Achilles Tendon problems ?

khanjar

It just came on me, a result of walking not dancing and it's been a over a year now and I still have the problem which is a heel area that aches a lot and causes tiredness.

I exercise the area and do strengthening exercises, belly dance training does that where I do slow controlled resistance training and the surrounding musculature is sound, but the ankles still ache no matter what I do where I have found the condition is worse with less exercise but with more they begin to ache so there is a level where comfort mostly is.

Anyone get this and any ideas ?

BigJim

A possible cause might be that over the years your achilles tendon has tightened up to the point that it amost inflexible.This could happen as you might be thinking that you are stretching it out but really haven't been. The bottom attachment of the tendon is right under the heel.... think of an elastic band that instead of stretching you are actually twisting it around and around until there is no elasticity left....

As Zumaard stated it might be in your best interest to check with a professional trainer or a massage therapist... they can give you some better insight on this and maybe some easy solutions... if you neglect it you could end up with a screwed up achilles and if that's the case your talking big trouble...Good Luck

shiradotnet

Try going for a walk every night along a route that involves some hilly terrain. Wear flat-soled shoes, and try to keep your heels on teh ground as you walk up the hills.

Walking up hills gives your calves and Achilles tendons a gentle workout and can help a lot with flexibility in the back of the lower leg.

Munniko

I definitely agree with Shira on this one. I have no idea what I've done to mine but they've always been really short and have to work five minutes to maybe be able to touch my toes without bending my knees. The only way I can fully shimmy is in high heels.

I would also recommend just hanging over like you are trying to touch your toes and just hang out there for awhile. Do it every day and they get a little better, but you gotta be consistent because I noticed after I stopped for a bit my hard work disappeared.

BeatriceC

I would also recommend just hanging over like you are trying to touch your toes and just hang out there for awhile. Do it every day and they get a little better, but you gotta be consistent because I noticed after I stopped for a bit my hard work disappeared.
This is a REALLY controversial exercise, and I would heartily DISrecommend it.

It puts horrible strains on your sacral area, and given that your leg muscles have to be tensed in order to hold your entire body up, it doesn't actually stretch the calf muscles, so it's both ineffective and damaging.
Try any of these stretches instead: The 5 Most Effective Calf Stretches / Fitness / Stretching

Munniko

The weirdest thing is it hurts a little bit to much to do that stretch, but as we all know what works for some does not work for all.

BeatriceC

We're not saying "this may not work for you". We're saying that exercise (I'm not going to call it a stretch) DOESN'T work. It CAN'T work, not as a calf stretch.

Munniko

I guess then I'm not truly stretching my calf and I'm just helping something else because this is what several physical therapists have told me to do. It has helped lengthen the muscles in my legs and has slightly eased issues I have. If I'm working a different muscle I would like to know so I can find more things to do to help it.

khanjar

Thanks for all the useful input so far, but a further question, can tight or short hamstrings cause achilles tendon issues ?

LilithNoor

Where are you feeling the pain, Khanjar? Only heel pain makes me think of plantar fascitis (mainly because I have it at present)

I have to wear very supportive, comfortable shoes with a slight heel to help cushion the area. I stretch it every day, and use a spiky massage ball on it in the evenings.

khanjar

Where are you feeling the pain, Khanjar? Only heel pain makes me think of plantar fascitis (mainly because I have it at present)

I have to wear very supportive, comfortable shoes with a slight heel to help cushion the area. I stretch it every day, and use a spiky massage ball on it in the evenings.

Dull ache now and again and the sides of the achilles tendon in both feet which is stiff to start with but always eases up with movement. It came on suddenly, I was out walking on the moors and the next day calf muscles were in painful spasm and then the achilles stuff thereafter. Reported to the GP who gave me exercises to do which I did, but it didn't get better and am so stuck with it now eighteenth months later.

Am wondering though about hamstring because I have always had problems with that despite incessant stretching and exercising, where currently Pilates, lying on my back, I cannot raise my leg further than 45 degrees and I know the issue is irritating the lower back leading to sciatica which causes compensation in movement which could be irritating the achilles tendon.

LilithNoor

So on the sides of the foot rather than the bottom of the foot.

Does sound like keeping up the stretches for the achilles and the hamstrings both would be beneficial. And regular massage of the area.

Maybe seeing a physio would help you target what is wrong.

BigJim

Yes..... It does sound like you have tightness in your hamstrings which could lead to tightness in your calves which leads to problems with your achilles....

You are probably thinking "how can this be... I'm stretching... I'm faithfully doing my exercises... I'm doing Pilates"

News Flash... If you can only raise your leg to 45 degrees after doing your stretching for 18 months then your stretching program at present is not doing the job....

Maybe the exercises you are doing are right but you are doing them improperly...

For example... to stretch out my calves I used to stand on a step with my heels over hanging ... dropping the heels down to get the stretch... and I would really feel the stretch and think that I was doing something great.But my problem is I'm far to heavy to do this exercise... the stress I put on my Achilles doing this is greatly overloaded compared to the "regular sized people" who can benefit from this... Instead of getting a stretch like I thought I was doing I was actually tearing them up... But I didn't know until my massage therapist clued me in...

I don't think it would hurt to advise you to see a sports therapist or professional massage therapist to get your hamstrings and calves checked for tightness... if they are solid like a board the massage will unlock them... they can also re-evaluate your stretching program ... check your technique on the stretch to make sure you are doing it right..

Think of it another way... every soccer club in England has a massage therapist working with them... they don't send their players to a GP for a list of exercises to do....

Good Luck with this... Jim