Boston Marathon

Shanazel

The following was posted by a friend on the biker forum I belong to:

After tragedies like Monday's Boston Marathon bombing, it's sometimes tempting
to believe our species is awash with hatred. So actor and comedian Patton
Oswalt's response to the disaster, which offers a reminder of humanity's
inherent goodness, couldn't be more timely. "You watch the videos of the carnage
and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out," he wrote in a
post on his Facebook page shared more than 130,000 times. "So when you spot
violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny,
hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, 'The good outnumber you,
and we always will.'"

Read the full text of his post:

Boston.
F---ing horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was,
"Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's
going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a
poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's
one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction
of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the
videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to
help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing
this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there
are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of
them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets
snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority
stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they
dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly,
the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not
be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long
ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or
just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and
think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

Sophia Maria

This hits way too close to home, because it is physically close to my home, and because I am very far away from home right now. I hate that it happened, and I hate even more that there are countries where people live with this s*** every day.

But that man is right...I saw the live footage, and immediately after the blasts people sprung into action to help whomever they could.

My prayers are with Boston, and every other place that has to deal with this.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
A sad day indeed, my heart goes out to all those involved, those who have sustained terrible injuries & to the families who lost their loved ones. Thanks for that article Shan - that is so, so true & the true spirit of humanity continues to live & thrive. I think we all need to remember that the good, the caring & nurturing ones will always outweigh the dark ones & it is that goodness that pushes back the darkness.
~Mosaic

Shanazel

The main reason I signed up for the sheriff office's Victim Services Academy was to learn what I need to know in order to run toward people in trouble instead of freezing like a bunny caught in the headlights.

Helplessness is an awful feeling.

Ariadne

Good for you Shanazel. When I was younger I trained in first aid and stuff for the same reason but it's been far to long. I loved reading that there was no problems with care at the hospitals because Dr's came streaming in to help. It's moments like this when you see both the best and worst of humanity. I think this time the best far out weighed the worst, and that gives me hope.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Its all over our news - sounds like they got the 2nd fellow. Also sounds like to me he was probably in a very bad way inside that boat or already dead. One does have to feel compassion for the father & Uncle, such a horrific thing for them to have to live with. The 2nd brother is so young, - I couldn't help but note, same age as my son, and to me he is still a boy. I just cannot imagine what possessed them. Why, why, why - must be a question everyone including the father & uncle must be asking themselves. Don't these nut jobs ever stop to think of the hurt & damage they heap upon their families even if they don't care about the strangers they hurt, maim & kill, unbelievable! Such sadness & pain all around <sigh>
~Mosaic
PS: Just heard on the news they have got the 2nd bomber & he is still alive! Boston can (hopefully) breathe easier now.

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

My prayers are with the injured victims, and their families, and the families of those who lost loved ones as well as the family of the two boys. However, I still hate how the media handles tragedies like this. Even if they DID do it, the media should stop trying to be judge and jury before due process. One commentator even called the father a nut job! >:/ The media's job is SUPPOSED to be to report the news, not pass judgement.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Why did the media say the father was a nut job?

I agree the media everywhere need to stop passing judgement on things & report in an unbiased truthful manner. Too many let emotions & sensationalism rule their reporting.
~Mosaic

Farasha Hanem

Because the father doesn't believe his sons did it. I don't know if they are guilty or no, but the father was reacting like any parent would (who knows, he might have very valid reasons for believing his sons are not guilty). And for this the commentator called him a "nut job." >:/

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I heard about this while on vacation but couldn't get much information it. I was very concrende for a friend of mine who I knew went to run in it this year. I was glad to hear today that she wasn't close to where the explosions happened at the time. She is pretty shaken up about it though. I'm sad to hear that this happened at all and just have to shake my head over the stupidity of it all.

seona

Sunil Tripathi was wrongly identified as a suspect, and a body has been found and the police think it is very possible that it is Sunil. I read he has been missing from his family home since March, he suffered from depression.

Sunil Tripathi: The other victim of Boston?s bombs - Americas - World - The Independent
I've had to not read the news for a bit, too much speculation and all this 'internet detective' work has left me with a bad feeling.

BBC News - Body of student falsely accused of Boston attacks possibly found

http://theaerogram.com/how-the-internet-failed-the-unfortunate-case-of-sunil-tripathi/

Last edited:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I never even heard of him, I only know of the two brother identified by the police through the media. From the first article is sounds like people through social media were responsible for wrongly identifying him. I do hope the family is able to find their loved one soon though.

seona

I never even heard of him, I only know of the two brother identified by the police through the media. From the first article is sounds like people through social media were responsible for wrongly identifying him. I do hope the family is able to find their loved one soon though.

Yes it was social media, the website reddit, I think they have now apologised. A body has now been found floating in the river, the police have told the Boston Globe that it is very possible that the body is Sunil. I hope it isn't as it just adds to the sadness of it all.