Words of Wisdom for first Live Music Performance?

AspiringDancer

Dancing with a band is my ultimate goal and I've been doing choreographed solos and working with 2 troupes (not to mention ear training for 1 hour every day!) to gain the experience and confidence that I need to dance to live music.

Well, I'm doing it in 2 weeks. I know there are A LOT of dancers out there with a ton of experience dancing with a live band so I was hoping for some tips for a first time. Really, anything from how to simplify the entrance (I tend to move too fast because the music is just screaming MOVE at me) to how to work with the band.

This will be at a hafla, btw. Although I know they don't expect me to be incredible the first time, I DO want to do a good job!

Thanks in advance!

Salome

Administrator
Some general tips off the cuff: know who the band leader is. An experienced musician, who cares to, will watch you for your cues and work with you/your direction. This invisible (to the audience) communication is how you will come to work together creating performance. For example, if you have a slow song and your next piece is an uptempo you can give the band leader a sign when you are ready to pick up the pace and make the transition. For your finale the same and so forth through your set... Eye contact and an imperceptible nod. Acknowledge/interact with the musicians a bit, when your back is to the audience, smile and engage them. You might even be playful and fun as part of your performance in interacting with a band member. A musician may play for a zillion dancers who are really focused on themselves (understandable - not a burn) you will have a better performance if you treat the band as collaborators, which they are. When a musician has his/her turn at taqseem, I may stand near him/her (don't block them, it's their solo too). After you take your bow (don't be hurried) step to the side and acknowledge your musicians, clap and so forth. Let them have a moment also of acknowledgement from the audience.

Don't over anticipate the music, listen to what is happening, when it's happening. It is not going to be exactly the same as your recorded version. The arrangement they play will differ some, and you don't want to just dance over it. Don't zill during your slow section, or over anyone's taqseem, except maybe with the tabla player - if you are a strong zill player. Talk to the band leader about your music before hand, what songs you want played, at what tempo, any taqseems on particular instrument, how you like your drum solo... all of that stuff. If you can't talk to them then write it down and the stage manager can surely pass it on before the show. If it were me, I would tell the band leader something like; I want a short nye (or fill in the instrument here) taqseem (a minute or so to get to center stage), followed by a medium tempo Aziza, into a short chiftitelli with multi instrument taqseems, progess into a drum solo, and exit tag band choice.

Live music is THE ingredient, use that energy and magic filling up the room to stretch out and make it happen!!! I LIVE FOR LIVE MUSIC!

Dunyah

What Salome said. Practice improvising your dance, to other versions of the song you will be dancing to, or to a CD of the band that will be playing. Have a mental image or an intention in words about what you want for this performance, e.g. I want to express my love and joy of dancing. Fill your mind with that before the show. Think of 3 or 4 specific moves that you want to incorporate in your dance and have those in your mind just before going on, as well. Remember that the musicians are people and acknowledge them. Most of all, have fun! If you are enjoying yourself, it will show and others will enjoy it too.

If you can dance improv you can dance to live music.

Shanazel

No matter what happens during the performance, remember that it's the recovery that matters and not the fall. :cool:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
It is not going to be exactly the same as your recorded version. The arrangement they play will differ some...
This is especially important to be cognizant of if this is your first time with live music. Even if you've been practicing to a recording of the same song by the same band, it WILL be different. Different tempo, different accents, possibly different instrument mix, and maybe even played in a different key!

AspiringDancer

Thanks again for the sound advice. My first live band experience was last weekend and I think it went pretty well. I'm going to have to see the video first but it felt good! : )