View Poll Results: Thoughts on paid membership?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would not choose a paid membership (no mater what was included)

8 28.57%
  • I would consider a paid membership (depending on what is included & cost)

16 57.14%
  • I would definitely subscribe to a paid membership here

4 14.29%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a little surprised that some people posted that it would detour them from visiting the forum. If you have a free membership and can read the forums and post in all the forums, why? Just curious
    Like the forum on Facebook ~ Follow me on Pinterest and Twitter ~ We appreciate support of this forum through ads, shopping, and donations.

Post Thanks / Like

Because among your ideas for the membership were things like:
    "Able to access some area’s that are visible to moderators only right now"
    "A private member only forum"

If the "membership" is only extra perks that don't affect the forum interaction I wouldn't care but I've been on too many forums that have created limited access for some members over others and seen the us and them attitude that results. The blow ups, misunderstandings, and hurt feelings that can occur when someone is left out of the conversation is just not worth it.

There is also the risk of people who don't want to pay (or can't afford to) feeling unwelcome.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking maybe the ability to blog might be worth a paid membership. Then again, I guess our posts really can be used as blogs. Anybody else got a thought on this?

Post Thanks / Like

I looked up the "insider" option on another forum I am a member on.
    It includes:
    Optional instant E-mail notifications with postings on the forum.
    Possibility to post anonymously.
    Search PMs from a specific contact.
    Attach files in PMs
    Signature/+links in posts and PMs
    Use of the moderating system. (like the "report post" button on here)

Some of these are not really interesting for me, like the instant notifications or posting anonymously. Others might be of more use. Just posting this to give ideas.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    I looked up the "insider" option on another forum I am a member on.
    It includes:
    Optional instant E-mail notifications with postings on the forum.
    Possibility to post anonymously.
    Search PMs from a specific contact.
    Attach files in PMs
    Signature/+links in posts and PMs
    Use of the moderating system. (like the "report post" button on here)

Some of these are not really interesting for me, like the instant notifications or posting anonymously. Others might be of more use. Just posting this to give ideas.
    Attaching files to PMs could be handy.
    ~M
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I have the ability to integrate blogs on this new version, so that could be added.

Quote Originally Posted by sansa View Post
    I'm thinking maybe the ability to blog might be worth a paid membership. Then again, I guess our posts really can be used as blogs. Anybody else got a thought on this?

Post Thanks / Like

I think that ad free can be a good perk. Personally I can't afford to pay at the moment, so I don't mind putting up with ads. Btw it would be handy if the ads could be dance related. I'm afraid that people won't click on the random ads.

Idea: Maybe you could offer more space for pictures for people who pay

I do think that general paid membership would put a lot of people off, but I am sure some people would pay for an ad free option

Quote Originally Posted by sansa View Post
    I am part of forums that have blog options but those don't seem to be used much. I think that you're right, people's posts are kind like a blog already

Post Thanks / Like

I opted for considering joining, but so far the only perk that would draw me in is being able to attach files to a PM.

I ignore the ads, so I really don't even know what's showing up. I would prefer that new posts be started rather than having a separate blog section. (On other forums I go to with this feature I don't visit this section.) I don't like the private groups for the reasons already stated. I don't modify colors on other forums so I'm not likely to do it here. I have no idea what is currently visible only to moderators so I can't comment on that one.

Since I always log in I had no idea that some forums were not available to non-members. I think this is perfectly reasonable. To me it's the same as having a free version of software with limited features and a paid version with full functionality. I understand the need to worry about visibility and ranking, so it's not a problem to me that what I post is visible to a random stranger. I just assume that everyone can see what I write and post accordingly.

Quite honestly this is my favorite belly dance board and the only one I visit with any regularity. I like the community and the ability to have disagreements without personal attacks. I have donated in the past to keep a mosaic forum going and would consider doing so here. There was a mark of "Contributor" in your avatar text, but I was a bit uncomfortable with that. There's no way of knowing who could contribute but doesn't and who financially can't. I would hate for someone not in a position to financially help feel like they are being called out in a back-handed sort of way. Does this even make sense? I have a head cold and probably have no business even posting!

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean, it would make others look Scrooge-y even though they might be too poor to contribute. I wonder how Bhuz is doing when it comes to this, I think they make their money out of belly dance advertising? That would be the best, I like seeing belly dance ads maybe they have a few too many, but if it works, it's a great way to make money for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no!~ not the dreaded Bhuz ads everywhere. I very, very seldom go there now, maybe once every 3 mths, but usually leave fairly quickly due to the constant ad bombardment & the fact it is basically a costume selling site these days.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast