View Poll Results: Thoughts on paid membership?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would not choose a paid membership (no mater what was included)

8 28.57%
  • I would consider a paid membership (depending on what is included & cost)

16 57.14%
  • I would definitely subscribe to a paid membership here

4 14.29%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

An astounding amount of people access the forum without ever logging in. Would only paid members be able to log in? Would the people who don't pay to log in still be able to access the forum? How would that work? It's the posters that create the content on forums that people want, so it would be a good idea to encourage posting somehow. Mods should not pay, they do enough already

My husband is on a Red Sox baseball fan forum that is $20 a year and you have to have someone already on the forum vouch for you. They also have a trial forum where posts by perspective members are evaluated by the mods for admittance to the serious forum. I don't advocate all that, just pointing out that there are forums who aren't as laid back and open as this one.

"There are currently 161 users online. 3 members and 158 guests" See what I'm talking about?!?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    An astounding amount of people access the forum without ever logging in. Would only paid members be able to log in? Would the people who don't pay to log in still be able to access the forum? How would that work? It's the posters that create the content on forums that people want, so it would be a good idea to encourage posting somehow. Mods should not pay, they do enough already

My husband is on a Red Sox baseball fan forum that is $20 a year and you have to have someone already on the forum vouch for you. They also have a trial forum where posts by perspective members are evaluated by the mods for admittance to the serious forum. I don't advocate all that, just pointing out that there are forums who aren't as laid back and open as this one.

"There are currently 161 users online. 3 members and 158 guests" See what I'm talking about?!?!
    Since the new look was activated, several forums are "private" which means Guests can't access those forums, and have to register to have access, Lyrics & Sauna are 2 of those. We've had a few more people register than we usually do since that was implemented
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I for one am glad that the Sauna is now private---I didn't know that. Remember how many newbies in the past judged us prematurely because of some of the controversies there? *shudders*

Having Lyrics private is a very good idea, too. We have those who work/have worked hard on song translations; let people join the forum and contribute something in whatever subforums where they can share knowledge, too!

Post Thanks / Like

Being a mod I would still support the forum anyway I can. I know that paying for and running a forum-with all the update costs, hosting costs, bandwidth costs, support care, etc- can run into the high hundreds if not thousands of dollars every year. So many people don't understand how much running a forum actually costs and it is not free. Adding advertisements helps a little bit but you can't use it to fully fund it because then people start complaining about the ads. Right now that price is all paid for by Salome and be we all get the benefits for free.

The suggestion of benefits for certain amount of donation levels could work but then again that is still membership. Donations are usually just given for free with no benefits. However if we wanted to attach certain benefits to certain ranges of money that could work. I think the benefits should be a lot of smaller things that would not take away from people being able to access the basics of the forum if they can't afford to donate but will be things that will nice and enticing for those who can.

I like to suggest maybe a little tag or badge that goes under or over our avatar that says forum supporter or something. That way even if someone can only though a couple of bucks in they still get a nice little badge to let others know they have helped keep this wonderful place running.
    Last edited by ~Diana~; 03-20-2013 at 12:20 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

I happen to think that what supports oneself one should invest in, not to exact a return in a monetary sense, but websites that one finds comfortable and indeed useful need to be supported as why should another bear all the costs, yeah sure advertising, but websites can do without those, I am a member of a few that do without where paid subscribers enable that fact.

And so although I am not in a position to pay for luxuries at the present through being unemployed, if it came to a subscription to support what I find useful, I have no qualms at all in my sense of helping out and this website indeed has been very useful to me, for bringing together such fine people that have helped me over the years and so, it is the only BD forum I am a member of.

When my fortunes change, if there is an option for subscription to this website I will duly subscribe through what I have said to support the good work this website does. I have two other forums where I feel the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be happy to pay an annual fee just to help keep the board going. I like the idea of the drawing and pretty much agree with everybody else on the other items.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, some of the ads block the entire posts or at least on my cellphone. I'm not sure I'm in the financial situation to contribute for a monthly fee. I gave up on the online lessons because I felt through a cost benefit analysis wasn't worth the money. So it would just discourage me from coming on the board more often or just turn the ad blocker on for this site.

It would definitely be interesting if we could come up with unique gifts that would encourage people to donate without making others displeased that they don't get them due to financial situations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munniko View Post
    yeah, some of the ads block the entire posts or at least on my cellphone.
    You can use the mobile version "default mobile style". It is in the same place where you choose styles of the main site. Ad's will not interfere with the viewing.
    Like the forum on Facebook ~ Follow me on Pinterest and Twitter ~ We appreciate support of this forum through ads, shopping, and donations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    An astounding amount of people access the forum without ever logging in. Would only paid members be able to log in? Would the people who don't pay to log in still be able to access the forum? How would that work?
    I will probably not lock the forum, entirely, from guest viewing. This has to do with google visibility and ranking. I have started to limit the things that guests have access to. I locked several forums from guests and will do more with other permissions in the event we do paid permissions.
    Like the forum on Facebook ~ Follow me on Pinterest and Twitter ~ We appreciate support of this forum through ads, shopping, and donations.

Post Thanks / Like

I responded that I would consider it, but I would have to weigh the benefits/drawbacks carefully first. I have budgets for my advertising, continuing education, costuming, classes, and research, so it would have to be more valuable to me than something already in my budget in order to fit my needs. I wouldn't be opposed to an annual donation drive or something like that either as it is often easier to have a one-time by-choice payment each year for me.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast