Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: shimmies

Post Thanks / Like

Question shimmies

Hi,

I've only been belly dancing for 4 months and wondered if anyone could give me any tips for shimmies whilst moving, walking, turning, hip circles etc. Does it just require a lot of practice or is there a way to make it easier. I can almost do it whilst going side to side but my hips just wan't to give up and if I start walking It just doesn't seem to work out! Please

Post Thanks / Like

I think the best thing to do when you can't execute a movement is either 1) slow it WAYYYY down or 2) break it down in to pieces, or both.

For layering shimmies with circles, undulations, and figure 8's , I have overcome many obstacles by slowing down the shimmy to a slow bobble of the hips, then execute the other layer very slow. Think about what the desired movement would look like in slow motion, then try for that. Drill it slow every day for some period of time, then you should start to be able to speed it up. It doesn't come over night. 4 months isn't very long to have studied the dance, so be a little patient with yourself.

For walking with shimmies it seems to me that most of the time the dancer is using some variant of a 3/4 shimmy -- or at least that is what its called in the U.S. I'm assuming you are not American because we don't say "whilst" over here...

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that.

I think it's a case of where I'm trying to run before I can walk but I will do as you say and hopefully I will start to get somewhere

Oh, I'm not American I'm English or British I think is the correct way to say it these days and I think "whilst" was just bad grammar. oops

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Siren View Post
    Oh, I'm not American I'm English or British I think is the correct way to say it these days and I think "whilst" was just bad grammar. oops
    Oh, I didn't think it was bad grammar; I think its just one of those little differences between English and American English. Like learnt vs. learned -- both are correct but the latter is the prefered over here.

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Midnight Siren, I agree with Sedonia, give yourself some time to enjoy all aspects of the dance. The stop stars of today have put in a lot of practice and hard work to accomplish some of the amazing moves they do.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Siren View Post
    Hi,

I've only been belly dancing for 4 months and wondered if anyone could give me any tips for shimmies whilst moving, walking, turning, hip circles etc. Does it just require a lot of practice or is there a way to make it easier. I can almost do it whilst going side to side but my hips just wan't to give up and if I start walking It just doesn't seem to work out! Please

Seriously, what they said and if you've only been doing it four months and you can even shimmy you are doing great. Take your time, it'll be worth it

Post Thanks / Like

hi there midnight siren,i am british too,best of luck with your shimmies,
    i start each morning with a shimmy to bring in good energy for the day,just 15 minutes.
    you would be surprised at how quickly you start to improve!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you're having trouble layering a shimmy, your problem may be that you are having trouble transferring your weight while you shimmy. Try standing and shimmying. Once this feels comfortable, try leaning to one side, and then to the other, allowing one leg to bear all of your weight, and then the other. Once moving your weight around while shimmying feels okay, start with a little hip slide.
    Additionally, I agree with Sedonia's comments. Make sure you are completely comfortable with turns and figure 8s before you start trying to layer a shimmy, and when you do - start out slowly.

Post Thanks / Like

Midnight, it wasn't too long ago I was trying the layering myself (specifically shimmying and walking/grapevine)...I think I also was trying to like you say run before I walked...I decided to just work more on my shimmy endurance a bit longer before trying the layering although every once in a while I still try the layering...haven' t worked on that too much lately though. I need to!

Post Thanks / Like

Our class have all been dancing one or two years minimum and we only started trying to layer a shimmy on hipslides, horizontal 8's and hip circles last term. Most of us haven't really got it yet.

(note use of the word "yet", denoting positive expectation of getting there one day.... )

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast