midlife crisis and bellydance

BlueDogDem31

Hi ladies, I am just curious of what new things you have tried as part of your midlife crisis? For me I am 46 years old and a divorced mother of 2 daughters who are 12 and 15 who are both active in athletics and girl scouts. I work as a high school social studies teacher. One day last year I noticed an advertisement while working at a daycare at the local YMCA that advertised belly dance lessons. I thought "wow this sounds interesting" and so I went. I thought that this class would be full of ladies in their 20s and 30s and discovered that it was a mix of women ages 16 to 60 with most in their forties. I struggled the first day to keep up but the instructor was great and helped troubleshoot where I was going wrong. I learned and eventually became confident enough to be in recital. My daughters were wondering what I was doing when I was practicing bellydance in a costume. They said, "Mom, what are you doing?" I explained and they think it is a really cool thing which my oldest has since taken up. I currently still dance and have graduated to the advanced class. I have found that bellydancing has brought out my sensual self that is more self confident at 46 than 26. When I was 26 I would be too afraid to show bra straps but now can run outside in a sports bra and wear a bikini to the pool. It seems like wearing a bellydancing costume has allowed me to gain confidence. Due to that I was able to gain the confidence about my appearance and self to meet a dashing younger man who is now my fiance. :D He is 28 by the way and has gained the thumbs up from my daughters. He is a first year school teacher and we met at the beginning of the school year when he needed help operating the copier and I showed him how it works. I knew something was good when we both smiled at each other. The next time we saw each other was later that week and we talked about books we like. We both like Dan Brown and so he asked me if we wanted to talk some more. So I we exchanged phone numbers and emails. Eventually we went out to dinner on a Friday night and then watched a movie. I then talked of how I did bellydancing and he LOVED that and asked me to be his love. He proposed to me over a candlelight on New Years Eve and we will be married in July of 2014. He is wonderful for he has also helped my daughters with their homework and also plays boardgames with us and watches movies. My daughters were a little weirded out by my fiance being so younger but have come to really enjoy him as we play boardgames and like to go to sports games. They love the happiness that has come over my face since bellydancing and meeting him. It seems to me that I found the fountain of youth with my man as he has made me feel younger. What I love about a younger man is that in addition to his GREAT! appearance and features :D he is positive and sees the glass as half full. To celebrate the engagement I got my first tattoo on my back of a phoenix for reinvention and have gotten my belly button pierced after my daughters dared me too :D. How else to stay current with the times but to embrace change and not fear it! Before I met him and before bellydancing, I was solving the stress from my divorce in many ways as I had taken up smoking and eating junk food. I have since quit both of those things and have forgotten about the jerk that my first husband was. Does anyone else have a similar experiences with trying a new activity like bellydance during your midlife crisis and allowing that hobby to meet a younger man

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Congratulations on your engagement and it is wonderful to hear how BD has kickstarted your life in many ways. It's nice that one of your daughters has also began BD classes, the joy of dance you can both share:D

As for your fiance being younger/older (younger in your case), I don't think that matters in the scheme of things, just that you are both happy, so go for it:D
~Mosaic

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Your story is not atypical, for sure. Belly Dance is very often a life changing activity.

I myself started BD as a "midlife crisis thing", and it has certainly changed my life. My wife followed me into it 18 months later, and she has just "blossomed" as a result!

Congratulations! :clap:

Farasha Hanem

I started out with instructional DVD's at 42, and finally found a class at 46, but mine was more of a "I finally get to do what I've wanted to do since I was a little girl" thing, without a loving-but-strict grandfather saying, "Baptists don't dance." >.>

Congrats, and welcome to the best addiction ever! :dance:

@Zorba Whoa, wait...Zorba, you're not middle-aged, you're just a YOUNG thing! o_O;;;;

Last edited:

Marissa-Julia

Even though I'm not middle-aged yet, I still find your story very inspiring :) Belly dance sure is a life changing thing, definitely for the better. Welcome to the forums :dance:

prince ali baba

Your story is not atypical, for sure. Belly Dance is very often a life changing activity.

I myself started BD as a "midlife crisis thing", and it has certainly changed my life. My wife followed me into it 18 months later, and she has just "blossomed" as a result!

Hey Zorba! You say you started belly dancing as a "midlife crisis thing." Isn't a midlife crisis something negative? I know belly dancing isn't anything bad,but is foreign to some people,but just curious about referring to belly dance as a "midlife crisis thing?"

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I never considered a midlife crisis to be negative, just part of life. Its all in how you react to it. Some men dump their wife, hook up with a blonde bombshell and buy a sports car. That's negative. I, OTOH, became a Belly Dancer...

prince ali baba

Glad I've Never Been Married

I never considered a midlife crisis to be negative, just part of life. Its all in how you react to it. Some men dump their wife, hook up with a blonde bombshell and buy a sports car. That's negative. I, OTOH, became a Belly Dancer...
Kinda glad I've never been married myself. Belly dancing OTOH can be fun.

khanjar

If this is what a midlife crisis is, then I have not experienced the crisis part for what I have found so far of the naughty forties, myself being 44 is that this is a re run at being a teenager again, a teenager with a bit of common sense and maturity. As to te belly dance, what people report this dance does to a practitioner, it did affect me in ways that forced me to research questions that had always bothered me to find out something which freed me from myself for that stuff I had always viciously oppressed within myself through misunderstanding was actually okay and now it being mostly allowed although I do still have to work on allowing it I am finding balance at last and starting to live, not just torturously exist.

I was married once to a woman twelve years my senior, I got married at age 32 and as to the age gap, I found it was not a problem until grand children came along and I tried, I really tried and I was good at it doing the grand father stuff with two step grand son's as father was not around much, but I was simply not ready to settle down to do the grand parent thing, that being my wife did and every spare moment was with the grand children which meant that was my life too and I still wanted to do stuff before doing that for that was when the age difference became apparent.

Anyway as said, am 44 and am six years away from fifty, so not at midlife yet so I am yet to experience the crisis and I do not look my age at all where even yesterday I got hit on by a young woman who thought I was much younger and was shocked when she found I was in fact twenty years older than she believed I looked, where she made a sharp exit which caused me to laugh as I am used to this and it is quite heart warming I still have my looks that attract. For what hits mid age males has not yet hit me and five years of belly dance where I practice daily has created a light fluid gait in normal movement where I do feel light on my feet despite the wearing of high leg combat boots most of the time where I can out perform many younger than myself in terms of physical fitness except lifting weights that is where I always sucked, but I am starting to like my appearance and be comfortable with my physique and this I owe completely to belly dance for I believe it has taught me to be human at a human's best.

(ex wife had three teenage children from a previous marriage and what attracted me to her was a combination of maturity and a young mind, her physique which was at that time borderline obese was not an issue)

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

Mid-life crisis? What's that? o_O I'm 52, and haven't experienced that OR my "second childhood"---I never got out of my FIRST childhood! >.>

:lol:

Shanazel

I came out of belly dance retirement for the third time at 48 (I retired at 26, 34, and 42) to teach classes at the local rec center. Been teaching for the last ten years and guess I'll keep it up until my students fire me or I drop dead in class.