When are you considered professional?

Dunyah

Slightly different take on the topic, but there is an interesting article on the Gilded Serpent right now about being a professional dancer in the clubs in L.A. It's about Shira, a professional dancer for 40 years!

Here are a couple of excerpts about professionalism:

When you already have a regular gig:

"Dianeʼs Nazi Belly Dancer Rules: Show up on time, be sober, practice every day, do daily costume repair, no g-strings, and wear full bikini underwear that matches the costumes, be clean and wear good deodorant, and (for Godʼs sake) don’t date the customers, and more than that, don’t date the club owner!"

When you are aspiring to get a gig:

“Besides passing on Dianeʼs pearls of wisdom, of course, [you should] practice daily, look up and out at your audience, smile, work on your zills and your musicianship. There used to be an unwritten code between dancers for club and restaurant jobs and I guess that this isn’t a bad place to repeat those old ideas that I also learned from Diane.

Never go into somebody elseʼs gig and try to get their job.

Audition only when the restaurant is closed or a very off hour — in other words — don’t ever do a free show. Honestly, if you aren’t good enough yet to be paid, you probably shouldn’t be performing yet. (Dianeʼs words) Another never is: never go into a place and work for less than the current dancer is making; no undercutting someone elseʼs pay!

However, what is so sad is that there just aren’t enough places to perform anymore. My last advice is to go out and watch other dancers, support your local belly dancer, and please be a good audience. Applaud, tip, (but don’t play your zills, wear a costume or get up and dance at someone elseʼs show). Because that isn’t the time to do it. Just watch and learn, because there is always something to absorb from watching another dancer. Every artist is an individual and has a beautiful and unique expression and style.”

Link to the full article: Gilded Serpent, Belly Dance News & Events , » Southern Cal?s ?Shira? Reminisces