Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: shimmies

Post Thanks / Like

Oh see now I'm having trouble with my 3/4 shimmy...I really need more clarification on it though to make sure I'm doing it right but we're not really doing that in class now so I haven't asked the teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

oh darn i went to find a link and i used the back button but my reply was gone so i have to start over.

3/4 shimmy:
    Cassiopeia's Belly Dance How To - 3/4 Shimmy - Google Video

the website for casseiopiea is Cassiopeia's Home Page. her how to videos are very helpful to me.

when i start classes, i will ask my teacher about the other shimmies. but would it be wrong of me to ask her about them on the first day of class- at the end of class?

Post Thanks / Like

ah yes, i've seen that video in the past, been meaning to look it over again...

Post Thanks / Like

trying to d/l it now...unfortunately i have dial up The instructor only ever really showed us the shimmy one time but the choreography we were learning had it in there, but I believe it was a variation, front, back, front, back.

Post Thanks / Like

so stacy are you in a beginner class or intermediate? i'm just now starting beginners on monday.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in a beginners. I've had about 14 weeks of classes with 3 different instructors...started back in October. I'm excited for you for your new class. It will be so much fun!

Post Thanks / Like

hey stacy. i just completed my 2nd bellydance class. its more challenging than i had expected. moves that i had initially learned in a more relaxed position, with arms down at side, now feel awkward. in class we have arms lifted at shoulder height. for some reason this detail changes the feel of everything. i like it. i like my teacher. she's been dancing for 4.5 years. maybe tommorrow i'll make yoga class.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you like your teacher and your class. Yeah it's funny how those details can make such a big difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that would depend on which shimmy you are doing. If you are performing an egyptian (out of the knees) your are pretty much grounded. If you are doing what I call a rocker shimmy you will be able to move. The easiest shimmy to move with is the choo choo (soon to add this video to my website).

Lets use the rocker shimmy... first you will need to be able to change your weight from one foot to the other and have enough strength to be able to walk and control the shimmy at the same time. You can practice and strengthen the correct muscles by shimmying on one leg then shimmying on the other. Be sure to maintain correct form and an even shimmy. When you feel like you have some control, try moving the unweighted foot a baby step forward, shimmy for a bit, then a baby step with the other foot, shimmy a bit, repeat.

Oh, and be sure to smile!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cassiopeia View Post
    I believe that would depend on which shimmy you are doing. If you are performing an egyptian (out of the knees) your are pretty much grounded. If you are doing what I call a rocker shimmy you will be able to move. The easiest shimmy to move with is the choo choo (soon to add this video to my website).

Lets use the rocker shimmy... first you will need to be able to change your weight from one foot to the other and have enough strength to be able to walk and control the shimmy at the same time. You can practice and strengthen the correct muscles by shimmying on one leg then shimmying on the other. Be sure to maintain correct form and an even shimmy. When you feel like you have some control, try moving the unweighted foot a baby step forward, shimmy for a bit, then a baby step with the other foot, shimmy a bit, repeat.

Oh, and be sure to smile!
    Thanks for all the great videos to learn from! It is nice how you break them down so it is easier to learn...Welcome also!