Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Charging people to practice with you? Hmmmm

Came across this strange ad in my local classifieds.

"Hi, I'm ******, I want to share what I learnt and practice so I won't forget. I offer classes only $5.00. Good quality and good for both my students and me. My teacher has a (***** background and had had classes with ******) I am an intermediate student. If you want to have fun, learn and why not be a apart of a troup for further presentations. Join me. I don't do it for the money, but for the fun and practice."

I have removed some info to protect their privacy.

I can't help feeling this is wrong. If not in it for the money then why charge at all? If you charge for a lesson then does that bring up insurance issues? I wonder if their teacher knows about it, would she care? It seems a strange thing to do, to charge someone to practice with you...

Any opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely dodgy. She's essentially advertising herself as a teacher, whilst trying to pretend that that's not what she's doing. And indeed, presumably undercutting (not sure what $5 comes to in £ but I'm pretty sure it'd be less than £5, which would already be cheap here), probably justifying it to herself by thinking she shouldn't charge more because she's not a proper teacher. When in fact, she shouldn't be teaching at all if she's not a proper teacher.

If she wants other dancers of her own level to practise with, she should be asking for that, not for students. And she shouldn't be charging them (though splitting a room hire fee is fair enough). It would make a lot more sense for her to ask the other students in her class if they want to meet up outside of class to practise than to place a classified ad.

I imagine that this person's teacher would not be thrilled if she knew about this!

ETA: And yes, if she's charging people for a class, surely all the usual stuff about insurance, health & safety etc would apply, the same as for any class....
    Last edited by Roshanna; 05-22-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What it reads to me is - I will give you exactly what my teacher teaches, but at a much lower price. And if it really is the case, this is not cool at all! I am all for out-of class practicing, but if you want practice-buddies, ask around in your class, not put up an advert. And I agree with Roshanna - it is ok to ask people to share studio cost, but that is pretty much it.

Bast, do you know the teacher mentioned in the advert? Maybe it is a good idea to turn her/his attention to it?

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as she mentioned the word students she began undercutting her own teacher. Call her teacher & ask if she gave the student the okay to do this. If so, then it's cool (at least to the person who matters) and if not, the teacher knows what's going on and can deal with it as she so chooses.

Post Thanks / Like

Shyster, that's for sure. Definitely not ethical at all, and why would I pay to practice with her when I can practice many other things from YouTube for free? I hope no one is gullible enough to fall for this.

In one of Montana's beautiful smaller towns
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for practicing with my fellow class/dancemates to build deeper relationships with them and to maybe smooth
    out some rough spots we may have. We also share and learn from each other all them time. But as a student, I
    would never claim to be at a level to instruct. I see how involved that is when I watch my capable instructor. Being
    in a class with a comprehensive instructor doesn't make me want to teach, it makes me want to scrutinize who I learn
    from.

It shouldn't take long for the instructor in this situation to catch on to what her student is doing if she didn't okay this.
    Pretty tacky behavior in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I read to me like a poorly worded attempt to form a troop and the "good deal" is to cover expenses. Probably not the best thought out ad or idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the advertiser herself hasn't quite fleshed out what she actually intends to do.

She’s flirting with three separate ideas here:

1. Finding practice buddies to form a practice group
    2. Forming a troupe
    3. Teaching a class

These are very different goals, which require different approaches. If all she wants is a practice group, then I’d suggest finding people to practice with, but not setting up a charge. In a practice group, everyone is more or less equal, giving and taking knowledge and tips and learning something from one another.

From the moment someone steps up as a leader to actually teach or lead this group, then it becomes a class, or troupe (depending on the goals and dynamics). At that point, it becomes okay to charge the students/members.

If one is teaching a class, the price for the class should not be far from the standard price for belly dance classes, so as not to undercut other teachers. If one is leading a troupe, it is acceptable to set up troupe dues in order to recover costs incurred. $5 sounds like a more reasonable troupe due than a class fee, but it depends on a lot of variables.

Starting a troupe seems to be more in line with this person’s goals, but if that’s what she wants to do, she needs to focus on that and not try to make it into something else (like a class or practice group). If what she wants is a class or a practice group, the $5 charge is either too low (for a class) or unnecessary and exploitative (for a practice group).

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

My first reaction to this was, "What? What?? WHAT?!?!?" >:0

Definitely inform her teacher of her activity; she can decide what to do with her. I just hope newbies to bellydance don't respond to her ad. I can see the potential for ALL kinds of trouble, physical and legal, not to mention if she does manage to attract some "students," the low quality of "instruction" they'd receive. Things like this absolutely burn my biscuits!!! >:/

Whoops, I was going to say that f I were a teacher, and a student of mine pulled this kind of bull-baloney AND dragged MY name into it, she'd be shimmying all the way to legal court! >:/
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 05-22-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Tacky-tacky. If she was looking for folks to share the cost of a practice space with her it would be different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast