View Poll Results: Thoughts on paid membership?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would not choose a paid membership (no mater what was included)

8 28.57%
  • I would consider a paid membership (depending on what is included & cost)

16 57.14%
  • I would definitely subscribe to a paid membership here

4 14.29%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paid forum membership

Hi all,

A couple of my moderators brought up some points that made me think about possibly setting up a paid membership subscription OPTION. For a reasonable sum: a paid member would get features that the free access does not

Advertisement free (no links, no google ad’s etc.)
    Possibly have some edit functions: move own threads, edit title box etc.
    Larger avatar
    Could make own custom user title, change color etc
    Significant PM space
    Able to access some area’s that are visible to moderators only right now
    A private member only forum
    Maybe qualify for a monthly drawing for paid subscribers
    And I don’t know what all else, just brain storming at the moment.

Is this something anybody is interested in? What do you feel would be a reasonable sum to you? Is there a privilege or something in particular (besides NO ad’s) that you would want in a paid version?
    Like the forum on Facebook ~ Follow me on Pinterest and Twitter ~ We appreciate support of this forum through ads, shopping, and donations.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be in favor of all but possibly one of the suggestions listed above, depending. If the moderator-only accessed areas means what i think it means, then I don't like this one idea, because it defeats the whole purpose of having such an area.

As for fees, well, I'm an awful businesswoman, but how much a year would it cost to run and maintain a special, ad-free forum? That would be the only way I could mathematically figure what a fair subscription would be, or even if it would be worth offering such a thing. That is, if I were smart enough to do the math!

OH! More picture space would be nice, too!
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 03-19-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in support of paid membership. How much would depend on the perks available though

I used to pay $14 a quarter (I think) for last fm and that allowed me a bunch of functionality (listening to other people's libraries, making and exporting playlists etc) that made it worthwhile. That was before last fm went a bit down the tube.

I don't use this forum in quite the same way but I would be more likely to share and upload photos in a section of the forum that I know only paid members can access.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to be able to donate to the running costs of the forum when/where I had the funds to do so. I'd certainly be on board with the more pm space thing and even moreso with the whole no ads thing.

There's other stuff I'm not so certain about and I'm also worried about needing to commit to a regular payment, because that's something that is right off the cards right now and for I don't know how long. But in principle I'm in support of the idea.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

I like those ideas and I am up for a membership on the forum for extra benefits. I don't agree though that paid members should be able to see the moderators forum since there is a good reason that is is closed to non mod/admins viewing. However I do like the members only seeing thread maybe.

As for costs, maybe have a membership tier? This would let people help out the cost of the site in a way that they can afford. Say for a range from $-$ they would get these benefits, from the next tier up they would get those and a few more benefits. I am not sure if the webmaster could set something up automatically like this or if it would all have to be done by hand though. If done by hand this will take a lot of time for someone to do.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Just FYI, Board for Moderators will always remain a private forum.
    Like the forum on Facebook ~ Follow me on Pinterest and Twitter ~ We appreciate support of this forum through ads, shopping, and donations.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this something anybody is interested in? What do you feel would be a reasonable sum to you? Is there a privilege or something in particular (besides NO ad’s) that you would want in a paid version?
    What do you feel would be a reasonable sum to you?
    $1-$2 a month. I know it's not a lot but many of the forums I frequent are in a financial crunch and asking members to contribute, and let's face it—$5 here, $10 there starts to add up quickly. It doesn't make sense for me to spend more on forums than I do on classes. Besides which, the extra features… (see below)

Is there a privilege or something in particular (besides NO ad’s) that you would want in a paid version?
    Not me. The perks are nice but they're not anything I need. I don't even mind the ads (not even those obnoxious asian singles dating ads, because "belly dance" translates to "looking for a mail order bride" in the advertising algorithm ) as I know they're a revenue stream. My issue now is that they're actively interfering with posts (squishing or covering) and I understand that if they're done away with then the revenue to keep the site running must come from somewhere else (i.e. members).

Post Thanks / Like

I will be blunt. I can't afford a paid membership so I avoid boards that have them even if they are for extra stuff. I also know I am not the only one who does so so you could potentially lose future members by adding this function.

Now no one thinks anything however of donations for "perks".

If say you had a specific monetary value attached to each perk with perhaps a year time-limit (for the forum based items) then I can see it working without anyone feeling left out. It's a great way that people who want to donate to the site can do so without you feeling like you're begging. Just be careful that the perks aren't something that will become more of a burden then they're worth.

Advertisement free (no links, no google ad’s etc.)
    This is a good idea. A lot of people use some kind of Ad-blocker but a lot don't and I can see people giving a yearly donation to block them. My only concern is that it might make it harder for you to get paid ads if you need them.

Possibly have some edit functions: move own threads, edit title box etc.
    As someone who has been a moderator I would not offer this. I can easily imagine the confusion it could cause.

Larger avatar
    Good idea. Some people really like those. As long as your server can handle it go for it. Allowing (limited/max size) images in signatures for a donation could work with that as well.

Could make own custom user title, change color etc
    Also could be a lot of fun.

Significant PM space
    Could be a bonus to those who use PM's a lot.

Able to access some area’s that are visible to moderators only right now
    Again something I would never do.

A private member only forum
    Bad idea unless you want to create "us" and "them" cliches on the forum. I've been there and seen it happen.

Maybe qualify for a monthly drawing for paid subscribers
    I'm torn on this. It could cause the same resentment as the above. A raffle model could possibly work better but then there is the issue of being an international forum, etc. So while I like the idea of occasional drawings, maybe used as a way to encourage involvement on the forum, I think using it as a paid perk is a bad idea.

The most popular offerings for paid donations I have seen has been things like wallpapers or windows themes. If you know someone who is willing to make some BD themed walls that you can then offer to download for a small price per wall I think you could do quite well with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Advertisement free - LIKE
    Possibly have some edit functions: move own threads, edit title box etc. It's never ocurred to me that I might want to do this. Thread moving is best left to responsible mods IMO.
    Larger avatar not bothered, I'm quite shy
    Could make own custom user title, change color etc That might be fun if I can play with fonts etc. I <3 fonts.
    Significant PM space I've never felt limited by what's there now
    Able to access some area’s that are visible to moderators only right now Is this the area with Shanazel's flying monkey army? ooooohhhh....
    A private member only forum If the barrier is subscribing, then I don't think this would change how I post. You still don't know who is out there.
    Maybe qualify for a monthly drawing for paid subscribers That might be fun.

I wouldn't have a problem with a couple of dollars a month, but for me it's more about supporting something I enjoy and find useful than buying functionality. (except for the ad-blocking, which would be awesome).

Post Thanks / Like

I second everything Ariadne said.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast