Suggestions for a flattering costume?

Amulya

I heard a scary story (I hope it's just an urban legend) of a belly dancer who got a slipped disk from her halter bra!

Shanazel

Given my own experience I wouldn't be surprised. A halter strap puts a lot of pressure on a small area.

Amulya

It could maybe do the same as a hairdressers sink can do: those can cause temporary paralysis sometimes due to pinched nerves. That happened to me once, really freaky because I didn't know what was happening to me and I had to dance that evening. My left arm was completely paralyzed! Lucky it went back to normal in time for the gig.

Elisheva

I heard a scary story (I hope it's just an urban legend) of a belly dancer who got a slipped disk from her halter bra!

Black eyes are the injury I'm most concerned about :)

I can never decide on halternecks. Do they suit big boobs with narrow, sloping shoulders or do they just make everything look even more disproportionate?

Amulya

Good question! I guess combines with a Turkish vest that would fix the problem, especially if it got sleeves, it kind of makes the shoulders look wider.

SeeJaneDance

I have sloping shoulders (not a severe slope, but it's definitely there), that are narrow in comparison to the rest of me, and I like straps that cross my back. Aesthetically I like halters, but they put a lot of stress on my neck. So the crossed straps serve two functions--they sort of provide that diagonal line, which de-emphasizes the line of my shoulders, and, more importantly, they stop the straps from slipping, which regular straps like to do. I also like the softer diagonal, rather than the more severe diagonal that a halter gives, which makes me feel narrower.

Shanazel

Just pretend you are getting into a tight tee shirt. ;) You get used to them and it's worth the effort to save your neck.

Last edited:

Daimona

You get used to them and it's worth the effort to save your neck.

I second this. Use wide straps and make sure you get proper support. If you've got big girls, halterneck is not a good option, but cross-straps should work well. Your neck and upper back are far more important than fashion.

Elisheva

Hello ladies, thank you all for all your helpful comments. The costume is now finished and I must say, I absolutely love it! I took your ideas and suggestions to my lovely seamstress, and it turns out I had completely underestimated her - despite being very slim herself, she has a lot of experience in designing and making costumes for women of all shapes and sizes, so she had a lot of great ideas.

So if you're curious, here is a picture of me in the costume. It is not actually finished in this shot - a little beaded stringing was added to hang down between the cups, and there is a lot more beading and detail on the costume, which makes it look even better. It helps to divide and conquer my boobs and accentuate the split down my hips, preventing that vast expanse of uninterrupted space that worried me so much! I also think the ruched nature of the skirt is good for my short fat legs. The finished costume also has a halter neck with a wider strap - she was very certain that this would work best on me.

I am interested in any constructive comments anyone has about this, and any suggestions for next time (because I really want another one now :D ) The biggest thing I think I learned from this is that the bra cups don't have to fit the same way an actual bra has to. They are plunge cups, but I think getting ones that cover my boobs as much as this perhaps accentuate their size. My seamstress suggested that maybe next time I get smaller cups; they may not give me as much support but they might help to make my boobs look smaller. She pointed out that she cuts off the straps and band of the bra, so it doesn't matter if those don't fit; she needs only the cups themselves.

The difficulty I have with this is that I have a very narrow back, so inevitably the cups have to go a way along the sides of my chest, as that's where my boobs start. Any smaller and I might bulge too much and in the wrong places... Does anyone have any experience of this and advice?

So yes, any comments or suggestions for next time (as I wouldn't want the same style twice) very welcome, and thank you again for all your expertise. And if you don't like the costume, boo to you, I love it :)

1391506_437067693069930_1275833830_n.jpg

Last edited:

SeeJaneDance

Gorgeous! It sounds like you had a wonderful experience!

Regarding the bra, look for a demi-cup bra in your size. You might also be able to use a balconette style bra, depending on the look you're going for. I've also had success cutting away the top edge of a foam cup, when the underwire fit, but the cups were uneven (it was a really cheap bra from Walmart) and rode way too high on my chest. Once I had the interfacing in and the fabric on, you couldn't tell that the original bra hadn't been shaped that way all along.

Darshiva

Your seamstress did an amazing job - that is an incredibly flattering costume.

As for boobage being to 'out there' visually, I've found that adding some texture (rusching, etc) to the fabric works a treat for making the boobs look smaller, as does using a broad back strap. It's weird but more fabric can make them look smaller where less can make them look bigger - because it's the only thing there so it's all obvious. (apologies if I'm incoherent - very ill & no sleep = herpaderpy)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Very nice costume, you look lovely. I'm happy that it all worked out so well for you
~Mosaic

Shanazel

You look absolutely lovely! Hang onto your costumer: she sounds like a keeper to me.

I do disagree that smaller cups will make the girls look smaller. Herpaderpy she may be, but Darshiva is right about this one. The girls will just hang out the sides of the cups, emphasizing their abundance. (Your cup will runneth over, so to speak.)

I find that the line created by the bra and matching skirt material draws the eye down and away from your boobs, a nice touch if you are sensitive about your endowment. I think you look perfectly proportioned, though, with no need to worry about disguising what the goddess gifted you with.