Opinions on multi colored beads and sequins

LadyLoba

I am looking at the store Horus and Isis for my first costume. I am thinking that a metallic that goes with any color skirt would be the best...like gold or silver...then I can change the skirt around and add different accessories as I can afford to put together different costumes.

But I noticed this store offers a "multi" option as well. Has anyone ever seen one of these in person? If so..how do they look? Is every color immediately noticeable, or does the bra and belt sort of "pick up" whatever color is in the skirt?

I looked at their example online but its hard to tell.

nitewindz

I am looking at the store Horus and Isis for my first costume. I am thinking that a metallic that goes with any color skirt would be the best...like gold or silver...then I can change the skirt around and add different accessories as I can afford to put together different costumes.

But I noticed this store offers a "multi" option as well. Has anyone ever seen one of these in person? If so..how do they look? Is every color immediately noticeable, or does the bra and belt sort of "pick up" whatever color is in the skirt?

I looked at their example online but its hard to tell.

I suggest asking them for a photo of one, or at least, a clearer description. I am a happy H&I customer so I can recommend them, the products and service are very good.

As for multi color costumes in general. They can be beautiful or just a mish-mash. First, the multi colors have to look good together. Then, they have to be in a design big enough to show up at a distance. Tiny, multi color patterns blend into a brown mud color if viewed from more than a few feet away.

A good multi color costume gives more options than a single color costume, but still limits your choices more than a neutral does. Example, a gold costume works equally well with a pastel blue chiffon skirt, an olive green satin skirt or a cherry red lycra skirt. A costume in strong primary colors will look good with the cherry red skirt, but the olive green might clash and the pastel look washed out.

A mix of neutral colors adds interest while keeping that neutral flexibility. Gold, silver, copper, ivory, black, "nude" and white go with each other and just about everything else. Black and "nude" can be troublesome, though. Solid black costumes can "disappear" into a dark background. "Nude" costumes create an effect that might not be right for certain venues. Both are great mixed with other neutrals.

LadyLoba

Thank you! I do love the Horus and Isis web site. The ones I want from there are the "plain" bra and belt set they offer in all their colors. Now that I've read your reply I think I'm going to save up for a silver set and a gold set rather than multi. I don't have a lot of money...so I was thinking it would be smart to start out a bellydance wardrobe with simple items I can mix, match, and switch around to form costumes. I have noticed that the fabric and color of the skirt can really make it look like a completely different costume. And of course there are accessories you can add.

Kozmique

I agree that a metallic is the most versatile. You can wear it more often, dressing it up in a multitude of different ways so no one realizes it's the same set. But I recently bought a wild multicolored bra and belt from Roxanne Shelby that I have to admit is quite fab, though I needed convincing when I first saw it that it was really "me." But then I loved dancing in it! It has so many colors that I could wear it with just about anything in the visible spectrum :)

fbds3.jpg

Aniseteph

Love that pic! :dance:

Bold multicolours (ie. where they don't merge into brownish at a distance) will go with any colour that's in them, or more. But to me they are still more of a statement than a neutral metallic. They aren't going to merge into the rest of the costume and fool anyone that it's a whole 'nuther costume, because HEY LOOK SHINY MULTICOLOUR SPARKLINESS!!!!!

LadyLoba

That is a beautiful costume. The one I was looking at seemed like it might wind up a little muddy looking from a distance...I love the swirls of color in this one shown here.

AndreaSTL

This came up on Bhuz not too long ago, so I'm just cutting & pasting my answer from there (why yes, I am a bit lazy. Why do you ask? ;) )
Choose a set in a color you love; one that you look good in and makes you happy. It's lime green? No problem! You can pair the following colors with lime: green, yellow, white, turquoise, brown, tan, orange, and purple. Keep in mind that you have various shades of each, and some are better than other. If the lime is more on the pastel side you might want to go for lavender rather than royal purple, but the purple option is still there. If it's an acid lime green go for a wild hot pink for contrast; a baby pink just won't seem right.

Some people like to get a multicolored set for all the skirt options, but it seems like dancers either love or hate them. I don't think I've ever heard someone be middle of the road on the multi sets.

If the costume is just for you then get what you like. There a big variety of solid colors available for skirts, and if you like patterned skirts you have even more options. If you think you'll be dancing with an already established group take a look at what they have and try to choose something that will blend in. For example, if they all have jewel tones you'll stick out if you've gone the pastel route.

Probably the most important thing is to make sure you like it. Chances are you'll have it for a while, and you don't want to regret your decision. Just because something is an amazing deal doesn't mean you have to settle. Not feeling beautiful or being uncomfortable in a style outside of your comfort zone will show up in your dancing, so make sure it's what you want. Buying a costume should be fun and not frustrating!

------
(new & not pasted) I agree with the advice you've gotten so far on the multicolored sets. If you are likely to be dancing near the audience then the sets where every bead is a different color will be fine. If you are going to be farther away on a stage they can tend to be dull. That can change if there are paillettes on the costume, though, because there are bigger sections of color that way.

LadyLoba

That is a good point on the colors. I am definitely getting a gold set and a silver set. They have a $200 minimum order and the skirts I want are all at other stores, so I was thinking one gold, one silver, and one in my favorite color (turquoise) or in white or black. I do like a lot of different skirts.