Limit on number of PM's?

shiradotnet

Has a new limit been implemented on number of PM's a person can have stored? I've received a notification telling me that someone's attempt to send me a PM was rejected due to my box being full.

This led me to delete a whole bunch of PM's (both ones I've sent and one's I've received), but it doesn't seem to have helped. When I try to PM someone else (after having deleted over 20 messages), I'm told I can't do it because my mailbox is full.

I currently have about 23 PM's in my "sent" box and 22 in my "in" box, or maybe it's vice versa. What's the current upper limit?

My apologies if this was announced somewhere and I missed it. My participation here has been sporadic recently due to a death in the family.

Farasha Hanem

I have to admit, that's very disappointing since it wasn't so long ago that we were recently allowed to have 100 messages. Even the previous limit was 50, more than we have now. It's really disappointing to go from being allowed to have 100 messages to now only having 20. :(

Hugs to you and your family, Shira.

Last edited:

Duvet

I've been having the same problem! I don't use private messaging very frequently, and I was left wondering what I had done wrong.

I don't think the decrease in message quota has been adequately announced so that we can all adjust our in/outbox storage. The thread title that includes this information does not alert me to the fact that a change in my current use of the forum has occurred, and I think many people (like me) might pass over the post as not relevant to them, or not read it fully. I'm not against the changes, but I feel that the curtailment needs to be declared a bit clearer.

I now have the problem that although I have deleted my messages so that I can now send new ones, I can not message people because their own message quota has exceeded. I cannot tell them because my messages are bounced back, and, like me, they are probably unaware that a change has occurred and that they have to delete their messages to receive new ones. I can only hope they notice this thread!

Could something be done to notify everyone about this change - perhaps a private message to all forum members? (although, if our message quota has exceeded, we wouldn't get it :rolleyes:!)

Last edited:

shiradotnet

Many thanks to all who have responded so far. I did indeed miss the announcement of this - like I say, my access to this forum has been sporadic lately.

Anyway, I have another question. I apologize if this has already been answered elsewhere. Does the 20-message limit apply to the inbox only, or is it a combined limit that applies to both the "in box" and the "sent" box? Ie, can you can 20 messages in the "in" box and 20 in the "sent" box, or is it 20 spread over the two?

Salome, I support your need to generate more revenue from the forum, and I totally understand the need to incent paying memberships, so I'm not taking issue with this change. Just trying to understand the details. Thanks so much for being patient with my questions! :)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Shira, I think it is 20 for inbox & 20 for out box, I am not 100% sure, so hopefully Salome or Arun our webmaster will clarify that for me.
~Mosaic

arun

Administrator
It is 20 for all which includes inbox as well as sent items. So, i would advise you to empty the sent item folders. Already, i have made a suggestion to Salome to increase the limit to 30 or 50.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
ѕнα∂у fσя ℓιfє;224191 said:
It is 20 for all which includes inbox as well as sent items. So, i would advise you to empty the sent item folders. Already, i have made a suggestion to Salome to increase the limit to 30 or 50.

Thanks for letting me know, I wasn't sure on the limit.

Just to let everyone know, our webmaster changed his user name, Arun is now Shady For Life:D
~Mosaic

khanjar

I've been having the same problem! I don't use private messaging very frequently, and I was left wondering what I had done wrong.

I don't think the decrease in message quota has been adequately announced so that we can all adjust our in/outbox storage. The thread title that includes this information does not alert me to the fact that a change in my current use of the forum has occurred, and I think many people (like me) might pass over the post as not relevant to them, or not read it fully. I'm not against the changes, but I feel that the curtailment needs to be declared a bit clearer.

I now have the problem that although I have deleted my messages so that I can now send new ones, I can not message people because their own message quota has exceeded. I cannot tell them because my messages are bounced back, and, like me, they are probably unaware that a change has occurred and that they have to delete their messages to receive new ones. I can only hope they notice this thread!

Could something be done to notify everyone about this change - perhaps a private message to all forum members? (although, if our message quota has exceeded, we wouldn't get it :rolleyes:!)

I am in that same situation having had to delete everything as despite deleting some to make room I was forced to delete everything as my deletions had made no difference. And so a poor memory I have people who I had chosen to remember via pm are now gone.

Ariadne

You can download old PM's, that's what I did. The option is at the bottom of the page:

"Download all Private Messages as:
XML | CSV | Text"​