Paid forum membership

Thoughts on paid membership?

• I would not choose a paid membership (no mater what was included)

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I would consider a paid membership (depending on what is included & cost)

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • I would definitely subscribe to a paid membership here

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

Salome

Administrator
I am a little surprised that some people posted that it would detour them from visiting the forum. If you have a free membership and can read the forums and post in all the forums, why? Just curious :)

Ariadne

Because among your ideas for the membership were things like:
"Able to access some area’s that are visible to moderators only right now"
"A private member only forum"​

If the "membership" is only extra perks that don't affect the forum interaction I wouldn't care but I've been on too many forums that have created limited access for some members over others and seen the us and them attitude that results. The blow ups, misunderstandings, and hurt feelings that can occur when someone is left out of the conversation is just not worth it.

There is also the risk of people who don't want to pay (or can't afford to) feeling unwelcome.

sansa

I'm thinking maybe the ability to blog might be worth a paid membership. Then again, I guess our posts really can be used as blogs. Anybody else got a thought on this?

gisela

Super Moderator
I looked up the "insider" option on another forum I am a member on.
It includes:
Optional instant E-mail notifications with postings on the forum.
Possibility to post anonymously.
Search PMs from a specific contact.
Attach files in PMs
Signature/+links in posts and PMs
Use of the moderating system. (like the "report post" button on here)

Some of these are not really interesting for me, like the instant notifications or posting anonymously. Others might be of more use. Just posting this to give ideas.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I looked up the "insider" option on another forum I am a member on.
It includes:
Optional instant E-mail notifications with postings on the forum.
Possibility to post anonymously.
Search PMs from a specific contact.
Attach files in PMs
Signature/+links in posts and PMs
Use of the moderating system. (like the "report post" button on here)

Some of these are not really interesting for me, like the instant notifications or posting anonymously. Others might be of more use. Just posting this to give ideas.

Attaching files to PMs could be handy.
~M

Salome

Administrator
I have the ability to integrate blogs on this new version, so that could be added.

I'm thinking maybe the ability to blog might be worth a paid membership. Then again, I guess our posts really can be used as blogs. Anybody else got a thought on this?

Amulya

I think that ad free can be a good perk. Personally I can't afford to pay at the moment, so I don't mind putting up with ads. Btw it would be handy if the ads could be dance related. I'm afraid that people won't click on the random ads.

Idea: Maybe you could offer more space for pictures for people who pay :)

I do think that general paid membership would put a lot of people off, but I am sure some people would pay for an ad free option :)

I am part of forums that have blog options but those don't seem to be used much. I think that you're right, people's posts are kind like a blog already :)

Last edited:

AndreaSTL

I opted for considering joining, but so far the only perk that would draw me in is being able to attach files to a PM.

I ignore the ads, so I really don't even know what's showing up. I would prefer that new posts be started rather than having a separate blog section. (On other forums I go to with this feature I don't visit this section.) I don't like the private groups for the reasons already stated. I don't modify colors on other forums so I'm not likely to do it here. I have no idea what is currently visible only to moderators so I can't comment on that one. :)

Since I always log in I had no idea that some forums were not available to non-members. I think this is perfectly reasonable. To me it's the same as having a free version of software with limited features and a paid version with full functionality. I understand the need to worry about visibility and ranking, so it's not a problem to me that what I post is visible to a random stranger. I just assume that everyone can see what I write and post accordingly. :shok:

Quite honestly this is my favorite belly dance board and the only one I visit with any regularity. I like the community and the ability to have disagreements without personal attacks. I have donated in the past to keep a mosaic forum going and would consider doing so here. There was a mark of "Contributor" in your avatar text, but I was a bit uncomfortable with that. There's no way of knowing who could contribute but doesn't and who financially can't. I would hate for someone not in a position to financially help feel like they are being called out in a back-handed sort of way. Does this even make sense? I have a head cold and probably have no business even posting! :(

Amulya

I know what you mean, it would make others look Scrooge-y even though they might be too poor to contribute. I wonder how Bhuz is doing when it comes to this, I think they make their money out of belly dance advertising? That would be the best, I like seeing belly dance ads :) maybe they have a few too many, but if it works, it's a great way to make money for them.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Oh no!~ not the dreaded Bhuz ads everywhere. I very, very seldom go there now, maybe once every 3 mths, but usually leave fairly quickly due to the constant ad bombardment & the fact it is basically a costume selling site these days.
~Mosaic

Sirène

Oh no!~ not the dreaded Bhuz ads everywhere. I very, very seldom go there now, maybe once every 3 mths, but usually leave fairly quickly due to the constant ad bombardment & the fact it is basically a costume selling site these days.
~Mosaic

At least the ads are no longer animated…barf (we so need a barfing smiley, that I'd pay for :yay:)

Amulya

~Mosaic

I haven't been for ages so maybe it has become worse. Do people still have interesting discussions there or do they only post to sell costumes in market place now?

Farasha Hanem

There were still a few interesting discussions there right before Christmas, but the ads keep running me off (I'm with Sirene---BARF!!! >.< ). The ads within posts here are getting on my last good nerve, too. -_-
Andrea, please get better soon. *hugshugs*

Amulya

I don't notice hem anymore now. It was more that the viglinks (what's the word?) were confusing for me.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I don't recall animated ads here, maybe because they were few & far between:D & I really didn't "see" the ads. It was Bhuz had ads everywhere, flashing & static they overpowered the forum dreadfully.

I've not noticed if google has flashing ads anywhere ( not just here) if they do maybe I just switch off to the odd "flasher" around the web;)
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
I haven't seen any animated ads here either. Honestly on Bhuz I don't mind the ads anymore. I like that they are all relevant to the subject and not random "meet asian women" ads.

Aniseteph

I got an animated ad just now next to Gisela's post when it was the last post on the thread.

I don't know if it's the ads on Bhuz, but it takes so long to load sometimes on our lousy connection that I don't go there much now. That and the fact that the exclude shopping button often gives me a blank page for some reason.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I'm used to just ignoring ads so unless it is an in my face ad I don't even notice it. I however have not see any of these animated ones.