shimmies

sstacy123

Oh see now I'm having trouble with my 3/4 shimmy...I really need more clarification on it though to make sure I'm doing it right but we're not really doing that in class now so I haven't asked the teacher.

sstacy123

trying to d/l it now...unfortunately i have dial up :( The instructor only ever really showed us the shimmy one time but the choreography we were learning had it in there, but I believe it was a variation, front, back, front, back.

sstacy123

I am in a beginners. I've had about 14 weeks of classes with 3 different instructors...started back in October. I'm excited for you for your new class. It will be so much fun!

charity

hey stacy. i just completed my 2nd bellydance class. its more challenging than i had expected. moves that i had initially learned in a more relaxed position, with arms down at side, now feel awkward. in class we have arms lifted at shoulder height. for some reason this detail changes the feel of everything. i like it. i like my teacher. she's been dancing for 4.5 years. maybe tommorrow i'll make yoga class.

cassiopeia

I believe that would depend on which shimmy you are doing. If you are performing an egyptian (out of the knees) your are pretty much grounded. If you are doing what I call a rocker shimmy you will be able to move. The easiest shimmy to move with is the choo choo (soon to add this video to my website).

Lets use the rocker shimmy... first you will need to be able to change your weight from one foot to the other and have enough strength to be able to walk and control the shimmy at the same time. You can practice and strengthen the correct muscles by shimmying on one leg then shimmying on the other. Be sure to maintain correct form and an even shimmy. When you feel like you have some control, try moving the unweighted foot a baby step forward, shimmy for a bit, then a baby step with the other foot, shimmy a bit, repeat.

Oh, and be sure to smile!

KuteNurse

I believe that would depend on which shimmy you are doing. If you are performing an egyptian (out of the knees) your are pretty much grounded. If you are doing what I call a rocker shimmy you will be able to move. The easiest shimmy to move with is the choo choo (soon to add this video to my website).

Lets use the rocker shimmy... first you will need to be able to change your weight from one foot to the other and have enough strength to be able to walk and control the shimmy at the same time. You can practice and strengthen the correct muscles by shimmying on one leg then shimmying on the other. Be sure to maintain correct form and an even shimmy. When you feel like you have some control, try moving the unweighted foot a baby step forward, shimmy for a bit, then a baby step with the other foot, shimmy a bit, repeat.

Oh, and be sure to smile!

Thanks for all the great videos to learn from! It is nice how you break them down so it is easier to learn...Welcome also!:)

charity

hi cassiopeia, i didnt know if you were the same one as from bellyrolls.com.

glad you're on this forum now.

i'm working my shimmies off your video's. i wish there was a 5 minute shimmy drill. but i play the rocker shimmy clip over and over to get at least 5 minutes of practice. i get confused still with all the different shimmies. i think i try to hard.

and that 7 minute drum solo, is that for beginners? it looks very challenging.

i actually just purchased a mirror today so now hopefully i will have better luck with that choreography of yours that i'm working on.

well i'll spare you the babble. i'm just glad to talk to you because i think you offer a great service to many aspiring bellydancers. plus i've seen clips of your performances and your very good, you make it look relaxed and easy.

cassiopeia

Hello Charity,

Yes, the drum solo drill is for not only beginners but for my more advanced students also. Depending on what level you are, dictates how complicated the moves are.

The drill is to get you used to moving to the sound of the drum, not memorizing the moves. Beginners start with teks (lift) doms (drop), repeat 3 more times alternating sides, add long controlled shimmies occassionally.

I'll work on posting a 5 minute shimmy....

Have a great day,
Cassiopeia

milky

Still having trouble in layering shimmies~~~
It seems that when I add some movement over shimmy, the shimmy stops~~~:(

cassiopeia

Still having trouble in layering shimmies~~~
It seems that when I add some movement over shimmy, the shimmy stops~~~:(

This is a normal complaint. You just need to train your body to shimmy while you are doing anything. First thing is to shimmy at every opportunity. Shimmy while you are washing dishes, waiting for the pot to boil, making copies, talking on the phone, brushing your teeth... I've even 3/4 shimmied my way down the grocery store isles.

Then try moving your hands while shimmying. Move them all around as if you are dancing. When you are able to move your hands, move your shoulders by doing shoulder rolls and slides. Then your chest, working your way down to your hips.

Have a great day,
Cassiopeia

KuteNurse

This is a normal complaint. You just need to train your body to shimmy while you are doing anything. First thing is to shimmy at every opportunity. Shimmy while you are washing dishes, waiting for the pot to boil, making copies, talking on the phone, brushing your teeth... I've even 3/4 shimmied my way down the grocery store isles.

Then try moving your hands while shimmying. Move them all around as if you are dancing. When you are able to move your hands, move your shoulders by doing shoulder rolls and slides. Then your chest, working your way down to your hips.

Have a great day,
Cassiopeia

Thankyou Cassiopeia! I was wondering the same thing myself about my shimmies. You are a great help.

charity

at this point i've decided to abandon the shimmy and not work ahead of my class. instead i'm working now on layered steps such as walking with a camel, or lower undulation, walking with a hinge circle, and then incorporating hands and arms.

i just outlined my new practice schedule last night. perhaps once a week, i will throw in some shimmy practice. i'll have to see how it goes.

milky

Have a great day,
Cassiopeia

Thank u very much,Cassiopeia. I just can't wait to do such practice~~~
But--'I've even 3/4 shimmied my way down the grocery store isles.'... I'll definitely get cold feet when doing so in public~~~

milky

Myshimmies don't always go smoothly.It seems as if there's a balanced point... And ervertime when I find that point, I do shimmies very comfortable...But the problem is...sometime I can't find such point at the start of my shimmies~~~:(

Midnight Siren

Myshimmies don't always go smoothly.It seems as if there's a balanced point... And ervertime when I find that point, I do shimmies very comfortable...But the problem is...sometime I can't find such point at the start of my shimmies~~~:(

I'm having this problem also... I can only do it after practicing shimmies for 5 - 10 mins first. One of my dance instructors told me to practice on the floor though as it teaches your legs how to shimmy. Just bouncing legs simultaniously starting slowly then faster until you are shimmying with your legs. It works well with shoulder shimmies as well as your spine stays straighter.

well, just a thought anyway. Maybe it will help!

:pray:

milky

I'm having this problem also... I can only do it after practicing shimmies for 5 - 10 mins first. One of my dance instructors told me to practice on the floor though as it teaches your legs how to shimmy. Just bouncing legs simultaniously starting slowly then faster until you are shimmying with your legs. It works well with shoulder shimmies as well as your spine stays straighter.

well, just a thought anyway. Maybe it will help!

:pray:

Boucing legs simultaneous? Sounds a little bit strange... But...wanna have a try since it does good to doing shimmy~~~
Thank u for ur advice,Siren.:)