The Joy of Gracious Dancers

Darshiva

Any teacher who sets a bitchy example for students to follow in public deserves to lose every student she has. There is little enough excuse for bad manners in the first place but to deliberately teach them as professional demeanor... the mind reels. :rolleyes:

Part of performing is dealing with the stress in an effective manner that does not include taking skin off others who may be equally stressed. It doesn't take much effort to say, "I'm sorry, I'm feeling too pressured to talk right now." If one wishes to be particularly kind one can add, "May we talk later?"

Like anything else one has to practice maintaining grace under pressure; memorizing a few responses in advance can help. Seriously.

For the first: That's why I left. :D

For the second: It's more my tone than anything else that's not so nice. When I'm stressed it really shows in my voice. I usually say "Can it (the talking) wait until after I've performed? I'd love to chat but I'm REALLY NERVOUS RIGHT NOW!" And it's usually follwed up by "Sure, I have some spare pins in my makeup bag, just give me a minute" or "Oh, I saw her over there a minute ago." ;)