Charging people to practice with you? Hmmmm

Duvet

Instead of contacting the teacher, why not just contact the advertiser directly and tell her your thoughts and comments?

Telling tales behind her back, to the teacher who has no control over what students do outside of class, creating potential conflict, paranoia and embarrassment for the teacher, class and student, is not the first thing to do. If you want to give the advertiser advice over what she is doing, it is better to come from open responses to what her advert says rather than overt investigations over who she learnt with and presumed motives. If the advert is just badly worded and ill thought out, then the direct approach will illicit that information and lead to quicker rectification than a prolonged Chinese-whisper approach. Your advise might open her eyes to a perception she might not have seen.

If she is purposefully undercutting her teacher and trying to make a fast buck from other people, and treats your experience and advise with contempt, then you might consider seeking her teacher out if you felt like getting involved. But I'm not sure how the teacher might help if your own advise has been ignored.

Jane

The teacher could do something to stop it *if* it is her intellectual materials which are being taught without her permission. I wonder if the class is being advertised as a "practice" because of those issues and if the advertiser is using that as a loophole.

Best case scenario, this is a very poorly worded satellite practice session of the school and run with the teacher's permission by an assistant. :think:

Munniko

I feel like yes the advertiser, if this is an ad truly aimed to put a little bit of change in her pocket at the teacher's expense would not listen to some random faceless entity telling her she shouldn't do it. I find that very often when people don't have a face to connect with a consequence they really don't care. While if you are confronted with a face, especially if you know the face, then you are more likely to think about what you are doing. This is one of the reasons I like to talk to people face to face because things can't be lost and you can take body language ques.

I would say that I would really really like to know if someone I taught was doing this mainly for safety sake. I know we are all drilled the basics when we start to dance like how to stand to prevent injury. but many students don't realize the more subtle things they could do and mess up their knee or get just enough of balance to break an ankle. Especially if the student planned on using the teacher's dance space (renting it or whatever) that will all come back to her. This is not a good idea in more ways than just ethically wrong and it could hurt more than feelings.

Darshiva

Instead of contacting the teacher, why not just contact the advertiser directly and tell her your thoughts and comments?

Telling tales behind her back, to the teacher who has no control over what students do outside of class, creating potential conflict, paranoia and embarrassment for the teacher, class and student, is not the first thing to do. If you want to give the advertiser advice over what she is doing, it is better to come from open responses to what her advert says rather than overt investigations over who she learnt with and presumed motives. If the advert is just badly worded and ill thought out, then the direct approach will illicit that information and lead to quicker rectification than a prolonged Chinese-whisper approach. Your advise might open her eyes to a perception she might not have seen.

If she is purposefully undercutting her teacher and trying to make a fast buck from other people, and treats your experience and advise with contempt, then you might consider seeking her teacher out if you felt like getting involved. But I'm not sure how the teacher might help if your own advise has been ignored.

That is an excellent idea and one I hadn't considered.