Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a dvd? Where did you see that option, Ezma?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daimere View Post
    Also the advanced students/instructor is saying that she says do a move but does something different. We've also changed some hand movements to be more dance like. She also adds a weird pop where there is no accent in the music in a few spots. My instructor said to replace her counts from 8 to 4 and 4s to 2s.
    What you have discovered is the fatal flaw in bellydance - no one move (except shimmies - which proves the rule) has one name. Some moves have multiple names and some names have multiple moves. Remember that if you are in doubt, follow the bouncing butt & ignore the move name unless you collect them like I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daimere View Post
    I think I figured out a quarter of my issues. Since I'm a larger girl, my pivot turns are much smaller/harder to go around. According to a random turning youtube video, the girl even said, "if you are heavier, it may be harder/not as large." Which I think may be the issue with my pivot turns (I have this issue in hoopdance with a move called 360 turn, too). In the choreography, the pivot has to be big enough that the right hip is forward and my right hip is back. I rewatched the shimmy mob videos again really watched their feet when they turn. She used her left foot to turn it over to the side before starting the spin. It seemed to help. Although I lose balance when I am finishing the turn. But I think it's because I'm trying to move so fast that I lose my balance no matter what.
    If you don't mind, and if you can find it, what is the youtube vid that you are referencing? I tried doing a little bit of a search this morning (albeit a quick one and now I'm in a public place without my headphones so I can't look it up now), and I would really like to know what this move is that is harder for heavy figures. There are very few moves that I find to be difficult because of my size (5'2 and a size 18). If it's a paddle turn/pivot turn, then it shouldn't be too different for a different body type. It comes down to practice (which it seems like you are doing). Part of me thinks that if you say something is difficult for a different body type, then those people are going to find it more difficult to do because that seed has already been planted in their head. If I could see the video, maybe I'd be less confrontational, but I really don't like having those little seeds planted.

In regards to getting spins down, do what everyone else has been saying. Start slow and gradually build up your speed. Learn to spot too, it certainly makes it a lot easier!! I had to do one class choreo where there were several spots where we had to do 5 barrel turns in a row and, trust me, there was lots of practice, both slowed down and up to speed.

I wish you the best of luck with this choreo!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't mind, and if you can find it, what is the youtube vid that you are referencing?
    Learn to belly dance: how to do turns and spins - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Aright, so that pivot turn is not necessarily "harder" for heavier folks. I've done a lot and have never had a problem. I've done it in time with a lot thinner people as well. *grumble grumble* /rant

Basic pivot turn is kind of like a 4 step that smooths into a 2 step until eventually it's one smooth movement. There's an awkward phase that your feet go through while you're spinning. Also it helps if you have smooth shoes on while you're learning so you don't get too stuck. I made a short video for you, it's a little awkward because I'm not used to doing this. That video really struck a chord with me and made me a bit grumpy, which is sad because because I've heard good things from her. I can show you a video of me performing (I'm still having some "meh" moments about it that'll hopefully pass) that I'm pretty sure have some pivot turns in it.

My quick pivoty turns

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allinorah View Post
    Part of me thinks that if you say something is difficult for a different body type, then those people are going to find it more difficult to do because that seed has already been planted in their head. If I could see the video, maybe I'd be less confrontational, but I really don't like having those little seeds planted.
    Absolutely agree, don't take on other people's seeds of doubt.

I don't see why size would matter especially. Having more weight to move/stop will take more muscle power than for a smaller body, but that goes for any movement not just turns. For those pivot turns, IMO other factors such as technique and the floor surface are far more important to the physics of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Absolutely agree, don't take on other people's seeds of doubt.

I don't see why size would matter especially. Having more weight to move/stop will take more muscle power than for a smaller body, but that goes for any movement not just turns. For those pivot turns, IMO other factors such as technique and the floor surface are far more important to the physics of it.
    Exactly! I have a much harder time doing any sort of turn on, say, carpet, than wood. I mostly stick to wearing something slippery on my feet like footundeez or ballet shoes so that I can move more easily without messing up my feet/knees. Actually, I like to wear the ballet shoes so I can wear my orthotics, but that's a different story.

Post Thanks / Like

It is true that the choreo will seem slower once you know it, but it would be helpful if your teacher taught it in repetitive blocks, slowed down, so you can really get the hang of it.

This. Why on earth would someone teach a new choreography at top speed?

As for the "heavier person" nonsense- well, it is just that. I've weighed 240 and I've weighed 140 and 100 pounds did not make a difference in my turns or anything else except pressure on my joints. I think to say it does is just an example of "size-ism" and setting people apart.

Post Thanks / Like

The choreography isn't being taught at full speed. I just have trouble with all forms of choreography. Even in my beginner class i have issues. We'll break it down a few times in the choreo rehearsals and move on to the next section. Out of rehersals, we can watch the youtube videos for more practice/slow speed. I think i even saw in a thread on this board that classes should be taught not to the slowest person. Even after we finish a section, she asks if we at least got most of it and welcomes any questions. My teacher is very encouraging and hilarious. She'll say things like, "hear that bum bum. That's the count." Participating has even influenced my beginner classes since we covered mayas in last class just because of this. I would have practiced more this week but I've been too sick. But i have the weekend to keep practicing. Some parts are clicking in my head. Just have to get my body to click with it. I still have till may and we've covered 2/3s of the song which is very encouraging. Every week i feel like i make progress in some fashion. Every week we go over the whole song, again and again.

Honestly i wasn't trying to use the weight thing as an excuse.that made me feel better and explain why i felt like i needed to put more into my turns. For me it just helps me know that i'll need to work harder on that and not to give up.
    Last edited by daimere; 03-23-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What you're experiencing is normal. Give yourself time to learn this choreo. As you said, it's already starting to stick.

Practice the sections you don't know very well on their own. Just play the music and practice it. Run the music in your head and practice it. Imagine yourself dancing it perfectly in your head when you have a shower and as you drift off to sleep.

Never underestimate the power of mentally revising your choreo. It's 90% as effective as physically practicing and not nearly as physically tiring.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast