Spinning into Belly Dance

Mad_Hatter

I consider myself a performance artist and one of my mediums of choice is the flow art called double staffs. So far in my experience is that double staffing happens in the shoulders and arms, and I think belly dancing could really help me along but I have no idea where to get started. I know the best advice is to find a local teacher but besides trying to find one that takes on male students I have no idea what to look for. At first I was thinking American Tribal because I read that it was "belly dance as it might have been" which sound like it would be a good fit but then I read that it was all about learning cues for group dance and I'm primarily a solo performer. So I just don't know.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum. As for style of dance to begin with go with the traditional ( also more suited to solo performance in my opinion). Tribal style has its roots in the traditional styles, it is afterall an offshoot. Later when you have the basics under your "hat" you could easily look at fusion styles to add something different to your performance. Finding a teacher is another thing. Where do you live? If we know that, dancers from your country on the forum may be able to point you in the right direction:D
~Mosaic

Mad_Hatter

I live in central North Carolina, USA. I've found a likely candidate for studio and have sent them emails so now I'm waiting to hear back.