Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of me wants to think the best of this person and say she just poorly worded her attempt to share the cost of practice space. If this is not the case then I find a lot wrong with that. You should never charge someone to practice with you because well they wont learn anything because you aren't prepared to break down the movements for other people and explain them in multiple ways in order for some one to understand what you are doing.

As a former teacher I just don't like it, if you are doing this for the joy of practice then no cost should be present unless specifically state "for practice space".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Safran View Post
    What it reads to me is - I will give you exactly what my teacher teaches, but at a much lower price. And if it really is the case, this is not cool at all! I am all for out-of class practicing, but if you want practice-buddies, ask around in your class, not put up an advert. And I agree with Roshanna - it is ok to ask people to share studio cost, but that is pretty much it.

Bast, do you know the teacher mentioned in the advert? Maybe it is a good idea to turn her/his attention to it?
    No I don't and I thought I pretty much knew all of the teachers in my area. She did reference tribal style and I am not aware of any teachers near me who do tribal, but this could be because I'm not in that loop.

I also have no idea who the student is. If one of my classmates did that I would have to say something to them.

If it was one of the teachers I knew personally, I would have a quiet word. My reaction was pretty much the same as everyone's here, but at first I thought maybe I was over reacting.

I often have classmates around to practice but that is a symbiotic relationship, no money changes hands. We have all put in a few $ for studio time to prepare for upcomming performances but none of us were playing teacher.

I want to say maybe it was a bit of a newbie mistake, but really an intermediate dancer should know better, and like Farasha said, it could open up a world of trouble for this dancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Bast, pm me the teacher's name. I thought for a while that we might be moving to Brisbane so I researched everywhere from Caboolture to Shorncliffe to Beenleigh to Ipswich and chances are I may know how to get in contact with her.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munniko View Post
    Most of me wants to think the best of this person and say she just poorly worded her attempt to share the cost of practice space.
    That shows you are a kind person. But I don't buy poorly worded.

I offer classes only $5.00. Good quality and good for both my students and me.
    The mindset seems quite clear to me. Classes implies teacher and students, and then she said it.

I would avoid this with a 10 foot pole. Whose benefit is this for - the "teacher" who admits she is doing this to practise, or the students? As Yame said, it looks like several concepts are being muddled up here, and IMO that is a recipe for disaster on many levels.

Getting together to practise and sharing expenses is completely different and I'd have thought most teachers would be thrilled that their students were that dedicated. I do think you need to be very careful that it doesn't tip over into a teacher/student situation though (undercutting, inexperienced students teaching each other wrong stuff... ).

Post Thanks / Like

I have a question for those of you who said this person's teacher should be told about it: What, exactly, would you expect the teacher to do about it? I don't think there's much the teacher can do to stop it.

Post Thanks / Like

We're programmed from kindergarten to "tell the teacher" if anything is wrong.

However loathsome, deplorable, unethical, and downright tacky a student's behavior may be, what she does outside my classroom is none of my business and beyond my control.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    I have a question for those of you who said this person's teacher should be told about it: What, exactly, would you expect the teacher to do about it? I don't think there's much the teacher can do to stop it.
    I was hoping that the teacher could talk to the student and teach her about ethics and about the risk she would be putting herself in if she went through with this not-so-well-thought-out idea. I would want MY teacher to let me know if I were fixing to do something that could get me in a heap of trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    Bast, pm me the teacher's name. I thought for a while that we might be moving to Brisbane so I researched everywhere from Caboolture to Shorncliffe to Beenleigh to Ipswich and chances are I may know how to get in contact with her.
    The teacher's name is not mentioned, only who the teacher studied with. I'll pm you the original ad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    It's not so much a matter of stopping it from happening so much as giving the teacher the opportunity to talk to the student involved about it. Or to at least know it's happening. I know I'd be horrified if one of my students decided to start undercutting me (no matter how noble her intentions) and nobody told me about it. I'd want to know. Personally, I'd take the opportunity to talk to the student and maybe guide them towards teacher training of some sort so that at the very least nobody got hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

If this person is using the teacher's material to teach to others then I think the teacher should be told. She might not be able to do anything about this particular situation but for the future, begin to include more clauses about usage of her material, and even include some advice on ethical behaviour in her classes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast