How do you get better when adding choreography?

daimere

I joined the shimmy mob when I started my classes. The moves go so fast that I can't keep up as a beginner. I think a lot of it might be I'm trying to concentrate so much on what moves go next that I seem to always be 1 to 4 beats behind, especially when the music gets faster. Last week's issues was combining walking/arms + dance movements always wound up lost. I've been practicing my mayas and that seems better as long as I remember to keep up instead of doing a slow maya. During the section we went over tonight, there was a lot of pivots and that's where I tend to get lost the most. When I get lost, I keep my eye on someone and join back in the moment I can. Do I practice the choreography slow until I get it and then start speeding it up? Will listening to the song more help me so then I can feel the music? I really am having fun. The choreo goes super fast which is fun since my basic class goes so slow sometimes. We are 2/3s of the way through the choreography. My teacher says once I get the moves down the song will "slow down." Maybe when I'm at work I can make flash cards on what set of moves come next and just review review review even when I can't dance? There are choreography notes but they just look crazy to me.

Zumarrad

Well, the choreography is a choreography so you can practice it at any pace you want, on your own. For me, the best way to learn how to do a thing is to do it slowly and especially work on where the "bits" go together. You don't need the music, though it helps if it goes in your head. You may need to count the choreography at first, and work on getting the transitions/travelling down before you worry too hard about the arms, making your maya particularly delicious or whatever.

It is true that the choreo will seem slower once you know it, but it would be helpful if your teacher taught it in repetitive blocks, slowed down, so you can really get the hang of it.

If you think flash cards will help, make them.

For me the way to learn a choreo is to do it. Eventually you'll start to notice how the music is telling you what to do, and that will help.

jahbie

I find it sometimes helps to slow the music down until I've learnt the choreography, it's easy to do it in a programme like Audacity, which is a free download.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I'm not a very good choreography person, takes me ages to get it down pat. I find the most productive things are - know the music, play it in the car/MP3 player/stereo etc, visualise blocks of movements while the music is playing ( once you know the music), then get those blocks set in muscle memory & move onto the next section. Don't be afraid to ask your instructor to go over ( slowly) any areas you are finding difficult. Walk through sections when you get home from class as well. Write the choreography notes out in terms that you understand also helps to consolidate, you can hold the notes in your hand while you walk through the steps.

Sometimes when I am watching TV & ads come on I utilise those few minutes to walk through a section as well:D Also be patient with yourself, if you get frustrated/annoyed with yourself it takes longer to "get it" ... I know been there done that!:lol: Those frustratiins/annoyances actually unconsciously create mental blocks, so that you seem to "fail" for ages in those spots. Good luck & you'll be fine in the end - I promise.
~Mosaic

Ariadne

Do I practice the choreography slow until I get it and then start speeding it up? Will listening to the song more help me so then I can feel the music? I really am having fun.
That's good. :)

Yes. Practicing slow then speeding it up to the music will help. Listening to the music will definitely help too. As you listen to the music visualize the movements with each section. Once you can associate the moves with the movements (a properly made choreography will match) even if you have trouble keeping up you will know where you are at all times. I actually bought an mp3 player with A-B playback so I could put parts of a song on loop and just practice one section at a time over and over until I got it.

Jane

For challenging choreography get the feet down first. Knowing where your weight is will help you add the hip movements after. Add in arm movements and other stuff last. You can also sing the choreography in your head to the tune of the melody. I'm also slow at learning choreography ;)

Kashmir

If the choreography is within your experience and capabilities - ie no new technique or unexpected footwork - I'm a fan of repetition. Repeat until your muscles remember and your brain can work on presentation, engagement and stage position.

But if there are new bits you have to learn the new stuff first - otherwise you end up presenting a blurry smear (or worse do it unsafely). With my students we first learn (to a certain level) any new techniques and combinations. We drill these in isolation. I also go over weight transitions. Then I cut the track into bits and work on (say) 30 seconds over and over.

Aniseteph

I actually bought an mp3 player with A-B playback so I could put parts of a song on loop and just practice one section at a time over and over until I got it.

Audacity is very useful for this too.

There is lots of great advice here (LOL - so many choreographically challenged people!).

What has helped me most is working out how I learn, and going with that. Left and right doesn't work so well (at all), but "towards studio door" or "hand that is towards audience" or "back foot" really does. It's all shapes in space. I have to translate my teacher's instructions into my own mental language, because she does not work the same way, but once I can pin it down in my terms it's much easier.

I've got a brain/learning soulmate in class right now - she asks a question along the lines of "is it the front arm or back arm?" and my teacher gets confused, but I know EXACTLY what she means. It's nice to not be alone. :D

ezmasiddiqah

Hi Daimere, did you receive your own copy of the dvd for shimmymob? I'm doing shimmymob as well, and just watched the dvd tonight…they break down the choreo into four sections. It takes me forever to learn a choreography, as opposed to my visual learner dance friend, so having the dvd and dancing outside of class helps me alot.

daimere

I think I figured out a quarter of my issues. Since I'm a larger girl, my pivot turns are much smaller/harder to go around. According to a random turning youtube video, the girl even said, "if you are heavier, it may be harder/not as large." Which I think may be the issue with my pivot turns (I have this issue in hoopdance with a move called 360 turn, too). In the choreography, the pivot has to be big enough that the right hip is forward and my right hip is back. I rewatched the shimmy mob videos again really watched their feet when they turn. She used her left foot to turn it over to the side before starting the spin. It seemed to help. Although I lose balance when I am finishing the turn. But I think it's because I'm trying to move so fast that I lose my balance no matter what.

I've also started listening to the music all the time and I think I got some parts of the music. Like some of the accents where we do passes, promenades, etc. I will definitely look into audacity.

did you receive your own copy of the dvd for shimmymob?
I didn't know there were DVDs. I just have the youtube videos on my shimmy mob account.

I also feel like the moves aren't clear in the video, especially the beginner moves (this is an issue I have for most hooping videos and raqsTV). I can fake a lot of it when I watch my instructor or the nearest person that is advanced but the videos are hard to read. Also the advanced students/instructor is saying that she says do a move but does something different. We've also changed some hand movements to be more dance like. She also adds a weird pop where there is no accent in the music in a few spots. My instructor said to replace her counts from 8 to 4 and 4s to 2s.

Thank you everyone so far for the help!

Last edited:

Darshiva

Also the advanced students/instructor is saying that she says do a move but does something different. We've also changed some hand movements to be more dance like. She also adds a weird pop where there is no accent in the music in a few spots. My instructor said to replace her counts from 8 to 4 and 4s to 2s.

What you have discovered is the fatal flaw in bellydance - no one move (except shimmies - which proves the rule) has one name. Some moves have multiple names and some names have multiple moves. Remember that if you are in doubt, follow the bouncing butt & ignore the move name unless you collect them like I do!

allinorah

I think I figured out a quarter of my issues. Since I'm a larger girl, my pivot turns are much smaller/harder to go around. According to a random turning youtube video, the girl even said, "if you are heavier, it may be harder/not as large." Which I think may be the issue with my pivot turns (I have this issue in hoopdance with a move called 360 turn, too). In the choreography, the pivot has to be big enough that the right hip is forward and my right hip is back. I rewatched the shimmy mob videos again really watched their feet when they turn. She used her left foot to turn it over to the side before starting the spin. It seemed to help. Although I lose balance when I am finishing the turn. But I think it's because I'm trying to move so fast that I lose my balance no matter what.

If you don't mind, and if you can find it, what is the youtube vid that you are referencing? I tried doing a little bit of a search this morning (albeit a quick one and now I'm in a public place without my headphones so I can't look it up now), and I would really like to know what this move is that is harder for heavy figures. There are very few moves that I find to be difficult because of my size (5'2 and a size 18). If it's a paddle turn/pivot turn, then it shouldn't be too different for a different body type. It comes down to practice (which it seems like you are doing). Part of me thinks that if you say something is difficult for a different body type, then those people are going to find it more difficult to do because that seed has already been planted in their head. If I could see the video, maybe I'd be less confrontational, but I really don't like having those little seeds planted.

In regards to getting spins down, do what everyone else has been saying. Start slow and gradually build up your speed. Learn to spot too, it certainly makes it a lot easier!! I had to do one class choreo where there were several spots where we had to do 5 barrel turns in a row and, trust me, there was lots of practice, both slowed down and up to speed.

I wish you the best of luck with this choreo!!!

allinorah

Aright, so that pivot turn is not necessarily "harder" for heavier folks. I've done a lot and have never had a problem. I've done it in time with a lot thinner people as well. *grumble grumble* /rant

Basic pivot turn is kind of like a 4 step that smooths into a 2 step until eventually it's one smooth movement. There's an awkward phase that your feet go through while you're spinning. Also it helps if you have smooth shoes on while you're learning so you don't get too stuck. I made a short video for you, it's a little awkward because I'm not used to doing this. That video really struck a chord with me and made me a bit grumpy, which is sad because because I've heard good things from her. I can show you a video of me performing (I'm still having some "meh" moments about it that'll hopefully pass) that I'm pretty sure have some pivot turns in it.

My quick pivoty turns

Aniseteph

Part of me thinks that if you say something is difficult for a different body type, then those people are going to find it more difficult to do because that seed has already been planted in their head. If I could see the video, maybe I'd be less confrontational, but I really don't like having those little seeds planted.

Absolutely agree, don't take on other people's seeds of doubt.

I don't see why size would matter especially. Having more weight to move/stop will take more muscle power than for a smaller body, but that goes for any movement not just turns. For those pivot turns, IMO other factors such as technique and the floor surface are far more important to the physics of it.

allinorah

Absolutely agree, don't take on other people's seeds of doubt.

I don't see why size would matter especially. Having more weight to move/stop will take more muscle power than for a smaller body, but that goes for any movement not just turns. For those pivot turns, IMO other factors such as technique and the floor surface are far more important to the physics of it.

Exactly! I have a much harder time doing any sort of turn on, say, carpet, than wood. I mostly stick to wearing something slippery on my feet like footundeez or ballet shoes so that I can move more easily without messing up my feet/knees. Actually, I like to wear the ballet shoes so I can wear my orthotics, but that's a different story.

Shanazel

It is true that the choreo will seem slower once you know it, but it would be helpful if your teacher taught it in repetitive blocks, slowed down, so you can really get the hang of it.

This. Why on earth would someone teach a new choreography at top speed? :confused:

As for the "heavier person" nonsense- well, it is just that. I've weighed 240 and I've weighed 140 and 100 pounds did not make a difference in my turns or anything else except pressure on my joints. I think to say it does is just an example of "size-ism" and setting people apart.

daimere

The choreography isn't being taught at full speed. I just have trouble with all forms of choreography. Even in my beginner class i have issues. We'll break it down a few times in the choreo rehearsals and move on to the next section. Out of rehersals, we can watch the youtube videos for more practice/slow speed. I think i even saw in a thread on this board that classes should be taught not to the slowest person. Even after we finish a section, she asks if we at least got most of it and welcomes any questions. My teacher is very encouraging and hilarious. She'll say things like, "hear that bum bum. That's the count." Participating has even influenced my beginner classes since we covered mayas in last class just because of this. I would have practiced more this week but I've been too sick. But i have the weekend to keep practicing. Some parts are clicking in my head. Just have to get my body to click with it. I still have till may and we've covered 2/3s of the song which is very encouraging. Every week i feel like i make progress in some fashion. Every week we go over the whole song, again and again.

Honestly i wasn't trying to use the weight thing as an excuse.that made me feel better and explain why i felt like i needed to put more into my turns. For me it just helps me know that i'll need to work harder on that and not to give up.

Last edited:

Darshiva

What you're experiencing is normal. Give yourself time to learn this choreo. As you said, it's already starting to stick.

Practice the sections you don't know very well on their own. Just play the music and practice it. Run the music in your head and practice it. Imagine yourself dancing it perfectly in your head when you have a shower and as you drift off to sleep.

Never underestimate the power of mentally revising your choreo. It's 90% as effective as physically practicing and not nearly as physically tiring.