have been invoked in this thread, I'll point you towards some videos of me performing so you can see for yourself if my style is something you'd like in your own dance practice. If it does interest you, shoot me a pm and we can take it from there.

Darshiva Dances

Selene

Well hello Sierra!

I am new here, and I am just saying hi to everyone around ^_^

I hope you can find a belly dance class, but in the meanwhile take advantage of your situation, learn at your own pace and at your own time. I have been self taught for around 10 years (since the first time I heard about bellydance when I was 10 years old) My mother was the first one to teach me anything about it (just some figure 8's) and I was very excited learning new things and actually it was being quite easy for me. Later, I wanted to join dance schools but I never had the opportunity, but I danced everytime I could (two talent shows during school years, and a dance contest) also I always watched videos to learn more, but I was not constant :S

Now im in a school, and I am loving it.

well, thats it, nice to meet you!