Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Your story is not atypical, for sure. Belly Dance is very often a life changing activity.

I myself started BD as a "midlife crisis thing", and it has certainly changed my life. My wife followed me into it 18 months later, and she has just "blossomed" as a result!

Congratulations!
    If this is what a midlife crisis is, then I have not experienced the crisis part for what I have found so far of the naughty forties, myself being 44 is that this is a re run at being a teenager again, a teenager with a bit of common sense and maturity. As to te belly dance, what people report this dance does to a practitioner, it did affect me in ways that forced me to research questions that had always bothered me to find out something which freed me from myself for that stuff I had always viciously oppressed within myself through misunderstanding was actually okay and now it being mostly allowed although I do still have to work on allowing it I am finding balance at last and starting to live, not just torturously exist.

I was married once to a woman twelve years my senior, I got married at age 32 and as to the age gap, I found it was not a problem until grand children came along and I tried, I really tried and I was good at it doing the grand father stuff with two step grand son's as father was not around much, but I was simply not ready to settle down to do the grand parent thing, that being my wife did and every spare moment was with the grand children which meant that was my life too and I still wanted to do stuff before doing that for that was when the age difference became apparent.

Anyway as said, am 44 and am six years away from fifty, so not at midlife yet so I am yet to experience the crisis and I do not look my age at all where even yesterday I got hit on by a young woman who thought I was much younger and was shocked when she found I was in fact twenty years older than she believed I looked, where she made a sharp exit which caused me to laugh as I am used to this and it is quite heart warming I still have my looks that attract. For what hits mid age males has not yet hit me and five years of belly dance where I practice daily has created a light fluid gait in normal movement where I do feel light on my feet despite the wearing of high leg combat boots most of the time where I can out perform many younger than myself in terms of physical fitness except lifting weights that is where I always sucked, but I am starting to like my appearance and be comfortable with my physique and this I owe completely to belly dance for I believe it has taught me to be human at a human's best.

(ex wife had three teenage children from a previous marriage and what attracted me to her was a combination of maturity and a young mind, her physique which was at that time borderline obese was not an issue)
    Last edited by khanjar; 05-19-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Mid-life crisis? What's that? o.O I'm 52, and haven't experienced that OR my "second childhood"---I never got out of my FIRST childhood! >.>

Post Thanks / Like

I came out of belly dance retirement for the third time at 48 (I retired at 26, 34, and 42) to teach classes at the local rec center. Been teaching for the last ten years and guess I'll keep it up until my students fire me or I drop dead in class.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    ... or I drop dead in class.
    I plan on going out on the dance floor at age 92...

They can have my veils when the pry them from my stiff, dead, cold, fingers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prince ali baba View Post
    Kinda glad I've never been married myself.
    I *LOVE* being married, personally. Wouldn't trade my gal for the moon. Where else would I get this much free entertainment?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I plan on going out on the dance floor at age 92...

They can have my veils when the pry them from my stiff, dead, cold, fingers!

I think MY veils are plotting to murder me! >.> :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    I think MY veils are plotting to murder me! >.> :p
    You need my veil workshop: "When Good Veils Go Bad, Overcoming Veil-Phobia"!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12