Where to study flamenco in Spain?

iPi bellydance

I'd like to make a 3 month trip to Spain during Autumn or Winter 2013. I will come with my wife and 2 year old daughter. Main purpose is for my wife to study flamenco. We'd also like to study Spanish and make short excursions. Now I'm researching which cities would make the best home base for us. I'm assuming Andalusia is good and perhaps Granada. I'm also trying to find the best dance teacher for our situation.

I'd love to hear pro's and con's for different places or suggestions. Thanks everybody!

It really depends what style of dancing you want to do, and what standard you are. Some people will tell you to go to Amor de Dios in Madrid - but it teaches modern flamenco which (for my taste) is too balletic. I prefer the earthy "gitana" style and for that you have to go to Jerez, Granada or Seville.

I know several people who have been to Carmen de las Cuevas' school in Granada and adored it.
Escuela de Flamenco y Español para Extranjeros en Granada | Carmen de las Cuevas

There is a school in Seville called Taller Flamenco. It's been around for a long time but I don't know anyone who's tried it. Taller Flamenco. Cursos de Flamenco y Español en Sevilla

For me, Jerez is the heart and soul of flamenco but good luck finding a way to arrange classes reliably. I know a couple of people who just rocked up, asked around and found some great teachers but if you're just on a vacation, you probably don't have time to take pot luck. I'd say Granada is your best bet and it's a beautiful place, too.

iPi bellydance

It really depends what style of dancing you want to do, and what standard you are. Some people will tell you to go to Amor de Dios in Madrid - but it teaches modern flamenco which (for my taste) is too balletic. I prefer the earthy "gitana" style and for that you have to go to Jerez, Granada or Seville.

For me, Jerez is the heart and soul of flamenco but good luck finding a way to arrange classes reliably. I know a couple of people who just rocked up, asked around and found some great teachers but if you're just on a vacation, you probably don't have time to take pot luck. I'd say Granada is your best bet and it's a beautiful place, too.

Bellydance Oz: Thanks for the response. Ill check out the schools. I wonder if you could share the contacts of your friends who went to Granada and Jerez. I would like to ask more about their experience and about teachers.