Any good combo DVDs you'd recommend...?

UrbanSonge

Anyone know of some good DVDs they'd recommend especially for learning combinations? I'm still looking for a bellydance class but until then would love to know which ones you'd recommend and like alot.

:dance:

Dunyah

I second Cheeky Girls. Just keep in mind that when you plug a combination into your own dance, you will most likely want to tweak it to fit the music. Most of the time you can't just "plug and play," you will tailor the steps to fit your body, your dance style, your costume and most importantly, your music. But it's a good learning tool, for sure. The best combos are the ones created for a specific music by your teacher, but in the meanwhile, DVDs are useful, I suppose. There is no substitute for a real live teacher if you want to advance in your dance ability. (Or a skype teacher, too.)

Greek Bonfire

Jillina's videos always gave me good ideas to use for combos, same for Rania and the Cheeky Girls DVDs. Also, Keti Sharif has a complete A-Z video set for many, many combinations that inspired me. If you are looking for drum solo combos, Jenna has a terrific one called "Heartbeat of the Drum" and teaches in beginner, intermediate and advanced styles.

UrbanSonge

Maybe take a look through our sticky thread for suggestions http://bellydanceforums.net/instructors-students/14593-instructional-dvds.html

I also remember that Cheeky Girls DVDs had a couple of DVDs called Combination Nation. Cheeky Girls DVDs are always good value, content and cost wise.
~Mosaic

oh ok thanks...i'll go check that out on youtube :)

I second Cheeky Girls. Just keep in mind that when you plug a combination into your own dance, you will most likely want to tweak it to fit the music. Most of the time you can't just "plug and play," you will tailor the steps to fit your body, your dance style, your costume and most importantly, your music. But it's a good learning tool, for sure. The best combos are the ones created for a specific music by your teacher, but in the meanwhile, DVDs are useful, I suppose. There is no substitute for a real live teacher if you want to advance in your dance ability. (Or a skype teacher, too.)

LOL. A good dvd/teacher should have you be inspired ALL the time, even after each class ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Darshiva

LOL. A good dvd/teacher should have you be inspired ALL the time, even after each class ;)

I'd disagree. People change and as they do what inspires them changes. A good dvd has clarity or movement and instruction, is easy to follow and allows for growth along with the viewer. Some of my favourite dvds from as little as a year ago are no longer my favourites as my tastes have changed in that time and my dance has changed direction - however subtly.

This isn't to say that there is anything wrong with the dvds I'd been using, just that my needs as a dancer have changed and my favourites have changed to reflect that.

Poor DVDs make good drinking games though - so there is value in every DVD. ;)

UrbanSonge

I'd disagree. People change and as they do what inspires them changes. A good dvd has clarity or movement and instruction, is easy to follow and allows for growth along with the viewer. Some of my favourite dvds from as little as a year ago are no longer my favourites as my tastes have changed in that time and my dance has changed direction - however subtly.

This isn't to say that there is anything wrong with the dvds I'd been using, just that my needs as a dancer have changed and my favourites have changed to reflect that.

Poor DVDs make good drinking games though - so there is value in every DVD. ;)

lol of course there's personal growth. i was talking about each teacher ;)

Darshiva

Oh no, the same does apply to teachers. Otherwise, why would we ever bother with workshops, etc?

No one teacher is the be-all and end-all of everything. A good teacher knows this. A bad teacher will do his or her damnedest to prevent their students from ever finding this out.

UrbanSonge

Oh no, the same does apply to teachers. Otherwise, why would we ever bother with workshops, etc?

No one teacher is the be-all and end-all of everything. A good teacher knows this. A bad teacher will do his or her damnedest to prevent their students from ever finding this out.

glad to hear you like dancing :)